Kiki Gyan (7 June 1957 – 10 June 2004), also known as Kiki Djan, was a Ghanaian musician. He was the keyboardist of the band Osibisa, once popular in the 1970s. He also recorded and produced a series of disco records. He was a prodigy who could play keyboards exceptionally well.
Kiki Gyan had his first education at the Chapel Hill Preparatory School in Takoradi and later went to the Tarkwah Secondary School. Kiki?s parents were by then playing the keyboard and some other musical instruments.
During those days, children had no encouragement from their parents to take up music as a profession because it was looked down upon rather they wanted their children to be doctors, pilots, accountants, etc. Kiki however found himself deeply involved in the music profession because of the love he had for it.
He loved playing some musical instruments especially the keyboard since he enjoyed it. Kiki dropped out of secondary school when he was in form three and came to Accra to play music. Here in Accra, he had the chance of joining interesting bands like the Avengers, Blue Monks, Boom Talents and the Pargadija Band.
The Pargadija Band had the chance of travelling to England and that was where Kiki met the Osibisa band. When it was time for the band to return to Ghana, Kiki was the only member to show up at the Kotoka International Airport. The remaining members had vanished in search for greener pastures. The story became news all over the media houses in Ghana.
In 1972, Osibisa visited Ghana for the first time. Kiki paid them regular visits in the hotel they were lodging. One day, a member of Osibisa, Mac Tontoh, the junior brother of Teddy, the founder of the Osibisa called Kiki and told him that he was too good to be in Ghana with his talent.
After Osibisa left for England, Kiki went to the Republic of Benin which was by then called Dahomey. There he played with a group called Santiagos for two months and he managed to make some money to fly to England.
When he got there, the Osibisa band was on a tour in the United States so he didn?t get the opportunity to meet Osibisa. However, Mac Tontoh?s younger brother allowed him to stay in his house till they came back. Luckily for him, Osibisa?s keyboard player, Robert Bailey from Trinidad (Western East) left the group. Mac Tontoh therefore decided to conduct an audition for a new keyboard player.
During the audition, Mac Tontoh realized that Kiki was so good that he could play all their songs so he became their new keyboard player. Because he was so good and could play better than the other guys in the group, the other members started complaining that he was too young to be with them but Mac Tontoh knowing his ability insisted that he should be allowed to play.
Two weeks later they had to go for a tour in the States which was one of Kiki?s terrible tours he will never forget. He said he went through difficulties. As the only young guy in the group, he carried the group?s luggage everywhere that he became exhausted and fell sick. He however forced himself to play during the tour.
The Queen of England invited the band to the Buckingham Palace to play. The Queen was so much impressed that she even didn?t know what to do to herself. There was an All African get together in Nigeria called FESTAC in 1977 and it was here Kiki met stars like Marvin Gay, Peter Tosh, Steve Wonder, the group known as Third World and many more.
Kiki was married to Fela?s first daughter, Yeni Anikulapo but they later divorced due to pressures from a Ghanaian woman to whom he later got married to. He had his only daughter with her who is currently in a university in the States now.
He was rated the 8th keyboardist in the whole world. Apart from Russia and South Africa, Osibisa travelled throughout the whole world. Osibisa is a group made up of Ghanaians, Nigerians and West Indies and has made a mark on planet earth. They have also reached heights that no other group has been able to make till now. ?We could sing to a crowd of about 200,000 people and you would see some going naked, others going crazy and some even die? Kiki said.
Kiki during stated his reason for withdrawing from the group. He said as a keyboard player, he used to write most of the songs but because he was so young, Teddy would rather take the credit and this did not go very well with him since he felt cheated.
One day they left for a live concert at the Royal Festival Hall in UK. The songs they sang over there were going to be recorded as an album which was meant to be a hit. It was there that he (Kiki) requested for an amount of hundred pounds which was a big money in those times but the leaders were unable to provide that for him so he decided to leave the group.
There were some other Ghanaians who felt cheated but could not voice their opinions so when Kiki took his decision, they went along with him. Some of these people are the late Jake Soboa, a Nigerian and Kofi Aryivor. Kiki left for the States and then to Nigeria where he made it big and recorded his solo albums ?24hrs? and ?Rose Mary? which became hits in Nigeria. According to Kiki, he came out during President Shagari of Nigeria?s reign. At that time, the living condition was very good.
He later went back to the States where he associated himself with some bad gangs who introduced him to drug addiction and that was the beginning of his crisis and downfall. In fact he started using the money he had in purchasing hard drugs such as cocaine, heroine, etc.
Kiki said his wife then asked for divorce since he had taken the drugs to be his new wife and neither catered for her nor had any feeling for her. He says he now realises the effects the absence of his wife is having on him.
Kiki spent almost all the money he had on drugs so he decided to come to Ghana for his money from some people who owed him but nobody was willing to pay. He had to use the little money he had on him for drugs and that has been his end till now. He is now at the International Health Care Center at Roman Ridge where he is being catered for by his producer financially.
Kiki?s advice to the youth is that ?Stay away from drugs and focus on whatever you are doing and also have faith in the good Lord.
