Identified as the King of GH-Rap and an African Hip-Hop Star, he goes by the birth name Desmond Kwesi Blackmore , better known in showbiz circles as D.Black, Ghana’s premiere Anglophone hip hop artist.
D-black is a music business entrepreneur, executive producer and multiple award- winning Anglophone hip hop artist from Ghana.
Outside of making music, he runs his own marketing / advertising / events firm “Black Avenue Works” that specialize in corporate & social events, product / brand marketing and advertising . There are subsidiary companies of Black Avenue Works that D-Black is director of namely “Black Avenue Muzik”, an independent Record Label and Distribution outlet and “Black Avenue TV”.
On the 24th of September 2010, D-Black da Ghana Bwouy released his debut solo album titled ‘Music, Love & Life’ off his Black Avenue Muzik label.
The Album’s first single „Somebody’ was officially released six months before the album’s release on the 2nd of April 2010 with its’ video premiered exclusively all around Africa in July on MTV Base and Channel O. The song “Somebody” made it into the Ghanaian top 10 Charts on 9 Radio stations around the country barely 3 weeks after its’ release.
Following the huge success of his first single, D-Black followed up in August with an even bigger record “Get on da dance floor” ft. Dr. Cryme. This club banger true to its title hit the dance floors heavy all around the country and Africa almost immediately. The award winning video for this banger of a tune was released in November with a follow up remix to the song released in February 2011 where D-Black featured Nigeria’s Ice Prince & Kel, South Africa’s HHP, Efya and Dr. Cryme from Ghana.
Keeping the appetite of D-Black’s fans still whet, he released the video for a grimey non-commercial hiphop track off his album “Believe” for the true hiphop fans.
The Official music video for the third single off D-Black’s “Music, Love and Life” album titled “Asabone” dropped on the 1st of May 2011. D-Black won numerous awards and received countless award nominations following the release his „Music, Love & Life’ debut solo album.
Before all of this ,D-Black da Ghana Bwouy between December 2008 and July 2009 dropped two major singles off his joint mixtape album „Target Practice’ with ex-big brother Africa housemate, Kwaku-T. The self executive produced album which was marketed by D-Black’s “Black Avenue Works” firm boasted the singles “Move” which was nominated in the Best West African Category at the 2009 Channel O Music Awards in South Africa and “Breathe” ft. Jayso. „Breathe’ received countless awards nominations and award wins continentally.
Rapping in only the English dialect fused with pidgin English , before his solo career, the D-Black and Kwaku-t duo were the first and only hip hop artists to be nominated for a Ghana Music Award in it’s eleven year history, rapping in English, with their music Video „Breathe’ directed by Gyo of Phamous Philms winning the Best Video of the Year Award 2010 and nominated for Best Hip hop song of the Year D-Black snagged a whooping 27 award nominations between 2009 and 2011.
The first at the 2009 Channel O Music Video Awards for Most Gifted West Music Video for „Move’, the first music video off the „Target Practice’ album. Following this nomination the D-Black & Kwaku-t duo were nominated at the Ghana Music Awards in 2010 for hiphop song of the year and Music Video of the year, winning the award for music video of the year for the video for „Breathe’. Soon afterwards the duo were again nominated at the 2010 Channel O Music Video Awards in South Africa, leading the Ghanaian nomination list and attaining the position of the second highest most nominated african at the awards ceremony with nominations for “Most Gifted Hip Hop Video” and “Most Gifted Video of the Year” again for “Breathe”.
At this point the duo begun recording solo albums with D-Black releasing his first single „Somebody’ ft. Kwabena Kwabena a month after the 2010 Ghana Music Awards. „Somebody’ was an instant hit in Ghana and soon after the self directed music video premiered on MTV Base introducing D-Black as a solo artist to the rest of Africa.
2010 was the beginning of a successful career for the young entrepreneur as D-Black snagged two nominations as a solo artist at the 2010 Sound City Music Video Awards in Lagos ,Nigeria for „Best Collaboration in a Music Video’ for his “Somebody” song/video and „Sound City Freshest Video’ for his “Believe” Music Video as well as winning at the 2010 African Music Awards , U.K for Best African Music Video for “Breathe”.
