We asked our readers in the OMGVoice Community how they feel about driving in Ghana.
We heard from close to 400 people. While obviously, we can’t include all the responses, here are some that represent the diverse range of perspectives people shared.
1. Drivers who leave the bus whilst it’s being loaded only for the mate to spend another 5 minutes looking for them after the bus is full. Most annoyingly they don’t even apologise to passengers for wasting their time.
Submitted by: Dzifa Atubra
2. When u try to overtake a vehicle and suddenly they decide to speed up especially taxi drivers…its not a race. Drivers need to know that, they have to allow by slowing down a bit as soon as they notice another vehicle is overtaking them.
Submitted by: Eunice Ampofo
3. The fact that drivers act as if the will never be pedestrians even if it’s one day packing your car to cross the road. They treat pedestrians very poorly
Submitted by: Blaise Asanga
4. When the driver changes the gear 5 times a munite just because his hands moves around your thighs when changing !
Submitted by: Debbie Asamoah Antwi
5. When slow heavy duty trucks become fast lane huggers and won’t move to the out lane. So annoying.
Also Broken down vehicles left on the side of the road. ???????
Submitted by: Tawfiq Deen Umar
6. Trucks on the speed Lane which is not moving fast.
7. When the driver branch to a feeling station especially when you’re in a hurry.
8. Early morning trotro riders with chewing stick in mouth spitting indiscriminately through the window.
9. Sunyani taxi drivers.
When you are following them, they will just branch from the road and stop to pick a passenger then after they will show the indicator light to that effect. They always turn and stop before they show their indicator light.
Submitted by Kweku Darko Mensah
10. When commercial drivers slow down in the middle of the road in search of a passenger.
They become very unpredictable. You can’t tell if they want to stop or not. Most don’t even use their traffic indicators they join and exit the road and lanes at will with little or no regards to other drivers.