Tsatsu Tsikata (born 1 October 1950) is a Ghanaian academic and lawyer. He is also a former Chief Executive of the Ghana
Early Life and Education
Tsikata was born at Keta in the south of the Volta Region of Ghana. He was however brought up at Adabraka, a suburb of Accra, the capital of Ghana. He started school at an early age because he wanted to follow his older brother Fui to school. He first attended Additrom Preparatory School and then Mrs Sam’s Preparatory School, a school also attended by Jerry Rawlings. He was again moved to Accra Newtown Experimental School where he was jumped from Year 2 to Year 3, catching up with his older brother Fui.
He won a United Africa Company (UAC) scholarship in 1960 to start his secondary education at the age of 9 years at the Mfantsipim School where his father and his elder brother, Fui Sokpoli Tsikata also attended. On completion of his 5 year course, he gained admission into the University of Ghana, Legon at the age of 16, where he obtained an LL.B First Class degree at the age of 18 years. Only one other 18 year old had completed a degree programme at that time. His lecturers included Professor Ofosu Amaah and Dr. Obed Asamoah, a former foreign minister and Attorney General of Ghana.
He then won a post-graduate scholarship from the University of Ghana to Oxford University where he again obtained first class honours in Bachelor of Civil Law which is equivalent to a master's degree at other British universities.
Tsikata held a Junior Research Fellowship at Corpus Christi College, Oxford where he also served as a tutor. On his return to Ghana in 1974, he was appointed a lecturer at the law faculty of the University of Ghana. Some of his students included Kwamena Ahwoi, Alban Bagbin, former majority leader in the Parliament of Ghana and Freddie Blay, former first deputy speaker in the Parliament of Ghana, a former first deputy speaker in parliament.
Tsikata has served as counsel to a number of notable personalities over the years. These include Captain Kojo Tsikata, his cousin and Kofi Awoonor. During the era of the National Redemption Council/Supreme Military Council military regimes of Acheampong, he defended Samuel Okudjeto and William Ofori Atta who stood trial for political reasons. After the May 15 uprising in 1979, he was counsel for Jerry Rawlings during the treason trial that came to an abrupt end when the SMC military government led by Fred Akuffo was overthrown on 4 June 1979. He was the lead Counsel for the ruling National Democratic Congress in an electoral petition in Ghana.
Ghana National Petroleum Company
Tsikata was appointed the Chief Executive of the Ghana National Petroleum Company (GNPC) from October 1988 to December 2000 by the PNDC led by Jerry Rawlings.
Trial, Jail and Pardon
Tsikata was tried for causing financial loss of GH¢230,000 to the state after a trial through the Accra Fast Track Tribunal, one of many set up by the Kufuor government to try such cases. The trial lasted for six years. He was pronounced guilty on 18 June 2008 by Mrs. Justice Hernrietta Abban. The length of the trial is reputed to be the longest ever involving a former government official in the history of the country.
Those loyal to President Kufuor's New Patriotic Party government hailed this as a triumph for the judicial system while Tsikata's sympathisers and National Democratic Congress supporters saw the trial as politically motivated. This led to the formation of the 'Free Tsatsu Movement'. He was granted an unconditional pardon by the then President John Kufuor on his last day of office after his party, the New Patriotic Party lost the Ghanaian presidential election, 2008. At the time, he was on admission at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital under prison guard following a severe bout of asthma.
Tsatsu Tsikata rejected the presidential pardon and announced at a forum later that he felt the pardon was not in good faith and that he would fight through the court system to clear his name. He was the lead counsel for the NDC during the first ever electoral petition trial filed by the opposition New Patriotic Party challenging the results of the 2012
Tsikata is one of seven siblings. His father was Godwin Kwaku-Sru Tsikata, a retired Textiles Sales Manager with the United Africa Corporation (UAC). He is married to Esther Cobbah and they have three children.
Award winning Ghanaian musician, M.anifest, is one of his children
Personal and Social Life
Tsikata is Christian and an elder of the Asbury Dunwell Church in Accra. He is a known asthmatic and this appears to have limited his extracurricular activities and school attendance as a child. After he was jailed in 2008, he had an acute asthmatic attack that took him from the Nsawam prisons to intensive care.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Simple Ways To Pass US Embassy Interview & Get Your Visa
- Cristiano Ronaldo vs Lionel Messi: The individual awards
- Five-year-old 'marries love of her life' before surgery
- Russian powerlifter unveils photos of her physique
- The best exercises and nutrition to tone your tummy
- More Demands For Monthly Allowance....Hygiene School Traainees Join Fray
- Female Student Stabbed In The Face By Her Hostel Mate
- Strategy: 10 'bad' habits that are actually signs you're smarter than you think
- Relationships and Sex: The only 3 reasons you should ever get back together with an ex
- Tech: Elon Musk is lovesick and lonely after Amber Heard breakup, and doesn't know who to date next
- Nivea Could Not Deal With Your “Nkurasesem” That Is Why They Pulled Down The Billboard And Replaced It — Diamond Appiah
- How TB Joshua Took Advantage Of Me – Jim Iyke
- Trudy Ewurama — Nurse Fired For Facebook Live Loses All She Owns As Fire Guts Her House
- Woman wins £574,278.41 from £1 football accumulator bet
- Secret passageway found under 1,000-year-old Mayan temple
- Story of A World Cup Winner & Madrid Player Who Ended Up Cleaning Boots
- Video: Man Catches Teenager Banging His 13 Year Old Daughter And Beats The S*** Out Of Him
- 11 childhood photos of your favourite stars that will melt your hearts
- Neymar enjoys reunion with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez
- Watch A Nigerian Lady And Her White Lover Stealing Meat At A Party - Video
- SAD NEWS... Former Black Stars Striker Junior Agogo Suffers Stroke, Struggles To Speak
- WhatsApp finally lets users UNSEND embarrassing messages
- How Strange Sickness Paralysed Pretty Actress Lydia Forson
- 16 pastors who could make a perfect government
- Journalists Behind My Arrest - Akua Donkor
- WNBA star Elena Delle Donne marries Amanda Clifton
- New Music: Deon Boakye & KinG Prinz – Babiaa Awu
- Watch Video: Obinim burns ladies panties, brassieres as direction from God
- Sad News: This is what killed Soulama Abdoulaye
- Black Stars: Prophet Mensah Otabil accuses Samuel Inkoom of using Juju to destroy teammates
- My Rent Is Due In February But I Don’t Have Money To Pay — Bukom Banku
- Faye Mpaebo 2
- Three men that are richer than half the US population
- Toddlers joined at skull are separated after surgery
- Videos: Ghanaian Actress Strips Down in Tiny Thong
- Etire Nni Safoa 3
- The rise and rise of China's 'groundscraper' hotel
- Tips for Pregnant Women & Women Seeking to Get Pregnant
- This Lady Says Her Big Br*asts Saved Her During Accident
- Chelsea welcome N'Golo Kante back to Cobham training
- OAU Female Student Commits Suicide Over Poor Grades
- Akoo Nana ARRESTED by Police after Obour and MUSIGA Rant (Video)