Marco Antonio Muñiz (born September 16, 1968 or September 16, 1969), better known by his stage name Marc Anthony, is an American actor, singer, record producer, and television producer. Anthony is also the top selling tropical salsa artist of all time. The two-time Grammy and five-time Latin Grammy winner has sold more than 12 million albums worldwide. He is best known for his Latin salsa numbers and ballads. Anthony has won numerous awards and his achievements have been honored through various recognitions. He was the recipient of the 2009 Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) Chair's Award. He also received the "2009 CHCI Chair's Lifetime Achievement Award" on September 16, 2009.
Marco Antonio Muñiz, known professionally by his stage name Marc Anthony, was born in New York City to parents from Guayama, Puerto Rico. His mother Guillermina was a housewife, his father, Felipe Muñiz, a musician and hospital lunchroom worker. Anthony's parents named him after Mexican singer Marco Antonio Muñiz. Anthony grew up in East Harlem, also known as Spanish Harlem and El Barrio, and is the youngest of eight surviving children. He was raised Roman Catholic.
Muñiz began his career as a session vocalist for freestyle and Underground New York house music acts. After changing his name to avoid confusion with his namesake, Anthony worked as a songwriter and backing vocalist for pop acts including Menudo and the Latin Rascals. His first album was a freestyle music record, "Rebel," which debuted in 1988 on Bluedog Records. That same year he wrote and produced "Boy I've Been Told" for fellow freestyle artist Sa-Fire.
Then in 1989, he sang backup vocals for Ann-Marie on the freestyle club hit, "With or Without You" produced by Little Louie Vega and Todd Terry. A year later in 1990, with Little Louie Vega and Todd Terry, Marc wrote a duet with Chrissy I-eece, called "You Should Know By Now."
In 1992, still working with Todd Terry, he provided vocals for "Love Change," which is on the flip-side of a 12" vinyl released by Elan and The Powermachine titled "Here's Your Hat," production of Todd Terry. At the same time, he collaborated with music producer Little Louie Vega, who featured the singer on many freestyle-flavored club hits "Ride On The Rhythm" and the "When The Night Is Over" album, which featured the Freestyle classic "Time." In 1992, Vega and Anthony opened for Latin bandleader Tito Puente at New York's Madison Square Garden. After 1992, he changed his style from freestyle to salsa and other Latin styles.
Anthony was initially reluctant to become a salsa musician and declined an offer to make a salsa album when Ralph Mercado, president of RMM Records, asked him. Anthony was in a taxi when he heard Juan Gabriel's hit song, "Hasta Que Te Conocí," which influenced him to change his mind and ask Mercado if he could record it as a salsa tune. Inspired by the music of Tito Puente, Hector Lavoe, Rubén Blades, and Juan Gabriel, Anthony released his Spanish-language debut, Otra Nota, in 1993.
Anthony performed at the Radio y Musica Convention hosted by Alfredo Alonso. The album also included a cover of Bread's song, "Make It with You." Subsequent tours throughout the Americas, including an opening slot for Blades, established Anthony as one of the new stars in salsa. In 1994, he was featured in La India's album Dicen Que Soy, on the song "Vivir Lo Nuestro".
His 1995 follow-up, Todo a su tiempo, won Anthony a Billboard award for Hot Tropical Artist of the Year. The album was also nominated for a Grammy with songs like "Te Conozco Bien," "Hasta Ayer," "Nadie Como Ella," "Se Me Sigue Olvidando," "Te Amare," and "Llegaste A Mi." The album has sold more than 800,000 copies and has become established as a gold record in the United States and in Puerto Rico.
Anthony's next Spanish language album, Contra La Coriente, was followed by the television special Marc Anthony: The Concert from Madison Square Garden. It was broadcast on HBO on Valentine's Day in 2000. The special was nominated for the Music Special of the Year by TV Guide. The album's song "Y Hubo Alguien" became Anthony's first number-one single on the Billboard Hot Latin Tracks and the first by a salsa musician. The album became the first salsa album to enter the English language Billboard 200 chart. After an ongoing battle with RMM, he severed ties with Ralph Mercado and left the label in 1999.
