Syria War: 16 Perish in a Car Bomb Near Aleppo

13

A car bomb has blasted a convoy of coaches carrying evacuees from government-held towns near Aleppo in Syria, reportedly killing 16 people. It shattered coaches and set cars on fire, leaving a trail of bodies, as the convoy waited at a marshalling point in rebel-held territory at Rashidin. Thousands of evacuees from both sides of Syria’s civil war have been stuck in hostile territory since Friday.

The “Four Towns” deal was meant to relieve suffering in areas under siege. Some 30,000 besieged people would be taken out of two rebel-held towns and two under government control but, according to AFP news agency, up to 5,000 government evacuees and 2,200 from rebel towns are now stranded. Last month, the UN described the situation in the pro-government north-western towns of Foah and Kefraya, and the rebel-held towns of Madaya and Zabadani near Damascus, as “catastrophic”. More than 64,000 civilians are “trapped in a cycle of daily violence and deprivation”, it said. ‘Starving to death’ in Madaya Madaya, where children resort to suicide Why is there a war in Syria? ‘Sad and angry’ Rebels say Damascus breached the terms of the deal brokered by Iran and Qatar, accusing the government of trying to bring out more loyalist fighters from than agreed. A previous attempt at mutual evacuations failed in December when rebels burnt coaches due to be sent to the towns.

READ ALSO:   How you can get the body of a Victoria's Secret Angel

“There’s no drinking water or food,” Madaya resident Ahmed, 24, told Reuters news agency earlier, speaking from the bus garage in Aleppo where he and others had been reportedly waiting since Friday night. “The bus garage is small so there’s not much space to move around. We’re sad and angry about what has happened.” A rebel fighter stands near buses carrying people evacuated from the two villages of Kefraya and FoahImage copyrightREUTERS Image caption Dozens of buses are being used in the evacuation The evacuees are meant to be transferred to rebel-held territory in Idlib province. An AFP correspondent , west of Aleppo speaking before the reports of an explosion, said coaches carrying government evacuees had not moved in 30 hours.

The Syrian Arab Red Crescent was distributing food and water to the waiting passengers, who include 3,700 civilians, the agency adds. Many people are reported to have died as a result of shortages of food or medicine in the four towns. Foah and Kefraya, most of whose residents are Shia Muslims, have been encircled by rebels and al-Qaeda-linked Sunni Muslim jihadists since March 2015.

Madaya and Zabadani, which are predominantly Sunni, have been besieged since June 2015 by the Syrian army and fighters from Lebanon’s Shia Muslim Hezbollah movement.A car bomb has blasted a convoy of coaches carrying evacuees from government-held towns near Aleppo in Syria, reportedly killing 16 people.

READ ALSO:   Serena Hotel Has Come Out To Dismiss Any Association With The Alleged ‘White Men And Black Women Only’ Party

It shattered coaches and set cars on fire, leaving a trail of bodies, as the convoy waited at a marshalling point in rebel-held territory at Rashidin.

Thousands of evacuees from both sides of Syria’s civil war have been stuck in hostile territory since Friday.

The “Four Towns” deal was meant to relieve suffering in areas under siege.

Some 30,000 besieged people would be taken out of two rebel-held towns and two under government control but, according to AFP news agency, up to 5,000 government evacuees and 2,200 from rebel towns are now stranded.

Last month, the UN described the situation in the pro-government north-western towns of Foah and Kefraya, and the rebel-held towns of Madaya and Zabadani near Damascus, as “catastrophic”.

More than 64,000 civilians are “trapped in a cycle of daily violence and deprivation”, it said.

Rebels say Damascus breached the terms of the deal brokered by Iran and Qatar, accusing the government of trying to bring out more loyalist fighters from than agreed.

A previous attempt at mutual evacuations failed in December when rebels burnt coaches due to be sent to the towns.

“There’s no drinking water or food,” Madaya resident Ahmed, 24, told Reuters news agency earlier, speaking from the bus garage in Aleppo where he and others had been reportedly waiting since Friday night.

READ ALSO:   Judge tells deadlocked jury in Etan Patz case to keep going

“The bus garage is small so there’s not much space to move around. We’re sad and angry about what has happened.”

A rebel fighter stands near buses carrying people evacuated from the two villages of Kefraya and Foah

Image copyrightREUTERS Image captionDozens of buses are being used in the evacuation

The evacuees are meant to be transferred to rebel-held territory in Idlib province.

An AFP correspondent , west of Aleppo speaking before the reports of an explosion, said coaches carrying government evacuees had not moved in 30 hours.

The Syrian Arab Red Crescent was distributing food and water to the waiting passengers, who include 3,700 civilians, the agency adds.

Many people are reported to have died as a result of shortages of food or medicine in the four towns.

Foah and Kefraya, most of whose residents are Shia Muslims, have been encircled by rebels and al-Qaeda-linked Sunni Muslim jihadists since March 2015.

Madaya and Zabadani, which are predominantly Sunni, have been besieged since June 2015 by the Syrian army and fighters from Lebanon’s Shia Muslim Hezbollah movement.

source: BBC

Do you have more to share about this story – photos or video etc – you can send them to: (newsghana101@gmail.com)

You might also like More from author