Her fight against British colonialists is a story is woven throughout the history of Ghana. A story from Ghana , A History for Primary Schools, E.A. Addy; In the evening the chiefs held a secret Yaa Asantewaameeting at Kumasi. Yaa Asantewaa the Queen Mother of Ejisu, was at the meeting. The chiefs were discussing how they should make war on the white men and force them to bring back the Asantehene. Yaa Asantewaa saw that some of the chiefs were afraid. Some said that there should be no war. They should rather go to beg the Governor to bring back the Asantehene King(Nana) Prempeh.
Then suddenly Yaa Asantewaa stood up and spoke. This was what she said: "Now I have seen that some of you fear to go forward to fight for our king. If it were in the brave days of, the days of Osei Tutu, Okomfo Anokye, and Opoku Ware, chiefs would not sit down to see thier king taken away without firing a shot. No white man could have dared to speak to chief of the Ashanti in the way the Governor spoke to you chiefs this morning. Is it true that the bravery of the Ashanti is no more? I cannot believe it. It cannot be! I must say this: if you the men of Ashanti will not go forward, then we will. We the women will. I shall call upon my fellow women.
We will fight the white men. We will fight till the last of us falls in the battlefields."
This speech stirred up the men who took an other to fight the white men until they released the Asantehene. For months the Ashantis led by Yaa Asantewaa fought very bravely and kept the white men in the fort. Yet British reinforcements totaling 1,400 soldiers arrived at Kumasi. Yaa Asantewa and other leaders were capturedand sent into exile. Yaa Asantewaa's war was the last of the major war in Africa led by a women.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- KABA´s days at Techiman Senior High School
- New Music: E.L - Nina (Prod. by E.L)
- I never attended secondary school – Obaapa Christy
- Mother's unique punishment to son goes viral
- KABA’s students recall fond memories of his days as a teacher
- Watch: Wizkid drops music video for ‘Manya’, gives props to VIP
- Students of Parkoso SHS study on bare floor
- Full story: How KABA died!
- Strategy: 5 books that can help you have a happier marriage
- Yvonne Nelson’s baby ‘daddy’ shares new photo
- Lilwin electrifies Kumkum Bhagya stage with crazy dance moves
- ISIS beheads fifteen of its own in Afghanistan infighting
- Insanity: “it is better for a girl to be broken in by her father rather than a stranger,” - father tells daughter after abuse
- Strategy: 9 words and phrases that make you look less smart, less competent, and less accomplished than you really are
- First two-drug HIV treatment regimen gets US FDA approval
- This is how Multimedia Group announced the death of KABA to Staff
- Beyonce in talks with Gareth Bale to sing at wedding
- Russell Simmons accused of assaulting model in New York
- New Juaben: Used-clothing sellers protest relocation exersise
- Riches to Rags: These African players went broke after retirement
- Mugabe’s successor back from exile
- Finance: Bitcoin just hit an all-time high — here's how you buy and sell it
- Ghana, Journalism have lost a great talent – Kufuor
- Charlie Rose committed array of s-xual offenses
- White House personnel investigated for behavior in Asia
- Cristiano Ronaldo given brand new luxury Audi sports car
- Ivanka Trump's Thanksgiving clam mocked in hilarious memes
- Take a look at these 10 Ghanaian footballers as they are in 'FIFA 18'
- Politics: 8 countries took part in Israel's largest-ever air drill — here are the impressive photos
- How social media reacted to the death of Asempa FM's KABA
- TROUBLE: Ghanaian Midfielder Amidu Salifu Arrested In Italy With Fake Document
- Samini doesn’t even have money for ‘koko’ – Shatta Wale
- KABA was frustrated, hated at multimedia over good relationship with NDC - DJ Oxy
- RIP: Check out throwback photo of KABA from his secondary school days
- Captain Planet performs ‘Obi Agyi Obi Girl’ at 4Syte TV Music Video Awards
- Ghana can have bullet trains by 2021 – Ghanaian inventor
- RIP: Akufo-Addo expresses shock over KABA's death
- Robert Mugabe resigns
- Black Stars Coach Kwasi Appiah to establish €14.5m solar factory
- Strategy: 9 ways millennials are approaching marriage differently from their parents
- Ibrahimovic, Pogba and Rojo in Man United travelling party
- 2018 will be a difficult year for Ghanaians – Badu Kobi