1. 1/2 cup unsalted butter
2. 3/4 cup Sugar or turbinado sugar
3. 1/2 cup unbleached flour
4. 1 1/4 cups semolina
5. 1 1/2 cups coconut, grated
6. 3/4 cup milk or almond milk
7. 1 teaspoon baking powder
8. 1 teaspoon almond extract
9. handful whole almonds, to decorate
1. Prepare the simple syrup first by placing the Sugar, water, and lemon juice into a pan, stirring to mix and bring to boil. Simmer for about 6-8 minutes until the syrup has thickened just a little. Stir in rosewater if using. Allow syrup to cool then chill.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan melt the butter. Add the Sugar, flour, semolina, coconut, milk, baking powder and almond extract, mix thoroughly. Do not allow to burn.
3. Pour the mixture into a buttered 8" square baking pan, flatten the top and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden.
4. Remove halva from oven and cut diagonally so that you have diamond shaped portions. Prick the cake all over using a toothpick.
Pour the chilled simple syrup evenly over the top and decorate with a whole almond on each diamond shaped piece. Serve hot or at room temperature.