KWESI SELASSIE, a.k.a. “The Lion of Africa,” was born and raised in Sekondi-Takoradi, the capital twin-city of the Western Region of Ghana in West Africa. However, both his parents hail from Agona Nsaba in the Central Region of Ghana.
At a very tender age of 11 years, he began singing and playing the guitar. He would simply sit under palm trees, exploding with curiosity while experimenting with wires placed over empty cans to simulate the guitar. Other instruments, such as the bass guitar, drums and percussion aroused his interest, and he endeavored to learn how to play each of them. It would not be long before he was dubbed the “musical prince” by his Takoradi secondary school mates and everyone in his hometown.
Strongly influenced by his mom and dad, Kwesi decided to move to London, in pursuit of a law career. Like most parents, Mr. Kweku Sackey-Selassie and his wife, the Queen Mother Nana Baah Agyekum 1, encouraged Kwesi to strive for a professional career. However, his drive to become a musician was far too strong to be reversed. After three years, Kwesi ended his preliminary studies in law much to the disappointment of his parents and returned to Ghana to embrace his first love, music.
It was upon his return to Ghana that Kwesi earned the title “The Lion of Africa.” He reappeared on the music scene with the rage of a true African Lion. Kwesi began singing and playing guitar with many spectacular bands all over West Africa such as Afro Soul System led by Jean-Claude Bamogo in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso; Ndeep from Dakar, Senegal; 22 Band of KanKan, Guinea; the legendary Bembaya Jazz of Conakry, Guinea; The Scorpion Band of Barra Village, Gambia; The System Band from Freetown, Sierra Leon; The Lantics Band and the Osabarima Band fromTakoradi, Ghana. One of the most memorable performances was in Nzerekore, Guinea, West Africa, for a traditional ceremonial event in honor of President Lansana Conte.
Maturing as an artist, Kwesi began writing, arranging, and producing songs in his native language Fanti as well as in English, French, and ten other African dialects, making him the preeminent multi-lingual artist originating from Africa. He also began traveling and performing around the world. In 1990, Kwesi was invited by Mr. Mario Gauthier (a friend who later became his manager) to Quebec City, Canada where Kwesi would begin the upward trend in the global music industry.
Kwesi has maintained the original blend of his music comprised of grinding highlife (original music from Ghana), Reggae, Ragga, and a touch of European influence, as what he calls Highlife-Dub Reggae. His musical themes deal with emancipation of all people, love, peace, unity, spirituality, human rights, and socio-economic justice, a.k.a. conscious reggae music.
In 1995, Kwesi performed at the 11th Canadian Reggae Music Awards, and was nominated in 1997 for his CD entitled “False Prophets,” and nominated again in 1999 for “Judgment Day” as the Top Reggae Album of the Year. In November 1999, Kwesi took the African Music Awards in Toronto, Canada by storm as he was nominated in four of ten categories for Best Album, Composer, Release, and won Best Producer of the Year award for his fourth album “Judgment Day.”
Kwesi has toured in various parts of the world, including Canada, USA, Africa, Germany, Holland and France. According to fans of “The Lion,” Kwesi is an artist of exceptional character, charisma, incredible enthusiasm, and has the ability to mesmerize music fans with high flying energy. With six acclaimed CD albums to his credit, Kwesi was nominated for “Reggae Recording of the Year” at the 2007 Canadian JUNO Awards for his last CD album “SURVIVAL.” Kwesi is among a handful of multi-lingual reggae artists uniquely bridging the African and Caribbean cultures.
Kwesi’s latest CD album “PROMISED LAND,” featuring 13 songs and 4 instrumental dubs, was released on May 17, 2009 and is available for digital download and at local retail outlets. Kwesi is currently staging live performances in North America, Europe, Middle East, and Africa.
AWARDS & NOMINATIONS
2007: JUNO AWARD NOMINEE FOR “REGGAE RECORDING OF THE YEAR” (CANADA’S MUSIC AWARDS)
2007: TORONTO EXCLUSIVE MAGAZINE AWARDS FOR REGGAE ARTIST “BEST REGGAE ARTIST”, “BEST REGGAE CD ALBUM”, AND “BEST REGGAE SONG” (“No Night inZion”)
2004: “ARTIST APPRECIATION AWARD” (MAMA J PROMOTIONS, TORONTO, CANADA)
2000: GHANAIAN MUSIC ACHEIVEMENT AWARD (THE GHANAIAN NEWS, TORONTO, CANADA)
2000: AWARDED “REGGAE ALBUM OF THE YEAR” (AFRICAN HERITAGE MUSIC AWARDS, TORONTO, CANADA)
2000: “AWARD OF APPRECIATION” (KWAHUMAN ASSOCIATION, TORONTO, CANADA)
1999: NOMINEE FOR “TOP CANADIAN REGGAE ALBUM OF THE YEAR” (16Th ANNUAL CANADIAN REGGAE MUSIC AWARDS”, TORONTO, CANADA)
