A decision by the Asokore Mampong Municipal Assembly in the Ashanti Region to use some of its money given to it by the District Assemblies Common Fund (DACF) for developmental projects to buy pump action guns, has irked the anger of the Auditor-General.
Part VI, Section 11 of the Financial Memoranda enjoins an officer responsible for a head of expenditure to vouch for payment by ensuring that expenditures in respect of services are included in the approved, supplementary or reallocated estimates.
Additionally, Part XII, Section 64 requires an Assembly to maintain a Register of Assets that it owns or leases.
But the Auditor-General does not understand why monies meant for developmental projects could be misapplied to procure guns for personal use by the Member of Parliament for Asawase, Mohammed Mubarak-Muntaka and the former Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) of the area, Mr. Nurudeen Hamidan.
A report of the Auditor-General on the Management and Utilization of District Assemblies’ Common Fund and other Statutory Funds for the year ended December 31, 2015, sighted by Kasapafmonline.com states the Asokore Mampong Municipal Assembly procured two pump action guns valued at GH₵9,100.00 from the main DACF and MP’s DACF accounts for the personal use and protection of the MCE and the honorable MP for Asawase constituency.
What is more worrying, the report noted, was the fact that the two pump action guns were registered in the names of Hon. Mubarak-Muntaka and Mr. Hamidan.
The Auditor-General concerned about this mishap has therefore directed the Assembly to immediately take steps to register the two pump action guns in the name in the name of the Assembly since they are now assets of the Assembly.
“In the absence of effective documentation, the guns might go missing without detection. We recommend that the weapons should be properly documented to establish ownership to the Assembly in compliance with the laws and also management should operate within budgets in order not to throw its budget into disarray,” the report noted.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Jenna Jameson just revealed she's lost a total of 80 pounds on the keto diet
- How Florian Munteanu cut weight for 'Creed II'
- Barclays Bank To Increase Credit Facilities To SMEs Under Partnership With Invest In Africa
- George Andah Discharged
- Kashmir’s Plural Ethos And Communal Harmony
- My Objective Is To Help NDC Win Election 2020 -- Muhammad Nurullah
- John Kumah Writes: The Goodies In The 2019 Budget For Entrepreneurs And Businesses
- African Development Bank To Play Bigger Role In African Economies By Investing In Infrastructure Private Equity
- March For War And Economic Crime Court In Liberia
- IMANI's 2019 Budget Analysis On The Energy Sector
- It Takes More Than The Politicians To Loot Africa Dry
- Obuasi Municipal Assembly To Launch A “Clean Obuasi Campaign”
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- How to prepare egg salad
- Strategy: Amazon's 8-million-square foot HQ2 site in Long Island City will use land previously designated for affordable housing
- Lifestyle: 11 sneaky 'Harry Potter' references you may have missed in 'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald'
- Tech: Google replaces Diane Greene as head of its cloud business (GOOGL)
- Sports: Syracuse had a rough night and their loss to UConn wasn't even the most embarrassing part
- Tech: Bill Gates is so obsessed with redesigning the world's toilets — he brought a jar of poop onstage in Beijing to prove it
- There’s a special AU summit holding over the weekend in Addis Ababa and these are the topics that will be discussed
- Strategy: 'The Da Vinci Code' author Dan Brown explains how he overcame self-doubt and became a bestselling writer who's sold 250 million books
- Lifestyle: Tesla customers in China can now order the Model 3 (TSLA)
- Tech: This media veteran's 41-slide presentation shows the most important tech and media trends you need to know about in 2019
- Politics: US Navy flexes with 2 carriers near China as report warns that Beijing's missiles could sink them
- Strategy: Trump says Amazon 'took the best deals' for HQ2 (AMZN)
- Lifestyle: Ezra Miller posed for the latest issue of Playboy and people are thrilled for what it means for LGBTQ representation
- Ghana’s largest opposition party goes to polls on Saturday
- Sports: Tampa Bay Lightning center Brayden Point recorded a natural hat trick in 91 seconds to lead his team to a comeback victory
- Politics: Republican Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith slammed for 'joking' about voter suppression on college campuses
- Strategy: 'It kind of feels like a scam': Employers are so desperate for workers they're making job offers after a single phone call
- Tech: Ohio 'heartbeat bill' could ban abortions before most women know they're pregnant with an embryo
- Thirty-seven dead after C.Africa clashes: UN
- Salah snatches winner as Egypt edge Tunisia in Cup of Nations
- Ghanaian Among LinkedIn's 2018 Top Voices In Philanthropy And Global Development
- Barclays Partners Invest In Africa
- NCCE Decries Negative Attitudes Towards Sanitation
- Dagbon Receives Roadmap For Peace
- US gives Chad boats, trucks for fight against jihadists
- Ten police injured, 30 people arrested at Algerian top-flight match
- Film tribute to French photographer killed in C. Africa
- Nigerian court cuts jail terms for ex-state governors
- Zverev books spot in semis at ATP Finals