Anthony played supporting roles in projects including 1995's Hackers, and 1996's Big Night and The Substitute. He appeared with Rubén Blades and Puerto Rican pop singer Ednita Nazario in Paul Simon's 1998 stage musical, The Capeman, which ran for 68 performances. He had a role in Martin Scorsese's 1999 drama Bringing Out the Dead, and in 2001, opposite Salma Hayek, was in the film In the Time of the Butterflies. In Man On Fire (2004), Anthony, opposite Denzel Washington, played a wealthy businessman who hires a former U.S. Marine to protect his daughter from kidnappers in Mexico City. In 2007, Anthony starred in El Cantante, a biographical drama about the life of salsa music legend Héctor Lavoe, who died in 1993 from AIDS complications.
Anthony's then-wife, Jennifer Lopez, narrated the story and portrayed Lavoe's wife. The film, released in August 2007, received strong reviews. In 2010, Anthony guest-starred in two episodes of the TNT medical drama "HawthoRNe" as a detective and the title character's (Jada Pinkett Smith) love interest. He was later named the executive music producer of the show. Anthony worked with ex-wife Lopez and director-choeographer Jamie King in late 2011 on a Latin talent series created by Simon Fuller, called Q'Viva! The Chosen. It follows Lopez and Anthony as they travel across 21 countries to find new talent. In 2012, Anthony guest mentored on Season 2 of The X Factor (U.S. TV series).
Anthony is a supporter of the Democratic Party, and performed "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.
Anthony sang "God Bless America" at the 2013 Major League Baseball All-Star Game at Citi Field. While Anthony is an American citizen, born and raised in New York City of Puerto Rican descent, various posts on Twitter were made suggesting he should not have been performing the song, under the mistaken belief that he is foreign-born. The Anti-Defamation League spoke out against the offensive tweets.
Relationships and family
Anthony was married or in a relationship with Debbie Rosado when the couple had daughter Ariana in 1994.
Marc married former Miss Universe Dayanara Torres on May 9, 2000 in Las Vegas. They have two sons, Cristian Anthony Muñiz (b. February 5, 2001) who Anthony named after the Mexican singer Cristian Castro,[and Ryan Anthony Muñiz (b. August 16, 2003). There were many problems in the marriage, and the couple separated in early 2002. They later reconciled and renewed their vows in a formal ceremony on December 7, 2002 at San Juan's Cathedral in Puerto Rico. The rocky marriage came to an end in October 2003 with Dayanara filing for divorce in January 2004. To help her recovery from the divorce, Dayanara traded her engagement ring for a diamond-encrusted Cartier watch and wrote the book Married to Me: How Committing to Myself Led to Triumph After Divorce.
Anthony married Jennifer Lopez in June 2004. Lopez gave birth to their children, twins Emme Maribel Muñiz and Maximillian David Muñiz on February 22, 2008. People (magazine) paid $6 million for the first photos of the twins. In 2009, Anthony and Lopez purchased a stake in the Miami Dolphins. They joined several personalities in buying small stakes in the club, including Gloria and Emilio Estefan, Venus and Serena Williams, and Fergie. They bought two houses in Brookville, New York but Anthony and Lopez announced their separation in July 2011, with Anthony filing for divorce on April 9, 2012. Their divorce was finalized on June 18, 2014, while Lopez retained primary physical custody of the two children.
Marc Anthony and model Shannon de Lima married on November 11, 2014 in the Dominican Republic.
