Lupita Nyong'o born March 1, 1983, Lupita is an actress, film and music video director of dual Kenyan and Mexican citizenship. After graduating from Hampshire College with a bachelor's degree in film and theatre studies, Nyong'o worked as a production assistant on several Hollywood films. In 2008 she made her acting debut with the short film East River and subsequently starred in the Kenyan television series Shuga (2009). Also in 2009, she wrote, produced and directed the documentary film In My Genes.
Nyong'o later completed a master's degree in acting from the Yale School of Drama, followed by her first feature film role in Steve McQueen's historical drama 12 Years a Slave (2013). Her role as the slave Patsey in the film was widely acclaimed, earning her theAcademy Award for Best Supporting Actress, among numerous other awards and nominations. In 2014, she was named "The Most Beautiful Woman" by People
Nyong'o was born in Mexico City, Mexico,to Dorothy and Peter Anyang' Nyong'o, a college professor turned politician in Kenya. It is a Luo tradition to name a child after the events of the day, so her parents gave her a Spanish name, Lupita (adiminutive of Guadalupe). She is of Luo descent on both sides of her family, and is the second of six children. Nyong'o identifies as Mexican-Kenyan. Her father is a former Minister for Medical Services in the Kenyan government. At the time of her birth, he was a visiting lecturer in political science at El Colegio de México in Mexico City, and her family had been living in Mexico for three years (returning to Kenya in 1983).
Nyong'o and her family moved back to their native Kenya when she was less than one year old, as her father was appointed a professor at the University of Nairobi. She grew up primarily in Kenya, and describes her upbringing as "middle class, suburban". At age sixteen, her parents sent her back to Mexico for seven months to learn Spanish. During those seven months, Nyong'o lived in Taxco, Guerrero, and took classes at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México's Learning Center for Foreigners.
Nyong'o grew up in an artistic family, where family get-togethers often included performances by the children in the family and trips to see plays. She attended Rusinga International school in Kenya and acted in school plays, with a minor role in Oliver Twist being her first play. At age 14, Nyong'o made her professional acting debut as Juliet in Romeo and Juliet in a production by the Nairobi-based repertory company Phoenix Players. While a member of the Phoenix Players, Nyong'o also performed in the plays "On The Razzle" and "There Goes The Bride".Nyong'o cites the performances of Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey in The Color Purple with inspiring her to pursue a professional acting career.
Nyong'o later attended St. Mary's School in Nairobi, where she received an IB Diploma in 2001 before attending college in the United States. After graduating from Hampshire College with a degree in film and theatre studies, she worked as part of the production crew for many films, including Fernando Meirelles's The Constant Gardener, with Ralph Fiennes, Mira Nair'sThe Namesake and Salvatore Stabile's Where God Left His Shoes. She cites Fiennes as another individual who inspired her to pursue a professional acting career.
She starred in the 2008 short film East River, directed by Marc Grey and shot in Brooklyn. She returned to Kenya in 2008 and starred in the Kenyan television series Shuga, an MTV Base Africa/UNICEF drama about HIV/AIDS prevention. In 2009, she wrote, directed, and produced the documentary In My Genes, about the treatment of Kenya's albinopopulation,which played at several film festivals and won first prize at the 2008 Five College Film Festival.] Nyong'o also directed the music video The Little Things You Do byWahu featuring Bobi Wine, which was nominated for the Best Video Award at the MTV Africa Music Awards 2009.]
She subsequently enrolled for a master's degree in acting at the Yale School of Drama. At Yale she appeared in many stage productions, including Gertrude Stein's Doctor Faustus Lights the Lights, Chekhov's Uncle Vanya, and William Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew and The Winter's Tale. While at Yale, she won the Herschel Williams Prize "awarded to acting students with outstanding ability" during the 2011–12 academic year.
Nyong'o landed her breakthrough role when she was cast for Steve McQueen's historical drama Years a Slave (2013) immediately before graduating from Yale with an MFA in 2012. The film, which met with wide critical acclaim, tells the real-life story of Solomon Northup (played by Chiwitel Ejiofor), a free born African American man who is sold into slavery in 1841. Nyong'o played the role of Patsey, a slave who works alongside Northup at a cotton plantation; her performance met with rave reviews Ian Freer of Empire wrote that she "gives one of the most committed big-screen debuts imaginable" and critic Peter Travers added that she "is a spectacular young actress who imbues Patsey with grit and radiant grace". Nyong'o was nominated for several awards including a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress, a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role and two Screen Actors Guild Awards including Best Supporting Actress, which she won. She was also awarded the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, becoming the sixth black actress to win the award, the first African actress to win the award, the first Kenyan actress to win an Oscar, and the first Mexican citizen to win the award. She also became the fifteenth actress to win an Oscar for a debut performance in a feature film.
She played a brief role portraying a reserve flight attendant alongside Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore in the action thriller Non-Stop(2014).
As of June 2014, Nyong'o is attached to star in Star Wars Episode VII (2015). She will also produce and star in a film adaptation of the novel Americanah
In 2014, she was chosen as one of the faces for Miu Miu's spring campaign, with Elizabeth Olsen, Elle Fanning and Bella Heathcote. She has also appeared on the covers of several magazines, including New York's spring fashion issue and the UK magazine Dazed & Confused.Nyong'o is on the July cover of Vogue, making her the second African woman and ninth black woman to cover the magazine. She has also been a regular on Harper's Bazaar's Derek Blasberg's best dressed listing since the autumn of 2013
Nyong'o currently resides in Brooklyn. She is fluent in her native Luo, English, Swahili and Spanish. On February 27, 2014, at the Essence Black Women In Hollywood luncheon in Beverly Hills, she gave a speech on the beauty of black women and talked about the insecurities she had about herself as a teenager. She said her views about herself changed when she saw South Sudanese supermodel Alek Wek become successful.
