Posted by Burkina Fasso on
SHOKO (BEEF AND SPINACH STEW 6 small canned tomatoes, with juice 1 whole fresh hot chile 4 medium onions, whole 1/4 cup green bell pepper 6 tbsp veg...
SHOKO (BEEF AND SPINACH STEW
6 small canned tomatoes, with juice 1 whole fresh hot chile 4 medium
onions, whole 1/4 cup green bell pepper 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 lb
stewing beef, cut in cubes 1 cup water [or beef broth] 1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt 2 tsp cayenne [more or less to taste] 1 1/2 tsp minced
fresh ginger 3/4 to 1 lb fresh spinach
1. Reserve 1/2 cup of juice from the canned tomatoes, and discard the
rest of the juice. Combine the chile, tomatoes, onions, and green bell
pepper in a food processor, and process until the vegetables are
minced but not pureed.
2. Heat the oil in a large, cast-iron pot, and saute the vegetables and
beef for 5 minutes over high heat.
3. Add the reserved tomato juice, water sugar, salt, cayenne, and
ginger. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 2 hours. Stir
occasionally to keep from burning.
4. Meanwhile, soak the spinach in warm water for 15 minutes. Then
rinse thoroughly, separate, rinse again (and even a third time if you
want to be extra careful), shred coarsely, and set aside.
5. After 2 hours, add the spinach to the pot and cook over medium
heat for 30 minutes, until the water is gone and the spinach is cooked.
6. About half an hour before serving, prepare boiled rice. Serve Shokowith rice. [Also good served with Yam Foofoo.]