Femi was born in London to Fela and Remi Kuti and grew up in the former Nigerian capital, Lagos. His mother soon left his father, taking Femi to live with her. In 1977, however, Femi chose to move in with his father. Femi started playing the Saxophone at age 15 and he eventually became a member of his father's band.
Like his father, Femi has shown a strong commitment to social and political causes throughout his career.
He created his own band Positive Force in the late 1980s with Dele Sosimi (Gbedu Resurrection), former key-board player of Fela Anikulapo Kuti. His international career began in 1988 when he was invited by the French Cultural Centre in Lagos and Christian Mousset to perform at the Festival d'Angoulême (France), the New Morning Club in Paris and the Moers Festival in Germany.
In 2001, Femi collaborated on his album Fight to Win with a number of U.S. musicians, including Common, Mos Def, and Jaguar Wright.
In 2002, Femi's mother, who had played an influential role in Femi's life, died at the age of 60. Femi's son currently appears as part of his act, playing alto saxophone.
Also in 2002, Femi contributed a remake of his father's classic song, "Water No Get Enemy", to Red Hot & Riot, a compilation CD in tribute to Fela Kuti that was released by the Red Hot Organization and MCA. His track was created in collaboration with hip hop and R&B artists, D'Angelo, Macy Gray, The Soultronics, Nile Rodgers, and Roy Hargrove, and all proceeds from the CD were donated to charities dedicated to raising AIDS awareness or fighting the disease.
Femi Kuti's voice is featured in the videogame Grand Theft Auto IV, where he is the host of radio station IF 99 (International Funk 99, described as "playing a great selection of classics from West Africa, the US and elsewhere").
In similar fashion as his father, there have been complaints of Kuti's criticism of his homeland Nigeria, specifically in the song "Sorry Sorry". "What Will Tomorrow Bring" and "97".
Femi has been nominated for a Grammy award four times in the world music category in 2003, 2010, 2012 and 2013 but has never won.
On 19 December 2014 a management deal between Chocolate City Music Group and Femi Kuti was reached. The news was announced via the Chocolate City Music official instagram account, as well as Audu Maikori social media accounts.
On 24 April 2015, Femi Kuti headlined the 2 Kings concert alongside his brother Seun Kuti. The concert is significant as it is the first concert that the brothers have performed together.
Femi Kuti (1995, Tabu/Motown)
Shoki Shoki (1998, Barclay/Polygram/Fontana MCA)
Fight to Win (2001, Barclay/Polygram/Fontana MCA/Wraase)
Day by Day (2008, Wrasse Records)
Africa for Africa (2010 /2011, Wrasse Records / Knitting Factory Records)
No Place for My Dream (2013, Knitting Factory Records)
Africa Shrine (Live CD) (2004, P-Vine)
Live at the Shrine (Deluxe Edition DVD) + Africa Shrine (Live CD) (2005, Palm Pictures/Umvd)
The Best of Femi Kuti (2004, Umvd/Wraase)
Femi Kuti The Definitive Collection (2007, Wrasse Records)
"Vampires" (on the album Radio Retaliation by Thievery Corporation) (2008, ESL Music)
Hope for the Hopeless (2008) Collaboration with Brett Dennen
Grand Theft Auto IV soundtrack (2008, IF99)
No Cause For Alarm? (1989, Polygram)
M.Y.O.B. (1991, Meodie)
"Ala Jalkoum" (on the album Rachid Taha Live) (2001, Mondo Melodia)
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- So Hilarious: Crazy S*x Video of a Young Couple Surfaces on Social (WATCH)
- Big and Fresh Boobs: Beautiful Ghanaian Girl Wrecks Internet with Private Photos
- VIDEO: Hot Girl Shows Off Her S*xy Body by Twerking Seductively on Tape
- BREAKING: Gambia’s President-elect Adama Barrow Has Been Killed
- Meet the Beautiful Ghanaian Thief: How Martha Amakye-A Stanbic Bank Award Winning Female Employee Swindled Customers Out of Large Amounts of Cash
- Learn How To Seduce Your Man – With Bibi Bright And Akumaa Mama Zimbi (VIDEO)
- WATCH: Christabel Ekeh Wows Fans As She Uploads Twerking VIDEO In Very SKIMPY Skirt
- OMG! Hot Girls Attract Attention By Twerking Sexily While Washing Car (Video)
- Ghanaians Are Hypocrites For Hailing Rashida The Black Beauty – Afia Schwarzenegger Claims, Proving Her Massive Hypocrisy
- Help! Who Can Pull Off My Cloths and Bath Me - Cossy Orjiakor Says She's Dirty & Horny (Video)
- Married Afia Schwarzenegger Goes Topless. AGAIN!