In 2013, her father was elected to represent Kisumu County in the Kenyan Senate. Nyong'o's mother is currently the managing director of the Africa Cancer Foundation and her own communications company. Other family members include: Tavia Nyong'o, a scholar and professor at New York University; Dr. Omondi Nyong'o, a pediatric ophthalmologist in Palo Alto, CA; Kwame Nyong'o, one of Kenya's leading animators and leading technology expert; Isis Nyong'o, a media and technology leader who was named one of Africa's most powerful young women by Forbes magazine. Her uncle, Aggrey Nyong'o, a prominent Kenyan physician, was killed in a road accident in 2002
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- So Hilarious: Crazy S*x Video of a Young Couple Surfaces on Social (WATCH)
- Big and Fresh Boobs: Beautiful Ghanaian Girl Wrecks Internet with Private Photos
- Rashida Black Beauty Takes Home The Prize For Viral Video Of The Year – ALL The Winners From The Jigwe Awards 2016 HERE
- Furious A Plus Tears Into Kwahu NPP Victory Jam Ft Shatta Wale And Other Artists – People Voted For Jobs, Not Jams! (WATCH VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Hot Girl Shows Off Her S*xy Body by Twerking Seductively on Tape
- “Go and Buy From Mahama” – Read REPORT Of How An East Legon Filling Station Refused To Sell Fuel To Actor John Dumelo
- Meet the Beautiful Ghanaian Thief: How Martha Amakye-A Stanbic Bank Award Winning Female Employee Swindled Customers Out of Large Amounts of Cash
- BREAKING: Gambia’s President-elect Adama Barrow Has Been Killed
- Learn How To Seduce Your Man – With Bibi Bright And Akumaa Mama Zimbi (VIDEO)
- OMG! Hot Girls Attract Attention By Twerking Sexily While Washing Car (Video)
- WATCH: Christabel Ekeh Wows Fans As She Uploads Twerking VIDEO In Very SKIMPY Skirt
- Ghanaians Are Hypocrites For Hailing Rashida The Black Beauty – Afia Schwarzenegger Claims, Proving Her Massive Hypocrisy
- VIDEO: Rashida Black Beauty Gives All The Background To Her Doomed Relationship With Kushman In This Interview
- Help! Who Can Pull Off My Cloths and Bath Me - Cossy Orjiakor Says She's Dirty & Horny (Video)
- Married Afia Schwarzenegger Goes Topless. AGAIN!
- World's Most Identical Twins Sisters Who Share a Boyfriend Now Set To Marry Him (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Kenpong Survives Ghastly Accident Which Mangles His $50,000 BMW
- Rumoured Tyga And Kylie Jenner S*x Tape Hits The Internet (AGAIN)
- Prostitute Fights for Her Life After Glass Table She was Having S*x on Broke Leaving Her Badly Cut (PHOTOS)
- Here Are The 26 Owusu Bempah Prophecies That Have Got Ghanaians Fuming With Anger
- Married Woman In S*x Scandal
- Rex Omar Has Just Said Something About Akufo-Addo And It's Not Nice
- Curvy Video Vixen Goes 'N*ked' to Promote Herself on Social Media (Photos)
- NPP Drags Mahama To Court For Appointing CHRAJ And NCCE Bosses With Less Than Three Weeks Left In Office
- LOL! Couple Releases Crazily S*xy Pre-Wedding Pictures
- Supreme Court is Considering Suits Brought Before It to Re-arrest ‘Montie 3’
- WATCH VIDEO: Turkish Police Officer Assassinates Russian Ambassador
- AUDIO: How Martha Amakye Scammed Me Out of 10,000 GHS I Invested Into A Stanbic Bank’s Investment Package - A Victim Tells Her Heartbreaking Story
- 11 Quotes From President Nana Akufo-Addo’s Inaugural Speech That Will Make You Believe In Ghana Again
- VIDEO: Check Out Akrobeto And Funny Face Reading Out The News On UTV
- VIDEO: Check Out President Mahama’s Scintillating Dance Moves On Display At Ovation’s Carol Service In Nigeria
- Katelyn Nicole Davis suicide video is going viral - and cops are powerless to stop it
- BUSTED! Adulterous Kenyan Couple Gets Stuck During S*x (VIDEO)
- Online Trolls Once Dissed This Girl For Dating A ‘Black Beauty’ – But She Continues To Defy Them By Posting Loved Up Pics
- Diamond Appiah Piles More Misery On Mzbel – Mocks Her On Social Media For Crying
- ‘Your Wife Wants To F*ck M3nsa’ – Wanlov Lays Out D-Black’s Dirty Laundry In Diss Track ‘Ah Well’ – LISTEN HERE
- VIDEO: DKB Reacts to Fake “Plastic Cindy Rice” Video Online
- Gospel Musician, Bro. Sammy Threatened to Kill My Baby After Impregnating Me – UK-Based Ghanaian Singer Alleges
- 17 Lovely Photos Of President Mahama Taking Nana Addo On Flagstaff House Tour
- Lordina Mahama Fingered In Corrupt COCOBOD Scheme By Assin Central MP Kennedy Agyepong
- After Performance At NDC’s Pre-Election Rally – Shatta Wale Tapped To Perform At NPP Victory Carnival And He Explains Why HERE
- “This Story Should Never Have Been Published In Its Original Form” – CNN Finally Apologises For Ghana Election Coverage Fiasco