Also grabbing a whooping five nominations at the 4Syte Music Video Awards 2010 in Ghana and winning two of them in the categories of “Best Collaboration” and “Best Storyline” in a Music Video.
The man voted by MNet Africa as Africa’s 2nd Best Rapper for 2010 and 6th Most Stylish Male Celebrity for 2010 finally dropped his much awaited debut solo album on the 24th of September 2010 titled „Music, Love & Life”. An incredibly packed album launch party in Accra sealed his place as the King of Hip hop in Ghana that year.
“Music is the first love of my life and this album is music from the heart, mind and soul,” D-Black says. I believe in African unity and collaborations so this album has a lot of „collabo’s’ with artists from around the world. This is only the beginning for me, Ghana and Africa as a whole. This is my first album and i’m amazed at the response i have received so far. My first commercial release was barely 2 years ago and i give all thanks to God up above for bringing me this far said D-Black to the press after the release of his album.
D-Black featured on this album, Wyclef Jean, Buffalo Souljah (Zimbabwe), 2 Face Idibia (Nigeria), Dr.Cryme, Reggie Rockstone, Sante, X.O, Ayigbe Edem, Tinny, Sarkodie, Kwaku-t, Guru, Iwan, Efya, Samini and Kwabena Kwabena(Ghana) and worked with some of Ghana’s most talented producers including U.S.A based billboard chart topping producer Coptic and also Kwam1, Piesie , Killmatic , Sammi Blacc, M.A. , Bra Kevin, Female producer ; Chantelle Myers , Green Gafacci , E.L, Jounide and Waxi.
Music, Love & Love sold thousands of units across the Africa and is hands down the most successful anglophone hiphop album from Ghana continentally till date with the Music Videos for the first 3 singles “Somebody” ft. Kwabena Kwabena , “Get on da Dancefloor” ft. Dr. Cryme and “Asabone” making massive waves across Ghana and Africa.
Music, Love & Life received six nominations at the 2011 Ghana Music Awards with „Get on da dancefloor’ winning the prestigious Hiphop song of the Year award at the 2011 Ghana Music Awards and a few months after D-Black snagged a Best International Artist nomination at the 2011 BET Awards in Los Angeles, a win at the Ghana Gospel Industry Awards for Alternative Gospel Video of the year for „Somebody’ and a nod at the 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards in South Africa for Best West African Video for the smash hit „Get on da dancefloor’ .
Having been appointed United Nations (U.N) Celebrity Ambassador in Ghana in December 2009 for the cause of Environmental degradation, D-Black collaborates with 2 face Idibia (Nigeria), J-town and Kwaku-t on “STOP IT” ; a song delved around the realization of the United Nations Millennium Developmental Goals which incude HIV/AIDS awareness, Poverty and Domestic Violence/Women Empowerment.
D-Black saw this song as his message to society, Ghanaians ,Africans and the world as a whole. He says “Joint efforts like this make the world a better place to live in”. He was re-appointed in 2011 as United Nations Celebrity Ambassador to fight “Hunger in Africa”.
D-Black was featured on the 2010 BET (BLACK ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION) HIPHOP AWARDS CYPHER with 6 other Ghanaian rappers namely Reggie Rockstone, Sarkodie, Edem, Tinny, Kwaku-t & Baby G. This was the first time in the history of the BETHIPHOP AWARDS ,making them the first West African Artists to be featured on the BET CYPHER.
This historical feat was directed by BET’S Lilian Blankson and aired on the 16TH of October 2010 on the BET INTERNATIONAL NETWORK all over the world to audiences in the U.K, Ireland, Middle East,Australia and Africa. Other artists that have been featured on the BET CYPHER include Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Eminem, Fabolous, Ace Hood, Juelz Santana, Common, KRS 1, Ice Cube, Jadakiss, K’Naan and more.
The broadcast of this cypher opened doors for the young rapper and expanded his fan base internationally. D-Black has in his career graced / performed on stages with a number of international acts and in numerous cities.