- So Hilarious: Crazy S*x Video of a Young Couple Surfaces on Social (WATCH)
- Big and Fresh Boobs: Beautiful Ghanaian Girl Wrecks Internet with Private Photos
- VIDEO: Hot Girl Shows Off Her S*xy Body by Twerking Seductively on Tape
- BREAKING: Gambia’s President-elect Adama Barrow Has Been Killed
- Meet the Beautiful Ghanaian Thief: How Martha Amakye-A Stanbic Bank Award Winning Female Employee Swindled Customers Out of Large Amounts of Cash
- Learn How To Seduce Your Man – With Bibi Bright And Akumaa Mama Zimbi (VIDEO)
- WATCH: Christabel Ekeh Wows Fans As She Uploads Twerking VIDEO In Very SKIMPY Skirt
- OMG! Hot Girls Attract Attention By Twerking Sexily While Washing Car (Video)
- Ghanaians Are Hypocrites For Hailing Rashida The Black Beauty – Afia Schwarzenegger Claims, Proving Her Massive Hypocrisy
- Help! Who Can Pull Off My Cloths and Bath Me - Cossy Orjiakor Says She's Dirty & Horny (Video)
- Married Afia Schwarzenegger Goes Topless. AGAIN!
- Guy Leaks N*de Pics of Lady Caught Dating Friend's Father
- Prostitute Fights for Her Life After Glass Table She was Having S*x on Broke Leaving Her Badly Cut (PHOTOS)
- World's Most Identical Twins Sisters Who Share a Boyfriend Now Set To Marry Him (Photos)
- BUSTED! Adulterous Kenyan Couple Gets Stuck During S*x (VIDEO)
- PHOTOS: Kenpong Survives Ghastly Accident Which Mangles His $50,000 BMW
- Here Are The 26 Owusu Bempah Prophecies That Have Got Ghanaians Fuming With Anger
- Curvy Video Vixen Goes 'N*ked' to Promote Herself on Social Media (Photos)
- Fetty Wap Sex Tape With Ex-Girlfriend Gets Leaked (Video 18+)
- Supreme Court is Considering Suits Brought Before It to Re-arrest ‘Montie 3’
- 24 Amazing Photos Of Asantehemaa’s Funeral That Show The Rich Ashanti Culture
- Rex Omar Has Just Said Something About Akufo-Addo And It's Not Nice
- ‘I’m Here To F*ck Sh*t Up, Not To Be A Role Model’ – Princess Shyngle Speaks Her Mind And Here Are 5 Photos To Prove Her Point
- Lord Paper At It Again! – See N*de PHOTO of Himself and a Girl Lying in Bed
- AFCON 2017: Bootilicious Socialite Flaunts Massive Backside in Support of Ivory Coast (PHOTOS)
- 6 Most Evil People To Ever Live On Earth
- VIDEO: Check Out Akrobeto And Funny Face Reading Out The News On UTV
- Gospel Musician, Bro. Sammy Threatened to Kill My Baby After Impregnating Me – UK-Based Ghanaian Singer Alleges
- AUDIO: How Martha Amakye Scammed Me Out of 10,000 GHS I Invested Into A Stanbic Bank’s Investment Package - A Victim Tells Her Heartbreaking Story
- REPORT: Son of Nigerian Government Official, 26, Raped And Killed a High Class Escort Just Weeks After Arriving in Scotland for University
- Katelyn Nicole Davis suicide video is going viral - and cops are powerless to stop it
- SHOCKING! Married Man Disgraced and Beaten Up After He was Caught Red-handed Sleeping with Another Man's Wife (Video)
- “I’ve Never Had S*x With Kofi Adjorlolo” – Victoria Lebene Mekpah
- WTF? Imagine What this Hot Lady Was Caught Doing Discreetly in Her Bedroom (VIDEO)
- Online Trolls Once Dissed This Girl For Dating A ‘Black Beauty’ – But She Continues To Defy Them By Posting Loved Up Pics
- VIDEO: DKB Reacts to Fake “Plastic Cindy Rice” Video Online
- Daasebre’s Family Claimed I Killed Him for Rituals - Kennedy Agyepong
- Trump Bans T.B Joshua From America Over False Prophecy
- MEET The Ghanaian Lady With the Widest Hip This 2017
- Woman Takes Big Snake To Church To Challenge Pastor
- OMG! Efya Kisses Kojo Antwi On Stage+ MORE
- Check out PHOTOS FROM London’s ‘No Trousers on the Tube Day’ Celebration