Home | News | World News | Rossendale man who used Thomson Holidays 'was hospitalised with salmonella'

Rossendale man who used Thomson Holidays 'was hospitalised with salmonella'

  • Ian Counsell, 51, claims he fell ill while staying at a resort in Montego Bay
  • He was placed on an IV drip in hospital but was discharged the same day
  • He claims he collapsed in his room after returning to Hotel Riu Palace
  • The holidaymaker then spent two nights in hospital and underwent tests 
  • Thomson said it closely audits its resorts to make sure standards are met

By Chris Kitching for MailOnline

Published: 08:32 EST, 13 October 2015 | Updated: 08:38 EST, 13 October 2015

View
comments

A British tourist who claims he fell seriously ill and collapsed in his hotel room from food poisoning while celebrating his 30th wedding anniversary is taking legal action against Thomson Holidays.

Ian Counsell, from Rossendale, Lancashire, said he was hospitalised for two nights and diagnosed with salmonella food poisoning during his stay at Hotel Riu Palace, in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

The 51-year-old also claims that he's still suffering from symptoms six months later.  

Ian Counsell, 51, said he spent two nights in hospital after he contracted salmonella poisoning on holiday

Ian Counsell, 51, said he spent two nights in hospital after he contracted salmonella poisoning on holiday

Mr Counsell and his wife were staying at Hotel Riu Palace, in Montego Bay, Jamaica, when he fell ill
He was initially placed on an IV drip in hospital and discharged later that day

Mr Counsell and his wife were staying at Hotel Riu Palace, in Montego Bay, Jamaica, when he fell ill

Hotel Riu Palace, set on the Caribbean island's northwest shore, bills itself as a five-star resort

Hotel Riu Palace, set on the Caribbean island's northwest shore, bills itself as a five-star resort

Mr Counsell claims he suffered severe stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting just days into their two-week break on the Caribbean island last March. 

Medical staff at the resort referred him to a hospital, where he was placed on an intravenous drip and discharged later in the day.

But his symptoms continued and later that evening he collapsed at the hotel and was taken back to hospital, where he stayed for two nights and underwent tests which confirmed he had contracted salmonella, according to the man’s lawyers.

He said he was forced to take three weeks off work when he returned to the UK, and continues to suffer symptoms almost six months after the holiday.

Ian Counsell and his wife booked the two-week break to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary

Ian Counsell and his wife booked the two-week break to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary

Mr Counsell said in a statement: ‘We booked this holiday as a celebration of 30 years of marriage and we were really looking forward to two weeks of luxury, and were expecting it to be a holiday of a lifetime.

‘We’ve instead been left hugely disappointed with our experience.

‘I suffered a tremendous amount of pain and severe symptoms on holiday and my wife was extremely worried about me, particularly when I collapsed after coming back from the hospital.’

Ian Counsell said that the illness changed his life
Mr Counsell was prescribed medication after visiting doctors

Mr Counsell said that the illness has changed his life and that he's been forced to change jobs 

Mr Counsell, who booked the trip with Thomson Holidays, said his holiday was ‘completely ruined’ by his illness and he was shocked when he learned he had contracted salmonella.

He added: ‘The illness has changed my life and I’m still suffering to this day. I’ve also had to change jobs because of the impact that the continuing symptoms have had upon me, which just shows how serious the after effects of this illness can be.’

A spokesman for Thomson Holidays said: 'Thomson is sorry to hear about Mr Counsell’s experience at the Riu Palace Jamaica in March 2015.

'As this case is now subject to legal proceedings it would be inappropriate for us to comment further.

'Thomson closely audits all resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards.'

MailOnline Travel has contacted Riu Hotels & Resorts for comment.

The 51-year-old holidaymaker claims he collapsed in his hotel room after his initial hospital visit

The 51-year-old holidaymaker claims he collapsed in his hotel room after his initial hospital visit

Mr Counsell also complained about building works that were taking place outside his hotel room

Mr Counsell also complained about building works that were taking place outside his hotel room

Thomson Holidays says it closely audits all resorts to make sure industry standards are met

Thomson Holidays says it closely audits all resorts to make sure industry standards are met

Jennifer Mullins, a lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, the firm hired by the Counsells, said: ‘It’s extremely concerning to hear that Ian contracted Salmonella.

‘What was supposed to be a relaxing and enjoyable celebration has understandably left them upset and angry as to how this could have happened.

‘The seriousness of this illness cannot be underestimated and it is worrying that Ian suffered to such an extent that he collapsed in his hotel room whilst on holiday.

‘We know from experience how serious salmonella can be for those affected and sadly Ian continues to suffer from the symptoms six months down the line.’

MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS

MOST READ TRAVEL

Most Watched Videos

Most Read News

Best Of The Web

 Join The Ghana Social Network

More from World News

ENTERTAINMENT

Recent Comments

Most Popular Posts

USA News

UK News

News - Articles
Ghana Articles News
Go Up!