He’s performed at the 2011 Ghana Music Awards, The 2010 Channel O Music Video Awards (South Africa) , The 2010 4syte Ghanaian Music Video Awards, The Busta Rhymes in Ghana Concert, The Rick Ross Blowing Money Fast Tour in Ghana, The Ghana Music Awards 2008, The Jay Z Live in Ghana Concert,The Fat Joe & Omarion Concert in Ghana, Miss Malaika 2011, Ghana Rocks Concert 2009, Ghana Rocks Concert 2010, Ghana Rocks Concert 2011 and performed in Johannesburg, Pretoria & Durban in South Africa, Lagos Nigeria, Los Angeles, Maryland, Washington D.C & New York in the United States and Ghana in Accra, Sunyani, Cape coast, Tamale, Bolgatanga, Takoradi, Tema, Kumasi, Ho and Kwahu.
He’s shared stages with the likes of Jay-z, Fat Joe, Rick Ross, Busta Rhymes , Omarion, Ja Rule ,Memphis Bleek, U.K Based Sway, Tinchy Stryder, Chipmunk and Donaeo, K’Naan from Somalia, Wyre from Kenya, Tear Gas, Kwela Thebza from South Africa, Dama Do Bling from Mozambique, P- Square, Banky W and 2 Face Idibia from Nigeria as well as Stevie Wonder and more.
In mid 2011 D-Black sealed a deal as Ghanaian Brand Ambassador for South African Based African Urban Clothing Label “AMA KIPKIP” with his firm Black Avenue Works as the official distribution outlet in Ghana.
That same year saw D-Black making strides internationally making history again as he emerged as the first Ghanaian Hiphop artist to be nominated at the prestigious BET AWARDS for BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT (AFRICA) 2011 with just one album to his credit and was up against artists from Nigeria,South Africa,Benin and Congo namely 2 Face Idibia, D’Banj, Tear Gas, Angelique Kidzo and Fally Ipupa.
Before heading out for the BET Awards ceremony following news of his nomination, D-Black embarked on his first ever nationwide hiphop tour dubbed the “The D-Black Yes Boss Tour”. D-Black toured the entire country with his crew selling out venues in 9 cities around Ghana including stadiums, Auditoriums and outdoor parks. Thousands of fans thronged to see D-Black anytime he hit their city on his Yes Boss Tour.
The D-Black Yes Boss Tour saw D-Black perform in Tamale, Sunyani, Tema, Bolgatanga, Kumasi, Kwahu, Accra, Cape Coast and Takoradi. He was supported by various Ghanaian artists spread accross the cities from Chase, Ruff n Smooth, J-Town,Sarkodie, Yaa Pono, Trigmatic, Stay Jay, Dee Money, Efya, Dr. Cryme, Bradez and more. This historical tour was organized by his marketing and events firm “Black Avenue Works” and was dubbed as the most successful hip hop nationwide tour ever. The „Yes Boss Tour 2′ is slated for August 2012.
The finale of D-Black’s tour labelled as his first ever concert, “THE YES BOSS CONCERT” was held in Accra on the 30th of December at The Accra International Conference Centre wrapping up 2011 in style with performances from D-Black da Ghana Bwouy and 22 other acts from Ghana and Nigeria including Darey, Duncan Mighty and Mo Cheddah from the sister country.
The extremely industrious C.E.O /artist and enteprenuer is also a graduate of the University of Ghana, Legon where he studied Theatre Arts/ Film Directing and Music.
Dubbed Ghana’s hardest working entertainer ; D-Black’s first single off his highly anticipated sophomore album titled „My Kinda Girl’ featuring fellow Ghanaian rapper Sarkodie, is making massive rounds on Ghanaian and African radio and television. My Kinda Girl debuted on the Afribiz Charts (The African Billboard Charts) Top 50 African songs at number 31 in January 2012 following the release of the hugely popular animated music video in November 2010.
Currently in the studio recording his upcoming album , D-Black is set to feature a few african and american artists namely Nigeria’s 2face Idibia, Ice Prince, Waje, Mo Cheddah, Sauce Kid, Congo’s Fally Ipupa, Kenya’s STL, South Africa’s Tear Gas and L- Tido as well as Sheek Louch, Corey Gunz and more from the United States of America on this album.
D-Black’s „The Revelation’ album is set to be released in August / September with the music video for its’ second single „Falling ft. Nigeria’s Mo Cheddah scheduled for a March 2012 release date.
