Anti-discrimination group Kick It Out has contacted Manchester United to ask them to stop the club's fans singing a "racist" chant about Romelu Lukaku.
It says the lyrics, about the size of the Belgium striker's penis, are "offensive and discriminatory".
"Racist stereotypes are never acceptable, irrespective of any intention to show support for a player," said Kick It Out.
Manchester United say they will liaise with Kick it Out on the matter.
The Old Trafford club are also waiting to learn whether the chant is regarded as racist for criminal purposes and is therefore actionable.
A United blog has already asked the club's fans to refrain from the song.
"It's a cheap and insulting stereotype that has no place in this day and age," United fan Scott Patterson wrote in a post on The Republik of Mancunia.
Lukaku joined United for an initial £75m from Everton during the summer in a deal that could rise to £90m.
Kick It Out said it was "aware of footage of alleged racist chanting by supporters of Manchester United that emerged on Wednesday 13 September", Lukaku having scored in the game against Basel in the Champions League the previous evening.
"We have contacted Manchester United regarding the issue and will be working closely with them and the Football Association to ensure that it is addressed swiftly," said a Kick It Out spokesperson.
"If we receive any reports relating to the discriminatory chant, those will be passed on to the governing body and the perpetrators can expect to face punishment."
'It is a chant that is racist'
Clifford Stott, a professor of social psychology at Keele University, is an expert on crowd behaviour.
"Football fans have always chanted in a way that is sometimes on the edge," he told BBC Radio 5 live. "This is another example of it. I suspect that it will rapidly die away.
"I think a lot of fans who sang it had no racist intent and don't see it as racist - they see it as funny.
"It is a chant that is racist and Manchester United fans need to face up to that fact.
"It does perpetuate a racist stereotype and I don't think it's a chant that is going to survive for any great length of time because people are realising that fact."
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- KABA´s days at Techiman Senior High School
- New Music: E.L - Nina (Prod. by E.L)
- Otiko Djaba’s cleavage causes stir in Parliament
- Quiz that’ll help you win every row with your other half
- I never attended secondary school – Obaapa Christy
- DVD market is dead, you’re lucky if you sell 1000 - Shirley Frimpong-Manso
- Catholic priest mediates Mugabe's 'honourable exit'
- Jay Z, Kim Kardashian attend Serena Williams' wedding
- Mother's unique punishment to son goes viral
- KABA’s students recall fond memories of his days as a teacher
- Watch: Wizkid drops music video for ‘Manya’, gives props to VIP
- Green tea supplements warning after teen's organ damage
- Students of Parkoso SHS study on bare floor
- Kwabena Kwabena not my lover – Frema
- Full story: How KABA died!
- Strategy: 5 books that can help you have a happier marriage
- Cristiano Ronaldo wants 7 Ballon d'Ors and 7 children
- I am not a Hearts of Oak supporter- Otumfuo
- Yvonne Nelson’s baby ‘daddy’ shares new photo
- Lilwin electrifies Kumkum Bhagya stage with crazy dance moves
- Comic Relief For The Complex Shatta Wale-Wizkid Math Question And Solution
- ISIS beheads fifteen of its own in Afghanistan infighting
- Insanity: “it is better for a girl to be broken in by her father rather than a stranger,” - father tells daughter after abuse
- Stuttgart 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Aubameyang banned by club
- Mugabe 'falls ASLEEP' in public appearance
- Strategy: 9 words and phrases that make you look less smart, less competent, and less accomplished than you really are
- First two-drug HIV treatment regimen gets US FDA approval
- This is how Multimedia Group announced the death of KABA to Staff
- Beyonce in talks with Gareth Bale to sing at wedding
- Russell Simmons accused of assaulting model in New York
- New Juaben: Used-clothing sellers protest relocation exersise
- Riches to Rags: These African players went broke after retirement
- Mugabe’s successor back from exile
- Al Franken pitched SNL skit about raping Leslie Stahl
- Serena Williams reveals dress after post-wedding party
- Married Ohio rep steps down due to 'inappropriate behavior'
- Finance: Bitcoin just hit an all-time high — here's how you buy and sell it
- Ghana, Journalism have lost a great talent – Kufuor
- Charlie Rose committed array of sexual offenses
- White House personnel investigated for behavior in Asia
- Cristiano Ronaldo given brand new luxury Audi sports car
- Drunk driver severs Sacramento father's legs