His last words were ?To my only daughter Vanessa Gyan who is 21 years old and currently schooling at one of the universities in the States, I am sorry about whatever I did. I believe God?s time is the best and don?t forget that blood is thicker than water and to my Dad, Kwasi Gyan and Mum, Awoh Myers who are still alive today, I am sorry for disappointing you all? Kiki lamented.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- So Hilarious: Crazy S*x Video of a Young Couple Surfaces on Social (WATCH)
- Big and Fresh Boobs: Beautiful Ghanaian Girl Wrecks Internet with Private Photos
- Rashida Black Beauty Takes Home The Prize For Viral Video Of The Year – ALL The Winners From The Jigwe Awards 2016 HERE
- VIDEO: Hot Girl Shows Off Her S*xy Body by Twerking Seductively on Tape
- Furious A Plus Tears Into Kwahu NPP Victory Jam Ft Shatta Wale And Other Artists – People Voted For Jobs, Not Jams! (WATCH VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Gambia’s President-elect Adama Barrow Has Been Killed
- Meet the Beautiful Ghanaian Thief: How Martha Amakye-A Stanbic Bank Award Winning Female Employee Swindled Customers Out of Large Amounts of Cash
- Learn How To Seduce Your Man – With Bibi Bright And Akumaa Mama Zimbi (VIDEO)
- OMG! Hot Girls Attract Attention By Twerking Sexily While Washing Car (Video)
- WATCH: Christabel Ekeh Wows Fans As She Uploads Twerking VIDEO In Very SKIMPY Skirt
- Ghanaians Are Hypocrites For Hailing Rashida The Black Beauty – Afia Schwarzenegger Claims, Proving Her Massive Hypocrisy
- VIDEO: Rashida Black Beauty Gives All The Background To Her Doomed Relationship With Kushman In This Interview
- Help! Who Can Pull Off My Cloths and Bath Me - Cossy Orjiakor Says She's Dirty & Horny (Video)
- Married Afia Schwarzenegger Goes Topless. AGAIN!
- World's Most Identical Twins Sisters Who Share a Boyfriend Now Set To Marry Him (Photos)
- Married Woman In S*x Scandal
- Prostitute Fights for Her Life After Glass Table She was Having S*x on Broke Leaving Her Badly Cut (PHOTOS)
- Rumoured Tyga And Kylie Jenner S*x Tape Hits The Internet (AGAIN)
- PHOTOS: Kenpong Survives Ghastly Accident Which Mangles His $50,000 BMW
- Here Are The 26 Owusu Bempah Prophecies That Have Got Ghanaians Fuming With Anger
- Supreme Court is Considering Suits Brought Before It to Re-arrest ‘Montie 3’
- Rex Omar Has Just Said Something About Akufo-Addo And It's Not Nice
- BUSTED! Adulterous Kenyan Couple Gets Stuck During S*x (VIDEO)
- Curvy Video Vixen Goes 'N*ked' to Promote Herself on Social Media (Photos)
- LOL! Couple Releases Crazily S*xy Pre-Wedding Pictures
- NPP Drags Mahama To Court For Appointing CHRAJ And NCCE Bosses With Less Than Three Weeks Left In Office
- 24 Amazing Photos Of Asantehemaa’s Funeral That Show The Rich Ashanti Culture
- WATCH VIDEO: Turkish Police Officer Assassinates Russian Ambassador
- 11 Quotes From President Nana Akufo-Addo’s Inaugural Speech That Will Make You Believe In Ghana Again
- Lord Paper At It Again! – See N*de PHOTO of Himself and a Girl Lying in Bed
- AUDIO: How Martha Amakye Scammed Me Out of 10,000 GHS I Invested Into A Stanbic Bank’s Investment Package - A Victim Tells Her Heartbreaking Story
- VIDEO: Check Out Akrobeto And Funny Face Reading Out The News On UTV
- AFCON 2017: Bootilicious Socialite Flaunts Massive Backside in Support of Ivory Coast (PHOTOS)
- Katelyn Nicole Davis suicide video is going viral - and cops are powerless to stop it
- Gospel Musician, Bro. Sammy Threatened to Kill My Baby After Impregnating Me – UK-Based Ghanaian Singer Alleges
- Online Trolls Once Dissed This Girl For Dating A ‘Black Beauty’ – But She Continues To Defy Them By Posting Loved Up Pics
- ‘Your Wife Wants To F*ck M3nsa’ – Wanlov Lays Out D-Black’s Dirty Laundry In Diss Track ‘Ah Well’ – LISTEN HERE
- Diamond Appiah Piles More Misery On Mzbel – Mocks Her On Social Media For Crying
- ‘I’m Here To F*ck Sh*t Up, Not To Be A Role Model’ – Princess Shyngle Speaks Her Mind And Here Are 5 Photos To Prove Her Point
- 17 Lovely Photos Of President Mahama Taking Nana Addo On Flagstaff House Tour
- VIDEO: DKB Reacts to Fake “Plastic Cindy Rice” Video Online
- Lordina Mahama Fingered In Corrupt COCOBOD Scheme By Assin Central MP Kennedy Agyepong