D-Black Award Nominations (2009 – 2011)
* 2009 Channel O Music Video Awards for Best West African – Move
*2010 Ghana Music Awards for Hip-Hop / Hiplife Song of the Year – Breathe
*2010 Ghana Music Awards for Music
Video of the Year – Breathe (Winner) *2010 Museke African Music Awards for
Music Video of the Year – Breathe
*African Music Awards, London for Music Video of the Year – Breathe (Winner)
*2010 Channel O Music Video Awards,
South Africa for Best HipHop – Breathe
*2010 Channel O Music Video Awards, South Africa for Best Music Video – Breathe
*2010 Sound City Music Awards , Nigeria – Best Collaboration – D-Black ft. Kwabena Kwabena -Somebody
*2010 Sound City Music Awards, Nigeria – Best New Video – D-Black – Believe *2010 4SYTE Music Video Awards – Best Overall Video – Breathe
*2010 4SYTE Music Video Awards – Best Storyline in a Video – Breathe (Winner) *2010 4SYTE Music Video Awards – Best Directed Video – Breathe
*2010 4SYTE Music Video Awards – Best Collaboration in a Video – Breathe (Winner)
*2010 4SYTE Music Video Awards – Best Group Video – D-Black & Kwaku-t – Breathe **2011 Ghana Music Awards – Hip hop/ Hiplife Artist of the Year –D-Black
*2011 Ghana Music Awards –Hip hop Song of the Year – Get on da dancefloor (Winner) *2011 Ghana Music Awards – Songwriter of the Year – Somebody – D-Black
*2011 Ghana Music Awards – Collaboration of the Year – Somebody ft. Kwabena Kwabena *2011 Ghana Music Awards –Album of the Year – Music, Love & Life by D-Black
*2011 BET Awards – Best International Artist of the Year (Africa) –D-Black
*2011 Ghana Gospel Industry Awards – Alternate Gospel Song of the year – Somebody
*2011 Ghana Gospel Industry Awards – Alternate Gospel Video of the year – Somebody (Winner)
*2011 4Syte Music Video Awards – Best Photography in a video -Somebody *2011 4Syte Music Video Awards – Best Hiphop Video – Get on da dancefloor *2011 4Syte Music Video Awards – Best Collaboration in a video – Somebody *2011 4syte Music Video Awards – Best African Act – Get on da dancefloor *2011 4syte Music Video Awards – Best Edited Video – Get on da dancefloor
D-BLACK – ‘MUSIC , LOVE & LIFE’ ALBUM TRACKLISTING
1. Get on da Dancefloor ft. Dr. Cryme (Prod : Dr. El) 2. Intoxicated ft. X.O Senavoe (Prod: Coptic)
3. Still – w/ Sante (Prod: Stevie Hwoang)
4. Chaskele (Prod: Gafacci)
5.Yes Boss ft. Bra Kevin Beatz (Prod: Bra Kevin Beatz) 6. One More Drink (Prod: Gafacci)
7. Somebody ft. Kwabena Kwabena (Prod: Jounide)
8. Knock u awt ft. Ayigbe Edem & Guru (Prod : Gafacci)
9. Plastic Smile ft. Iwan (Prod: Jounide)
10. One Boss (Prod: Gafacci)
11.Galanja ft. Sammie Blacc (Prod: Sammie Blacc)
12. Pompidoe (Prod: Gafacci)
13. True Love ft. Efya (Prod: Kwam 1)
14. Stick Up ft. Sarkodie (Prod: Gafacci)
15. Hustla Muzik ft. Samini (Prod: Kilmatic)
16. Wondeful World ft. Wyclef Jean & Kwaku-t (Prod : M.A)
17. Firewoman ft. Buffalo Souljah(Zimbabwe) (Prod: Killmatic)
18. Stop it ft. 2 Face( Nigeria), J-Town, Kwaku-t (Prod: D.ee) 19. Asabone ft. Reggie Rockstone (Prod: Piesie)
20. Believe (Prod : Chantelle Myerz)
- So Hilarious: Crazy S*x Video of a Young Couple Surfaces on Social (WATCH)
- Big and Fresh Boobs: Beautiful Ghanaian Girl Wrecks Internet with Private Photos
- VIDEO: Hot Girl Shows Off Her S*xy Body by Twerking Seductively on Tape
- BREAKING: Gambia’s President-elect Adama Barrow Has Been Killed
- Meet the Beautiful Ghanaian Thief: How Martha Amakye-A Stanbic Bank Award Winning Female Employee Swindled Customers Out of Large Amounts of Cash
- Learn How To Seduce Your Man – With Bibi Bright And Akumaa Mama Zimbi (VIDEO)
- WATCH: Christabel Ekeh Wows Fans As She Uploads Twerking VIDEO In Very SKIMPY Skirt
- OMG! Hot Girls Attract Attention By Twerking Sexily While Washing Car (Video)
- Ghanaians Are Hypocrites For Hailing Rashida The Black Beauty – Afia Schwarzenegger Claims, Proving Her Massive Hypocrisy
- Guy Leaks N*de Pics of Lady Caught Dating Friend's Father
- Help! Who Can Pull Off My Cloths and Bath Me - Cossy Orjiakor Says She's Dirty & Horny (Video)
- Married Afia Schwarzenegger Goes Topless. AGAIN!