1999: NOMINEE FOR “BEST REGGAE ALBUM OF THE YEAR” (MUSIC AFRICA, TORONTO, CANADA)
1999: NOMINEE FOR “BEST COMPOSER OF THE YEAR” (MUSIC AFRICA, TORONTO, CANADA)
1999: AWARDED “BEST PRODUCER OF THE YEAR” (MUSIC AFRICA, TORONTO, CANADA)
1998: AWARDED “BEST REGGAE ALBUM OF THE YEAR” (GHANAIAN HERITAGE MUSIC AWARDS, TORONTO, CANADA)
1998: NOMINEE FOR “BEST REGGAE ALBUM OF THE YEAR” (MUSIC AFRICA AWARDS, TORONTO, CANADA)
1997: AWARDED “BEST REGGAE ALBUM OF THE YEAR” (GHANAIAN HERITAGE MUSIC AWARDS, TORONTO, CANADA)
1997: “AWARD OF APPRECIATION” (GHANAIAN HERITAGE MUSIC AWARDS, TORONTO, CANADA)
1997: “AWARD OF MERIT” (BLACK STAR BIG BROTHERS, MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA)
1997: “AWARD OF APPRECIATION” (THE JAMAICAN ASSOCIATION, MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CANADA)
1997: NOMINATED FOR “TOP REGGAE ALBUM OF THE YEAR” (13tH ANNUAL CANADIAN REGGAE MUSIC AWARD, TORONTO, CANADA)
1996: “CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION” (JAMAICAN ASSOCIATION OF MONTREAL)
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- So Hilarious: Crazy S*x Video of a Young Couple Surfaces on Social (WATCH)
- Big and Fresh Boobs: Beautiful Ghanaian Girl Wrecks Internet with Private Photos
- VIDEO: Hot Girl Shows Off Her S*xy Body by Twerking Seductively on Tape
- BREAKING: Gambia’s President-elect Adama Barrow Has Been Killed
- Meet the Beautiful Ghanaian Thief: How Martha Amakye-A Stanbic Bank Award Winning Female Employee Swindled Customers Out of Large Amounts of Cash
- Learn How To Seduce Your Man – With Bibi Bright And Akumaa Mama Zimbi (VIDEO)
- WATCH: Christabel Ekeh Wows Fans As She Uploads Twerking VIDEO In Very SKIMPY Skirt
- OMG! Hot Girls Attract Attention By Twerking Sexily While Washing Car (Video)
- Guy Leaks N*de Pics of Lady Caught Dating Friend's Father
- Ghanaians Are Hypocrites For Hailing Rashida The Black Beauty – Afia Schwarzenegger Claims, Proving Her Massive Hypocrisy
- Help! Who Can Pull Off My Cloths and Bath Me - Cossy Orjiakor Says She's Dirty & Horny (Video)
- Married Afia Schwarzenegger Goes Topless. AGAIN!
- Prostitute Fights for Her Life After Glass Table She was Having S*x on Broke Leaving Her Badly Cut (PHOTOS)
- BUSTED! Adulterous Kenyan Couple Gets Stuck During S*x (VIDEO)
- Fetty Wap Sex Tape With Ex-Girlfriend Gets Leaked (Video 18+)
- World's Most Identical Twins Sisters Who Share a Boyfriend Now Set To Marry Him (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Kenpong Survives Ghastly Accident Which Mangles His $50,000 BMW
- Curvy Video Vixen Goes 'N*ked' to Promote Herself on Social Media (Photos)
- WTF? Imagine What this Hot Lady Was Caught Doing Discreetly in Her Bedroom (VIDEO)
- SHOCKING! Married Man Disgraced and Beaten Up After He was Caught Red-handed Sleeping with Another Man's Wife (Video)
- Here Are The 26 Owusu Bempah Prophecies That Have Got Ghanaians Fuming With Anger
- REPORT: Son of Nigerian Government Official, 26, Raped And Killed a High Class Escort Just Weeks After Arriving in Scotland for University
- ‘I’m Here To F*ck Sh*t Up, Not To Be A Role Model’ – Princess Shyngle Speaks Her Mind And Here Are 5 Photos To Prove Her Point
- 24 Amazing Photos Of Asantehemaa’s Funeral That Show The Rich Ashanti Culture
- Supreme Court is Considering Suits Brought Before It to Re-arrest ‘Montie 3’
- 6 Most Evil People To Ever Live On Earth
- Rex Omar Has Just Said Something About Akufo-Addo And It's Not Nice
- Lord Paper At It Again! – See N*de PHOTO of Himself and a Girl Lying in Bed
- AFCON 2017: Bootilicious Socialite Flaunts Massive Backside in Support of Ivory Coast (PHOTOS)
- AUDIO: I Slept With Nana Addo’s Tight Friends – Says Born Again Lesbian
- VIDEO: Check Out Akrobeto And Funny Face Reading Out The News On UTV
- Trump Bans T.B Joshua From America Over False Prophecy
- MEET The Ghanaian Lady With the Widest Hip This 2017
- Gospel Musician, Bro. Sammy Threatened to Kill My Baby After Impregnating Me – UK-Based Ghanaian Singer Alleges
- “I’ve Never Had S*x With Kofi Adjorlolo” – Victoria Lebene Mekpah
- AUDIO: How Martha Amakye Scammed Me Out of 10,000 GHS I Invested Into A Stanbic Bank’s Investment Package - A Victim Tells Her Heartbreaking Story
- Katelyn Nicole Davis suicide video is going viral - and cops are powerless to stop it
- Online Trolls Once Dissed This Girl For Dating A ‘Black Beauty’ – But She Continues To Defy Them By Posting Loved Up Pics
- VIDEO: DKB Reacts to Fake “Plastic Cindy Rice” Video Online
- Woman Takes Big Snake To Church To Challenge Pastor
- Daasebre’s Family Claimed I Killed Him for Rituals - Kennedy Agyepong
- Meet Roberto, the Man With Longest Manhood in the World as Doctor's Give Insight into His Massive P*nis (Video)