General News of Thursday, 7 December 2017
Odehye Kwasi Akuffo and Kwadwo Kesse
There is uneasy calm at Akropong Akuapem in the Eastern Region following a reported installation and counter installation of a paramount chief for the traditional area.
As a result, there is currently a heavy police presence at Akropong to forestall any possible bloodshed.
Two factions have emerged from the Sakyebea Royal Family and each is claiming to be the rightful gate to select the next Okuapemhene to succeed the late Oseadeyo Addo Dankwah III, who ruled for 41 years before his demise.
Currently, Odehyie Kwasi Akuffo, a 63-year-old retired journalist and businessman and one Nana Kesse, are being processed simultaneously to be installed the paramount chief.
Odehyie Akuffo is being presented by Okuapemhemaa (queen mother) Nana Afua Nketia Obuo II, while the Baamuhene, Nana Afari Bampoe, is backing Nana Kesse, believed to be in his mid-30s and once domiciled in the United States.
According to Akuapem customs and traditions, before one is enstooled a paramount chief of the traditional area, the person is supposed to go through a four-stage process of nomination, selection, enstoolment and finally, the installation; and it is the commencement of the process that is brewing trouble in the town.
Matters came to a head when the selection process was started in the palace of Nana Kwasi Omenako II, who is the head of the Akuapem Asona royal family (Asonahene) on Tuesday.
The Okuapemhemaa introduced Kwasi Akuffo to the Asonahene as the proposed successor to the late Omanhene and the nominee was sent to ‘Mogyawere,’ the palace of the Adumhene, Adu Panyin II, for confinement for about 40 days for traditional tutelage.
In the process, the Baamuhene, in the company of Nana Osim Kwatia, chief of Amanokrom and Akuapem Gyaasehene Nana Yaw Afari Bampoe, brought Kwadwo Kesse, slaughtered sheep and spilled the blood on his feet to signify the selection of another Akuapemhene.
They allegedly took over the palace and installed Kwadwo Kesse to occupy the Omanahene’s Hall of the palace as a new paramount chief of the Akuapem Traditional Area.
The police then stepped in as things were getting nasty, picked up the Baamuhene, who has since been granted bail, and asked the other chiefs to vacate the palace.
Later, the Municipal Chief Executive of Akuapem North, Dennis Agyapong, told Citi FM in Accra that the residents were in safe hands.
“There has been no casualty; there has been no quarrel; there has been no fight. Everything has been peaceful as it should be. From the outset, we have assured the people that their safety and security is paramount, so, we just put in place measures to ensure that their property and lives are protected,” he said.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Notorious Car Snatcher Arrested During Failed Operation
- Man Surprises Wife With New Car On Their Wedding Day (Photos)
- Power-Drunk Lagos DPO Leads Team To Raid Mosque, Others... 'we paid N30,000 for bail'
- Wicked Couple Killed Their Pregnant Housemaid Over Money
- 5 Sure Rules For Wearing Men's Suit
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NGO Cite MOFA Staff In Fertilizer Smuggling
- 20% Of Ghana’s Budget Lost Through Corruption Annually
- Collapse Of Sovereign Bank: BOST Board Chairman Resigns
- Green Corporate Star Award Launched To Promote Leadership In Green Business
- 'Among Them, He Stands Tall' - 94 MPs Reaffirm Support For Mahama
- Coalition Against Galamsey Demands Clarity On Roadmap To Lift Small-Scale Mining Ban
- Teachers Licensing Exams Immaterial Now
- UAE Will Create Businesses Opportunities For Ghanaian Enterprises - Ambassador
- Spio-Garbrah Outlines 'Pillars' To Strengthen NDC, Return Party To Power
- Panic Withdrawals Hit Some Savings And Loans Companies
- Hearts of Oak-Asante Kotoko Permitted To Use Guest Players In 'Double Super Clash' Friendlies
- Asamoah Gyan Is Still My Captain - Kwesi Appiah
- Fixtures: Preview of the top 5 matches in Europe this weekend
- Ranking: Did you know Aubameyang is the fastest Arsenal player?
- Ibrahim Tanko: Black Stars assistant coach explains absence of Gyan and Ayew brothers
- Politics: Justin Trudeau says he is continuing to 'engage diplomatically' with Saudi Arabia but remains 'concerned' over the impending execution of a Saudi activist
- These Samira Bawumia’s BEAUTIFUL Hajj photos WITHOUT make-up stuns the internet
- You look like 43yr old born 5- Kumawood’s 19 yr old Maame Serwaa trolled
- General Mosquito ‘begging’ for my contact- Atinka TV Di-Asa Finalist reveals
- [Cartoon] Ba-Ba-Ba-Bagbin, apologise or else!
- Archipalago to beat any Ghanaian lady who marries a Nigerian after Becca’s
- Robbery Suspects In Army Uniform Escape From Police Custody
- Fatal Accident On Lokoja Highway, 3 Persons Burnt To Death
- Big Ship Heading To Nigeria With Illegal Ammunitions Held In SA
- You Will Return To Your Village In 2019 - PDP Replies Buhari
- Ajimobi Meets Yinka Ayefele Over Demolition Of His Building
- We're Doing Our Best, I Know Nigerians Are Happy - Buhari
- Zimbabwe court to rule on bid to annul election result
- AUDIO: Asamoah Gyan Is Likely To Retire After AFCON 2019 - Anim Addo
- FOUR Key Points That Distinguished Isaac Cofie's Fantastic Debut With Sporting Gijon
- Ghana-target Derrick Luckassen set to join German side Hertha BSC
- Deputy Attorney General Joseph Kpemka explains new decision on GFA