- Guy Leaks N*de Pics of Lady Caught Dating Friend's Father
- Prostitute Fights for Her Life After Glass Table She was Having S*x on Broke Leaving Her Badly Cut (PHOTOS)
- World's Most Identical Twins Sisters Who Share a Boyfriend Now Set To Marry Him (Photos)
- BUSTED! Adulterous Kenyan Couple Gets Stuck During S*x (VIDEO)
- PHOTOS: Kenpong Survives Ghastly Accident Which Mangles His $50,000 BMW
- Here Are The 26 Owusu Bempah Prophecies That Have Got Ghanaians Fuming With Anger
- Curvy Video Vixen Goes 'N*ked' to Promote Herself on Social Media (Photos)
- Fetty Wap Sex Tape With Ex-Girlfriend Gets Leaked (Video 18+)
- Supreme Court is Considering Suits Brought Before It to Re-arrest ‘Montie 3’
- 24 Amazing Photos Of Asantehemaa’s Funeral That Show The Rich Ashanti Culture
- Rex Omar Has Just Said Something About Akufo-Addo And It's Not Nice
- ‘I’m Here To F*ck Sh*t Up, Not To Be A Role Model’ – Princess Shyngle Speaks Her Mind And Here Are 5 Photos To Prove Her Point
- Lord Paper At It Again! – See N*de PHOTO of Himself and a Girl Lying in Bed
- AFCON 2017: Bootilicious Socialite Flaunts Massive Backside in Support of Ivory Coast (PHOTOS)
- 6 Most Evil People To Ever Live On Earth
- VIDEO: Check Out Akrobeto And Funny Face Reading Out The News On UTV
- Gospel Musician, Bro. Sammy Threatened to Kill My Baby After Impregnating Me – UK-Based Ghanaian Singer Alleges
- AUDIO: How Martha Amakye Scammed Me Out of 10,000 GHS I Invested Into A Stanbic Bank’s Investment Package - A Victim Tells Her Heartbreaking Story
- REPORT: Son of Nigerian Government Official, 26, Raped And Killed a High Class Escort Just Weeks After Arriving in Scotland for University
- Katelyn Nicole Davis suicide video is going viral - and cops are powerless to stop it
- SHOCKING! Married Man Disgraced and Beaten Up After He was Caught Red-handed Sleeping with Another Man's Wife (Video)
- “I’ve Never Had S*x With Kofi Adjorlolo” – Victoria Lebene Mekpah
- WTF? Imagine What this Hot Lady Was Caught Doing Discreetly in Her Bedroom (VIDEO)
- Online Trolls Once Dissed This Girl For Dating A ‘Black Beauty’ – But She Continues To Defy Them By Posting Loved Up Pics
- VIDEO: DKB Reacts to Fake “Plastic Cindy Rice” Video Online
- Daasebre’s Family Claimed I Killed Him for Rituals - Kennedy Agyepong
- Trump Bans T.B Joshua From America Over False Prophecy
- MEET The Ghanaian Lady With the Widest Hip This 2017
- Woman Takes Big Snake To Church To Challenge Pastor
- OMG! Efya Kisses Kojo Antwi On Stage+ MORE
- Check out PHOTOS FROM London’s ‘No Trousers on the Tube Day’ Celebration