How many languages are spoken in Ghana at present?
More than 250 languages and dialects are spoken in Ghana. English is the country's official language and predominates government and business affairs. It is also the standard language used for educational instruction. Native Ghanaian languages are divided into two linguistic subfamilies of the Niger-Congo language family. Languages belonging to the Kwa subfamily are found predominantly to the south of the Volta River, while those belonging to the Gur subfamily are found predominantly to the north. The Kwa group, which is spoken by about 75% of the country's population, includes the Akan, Ga-Dangme, and Ewe languages. The Gur group includes the Gurma, Grusi, and Dagbani languages.
Nine languages have the status of government-sponsored languages: Akan, Dagaare/Wale, Dagbani, Dangme, Ewe, Ga, Gonja, Kasem, and Nzema. Though not an official language, Hausa is the lingua-franca spoken among Ghana's Muslims, who comprise about 14% of the population
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- The NBA Will Now Sponsor A Junior Basketball League In Nairobi
- 3 Times Boko Haram Has Been Mentioned In Hollywood Movies
- Osofo Kyiriabosom agrees to destroy Nana Agradaa’s shrine
- What Is This Lady Wearing?
- Recipe: Gari Soakings Deluxe
- Uber Kenya Increases Fare Prices After Driver Protests
- Ghana produces first batch of Plastic Surgery, Burns nurses
- Kellyanne Conway seen clad in a velvet cloak in her home
- Chelsea take on Tottenham in FA Cup semi-finals
- Recipe: Rice And Cabbage Stew
- Sale of MTN shares to Ghanaians takes off in 2017
- Millions brace for up to TWO FEET of snow in Northeast
- 11 Quotes From Asiedu Nketia That Will Crack You Up
- I’m Lucky To Be Nominated Deputy Reg Minister – Elizabeth Agyemang
- Did Man Utd man Ander Herrera deserve red card at Chelsea?
- Two airlines cancel daily flights to Cuba
- 10 Interesting Facts About Legendary Footballer Joe Kadenge
- 11 Things That Happen When You Are Addicted To A TV Series
- Apostle Suleman VS Stephanie: Why The Truth Matters
- Amanda Seyfried threatens legal action over leaked photos
- What Do You Think Of Male Doctor Doing Ladies Check Up?
- Articulated truck crashes 12 vehicles at Accra New Town
- St Louis releases unedited footage of Michael Brown
- Lagos IGR Now Higher Than 33 States Put Together
- LOL! Who Or What Are They Selling?
- Jonathan Mensah returns from ban as Columbus Crew host Portland Timbers
- Mahama was misled – Kwabena Adjei
- I don’t listen to Otabil, Owusu Bempeh & Prof. Martey’s Preaching - Yamin
- Abedi Pele attends PFAG dinner meetiing to discuss football matters
- US sends attack drones to South Korea
- Jack Russell goes 'crazy' during agility round at Crufts
- IFS cautions government over sustainability of free SHS policy
- Funeral held for EMT Yadira Arroyo killed by ambulance
- Brutalised Lagos Woman: Army Detains Six Soldiers
- Federal judge in Hawaii blocks Trump's revised travel ban
- GOC Elections: Only 25 Media House Accredited
- Ghana Amateur Boxing Federation President Quartey Passes On
- Ivanka Trump AND Jared Kushner enjoy early morning date
- Forestry Commission losing fight against deforestation
- A-10 fighter jet obliterates a Humvee with laser bombs
- Jury in Aaron Hernandez trial is shown 104-year-old gun
- Only selfish lawyers encourage litigation to extort clients – Appeal Court Judge