- Prostitute Fights for Her Life After Glass Table She was Having S*x on Broke Leaving Her Badly Cut (PHOTOS)
- BUSTED! Adulterous Kenyan Couple Gets Stuck During S*x (VIDEO)
- World's Most Identical Twins Sisters Who Share a Boyfriend Now Set To Marry Him (Photos)
- Fetty Wap Sex Tape With Ex-Girlfriend Gets Leaked (Video 18+)
- PHOTOS: Kenpong Survives Ghastly Accident Which Mangles His $50,000 BMW
- Curvy Video Vixen Goes 'N*ked' to Promote Herself on Social Media (Photos)
- Here Are The 26 Owusu Bempah Prophecies That Have Got Ghanaians Fuming With Anger
- 24 Amazing Photos Of Asantehemaa’s Funeral That Show The Rich Ashanti Culture
- Supreme Court is Considering Suits Brought Before It to Re-arrest ‘Montie 3’
- ‘I’m Here To F*ck Sh*t Up, Not To Be A Role Model’ – Princess Shyngle Speaks Her Mind And Here Are 5 Photos To Prove Her Point
- REPORT: Son of Nigerian Government Official, 26, Raped And Killed a High Class Escort Just Weeks After Arriving in Scotland for University
- Rex Omar Has Just Said Something About Akufo-Addo And It's Not Nice
- Lord Paper At It Again! – See N*de PHOTO of Himself and a Girl Lying in Bed
- WTF? Imagine What this Hot Lady Was Caught Doing Discreetly in Her Bedroom (VIDEO)
- 6 Most Evil People To Ever Live On Earth
- SHOCKING! Married Man Disgraced and Beaten Up After He was Caught Red-handed Sleeping with Another Man's Wife (Video)
- AFCON 2017: Bootilicious Socialite Flaunts Massive Backside in Support of Ivory Coast (PHOTOS)
- VIDEO: Check Out Akrobeto And Funny Face Reading Out The News On UTV
- Gospel Musician, Bro. Sammy Threatened to Kill My Baby After Impregnating Me – UK-Based Ghanaian Singer Alleges
- AUDIO: How Martha Amakye Scammed Me Out of 10,000 GHS I Invested Into A Stanbic Bank’s Investment Package - A Victim Tells Her Heartbreaking Story
- “I’ve Never Had S*x With Kofi Adjorlolo” – Victoria Lebene Mekpah
- Katelyn Nicole Davis suicide video is going viral - and cops are powerless to stop it
- Trump Bans T.B Joshua From America Over False Prophecy
- MEET The Ghanaian Lady With the Widest Hip This 2017
- Online Trolls Once Dissed This Girl For Dating A ‘Black Beauty’ – But She Continues To Defy Them By Posting Loved Up Pics
- VIDEO: DKB Reacts to Fake “Plastic Cindy Rice” Video Online
- Daasebre’s Family Claimed I Killed Him for Rituals - Kennedy Agyepong
- Woman Takes Big Snake To Church To Challenge Pastor
- Afia Schwarzenegger Just Got A New, Impressive Title – And You Better You Use It When Addressing Her
- OMG! Efya Kisses Kojo Antwi On Stage+ MORE