A total of 243 people were killed in road crashes in the Ashanti Region between January and October, this year.
Police Superintendent Frank Abrokwa, Regional Commander of the Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD), who announced this, said in all, 1,806 crashes were recorded during the period.
He put the number of people injured at 1,744.
He was speaking at the opening ceremony of a five-day training session for 119 national service personnel in Kumasi, under the urban traffic management module.
Supt. Abrokwa touched on pedestrian knockdowns and said there were 532 reported such cases.
He reminded the trainees to work with passion to assist to efficiently manage vehicular traffic in the city and check indiscipline.
They should sufficiently educate themselves on the laws governing the work they were going to do and to be civil in the performance of their assigned job.
He expressed concern about the careless disregard for traffic regulations, particularly by tricycle and motor riders – riding through the red light at traffic intersections – and said this could not continue.
The group is the third batch of national service personnel to benefit from the programme.
Their training is being jointly undertaken by the Police Service, Road Safety Commission, and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), and is supported by Vanguard Assurance.
Commissioner of Police (COP) Maxwell Atingane, Director General of the MTTD, urged them to give it their all to help stop the carnage on roads in the region.
“You have not been thrown out there to fulfill the national service conditions but to serve mother Ghana,” he added.
He asked that discipline become their watchword, especially at a time the police service was building on its image.
They should be above reproach and resist any temptation to be corrupted, he added.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Frederick Adu Anin, the Deputy Regional Commander, advised them to collaborate with the police officers, show respect and to understudy them.
The Reverend Kwame Adjei of the National Service Secretariat said it was refreshing that the introduction of the module had brought some improvement to urban traffic management.
Source: The Finder
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- I felt unbearable pain after DNA test proved 3 kids were not mine - Odartey Lamptey
- I am afraid - Suspected police killer speaks
- Top 10 richest African footballers in 2019; Essien, Gyan, Muntari make list
- We are traumatised after witnessing killing of policemen – 13-year-old girl cries
- Prisons Service denies unfair treatment claim by Nigerian jailed 130 years
- Scandal Rocks GRA; Board Chair Grabs GH₵1.4m
- Physically challenged woman thrown onto the Streets after brother sells her house
- WAEC releases 2019 BECE results
- Commanding Officer of Police Training School pulled out
- I’m not worried; Xenophobia or not people will always go to South Africa – SA High Commissioner to Ghana
- Xenophobic attacks: Ghana urged to cut ties with South Africa
- Here are all the results of the NDC parliamentary primaries
- I regret not checking up on Junior Agogo - Derek Boateng
- Stoubos CEO, others on trial for allegedly intercepting government communication
- Video: Solomon Asante scores in Phoenix Rising win in USL
- Emmanuel Frimpong blasts "overpaid" Arsenal players Mkhitaryan, Mustafi and Xhaka
- Stop attacking police officers – Mahama
- Legon medical student ‘commits suicide’
- We're ready to die to protect Ghana – Ghana Armed Forces
- Wanted: Police release photo of Eric Kojo Duah, Buduburam cops killing suspect
- Attack on Fulanis: Burkina Faso Consulate General in Bagurugu to broker peace
- Crowd abandon mob justice, ask thief to desilt gutters at Nkrumah Circle
- Teachers ill-prepared for rushed new curriculum – Educationist
- Central Region:11 constituencies out of NDC primaries
- Halt outsourcing of mining contracts - Mine workers Union
- Western North Region set for NDC primaries
- WANTED: Eric Kojo Duah, Buduburam Cops Killing Suspect
- Kasoa Police killing: Prime suspect arrested
- Police arrests three for killing police officers at Kasoa
- Akufo-Addo ungrateful, perpetuating an unjust betrayal on Dr Busia – Nana Frema Busia
- Fans open DJ Arafat’s coffin to confirm singer's dead body (Video)
- My two wives, child are dead after ‘exposing’ 'occultic pastors' - Evangelist Dominic Appiah
- Kpone Katamanso elects Joe T
- Ayanfuri: Clash between Operation Vanguard and youth leads to death of 2
- African Games: Rose Yeboah wins gold in women’s high jump
- Ayanfuri: Operation Vanguard, Locals Clash
- 2019 BECE: Results of 19 candidates cancelled for sending mobile phones to examination hall
- 3 suspects arrested for murdered police officers at Kasoa
- Anglogold Ashanti Iduaprime Mine - Tarkwa cuts sod for construction of Six Unit Classroom Block at Awudau
- You’ll lose 2020 Polls even if you rig - Islamic Cleric drops bombshell
- NDC parliamentary primaries results
- We’re not recruiting yet – Local Government Service