General News of Thursday, 7 December 2017
Odehye Kwasi Akuffo and Kwadwo Kesse
There is uneasy calm at Akropong Akuapem in the Eastern Region following a reported installation and counter installation of a paramount chief for the traditional area.
As a result, there is currently a heavy police presence at Akropong to forestall any possible bloodshed.
Two factions have emerged from the Sakyebea Royal Family and each is claiming to be the rightful gate to select the next Okuapemhene to succeed the late Oseadeyo Addo Dankwah III, who ruled for 41 years before his demise.
Currently, Odehyie Kwasi Akuffo, a 63-year-old retired journalist and businessman and one Nana Kesse, are being processed simultaneously to be installed the paramount chief.
Odehyie Akuffo is being presented by Okuapemhemaa (queen mother) Nana Afua Nketia Obuo II, while the Baamuhene, Nana Afari Bampoe, is backing Nana Kesse, believed to be in his mid-30s and once domiciled in the United States.
According to Akuapem customs and traditions, before one is enstooled a paramount chief of the traditional area, the person is supposed to go through a four-stage process of nomination, selection, enstoolment and finally, the installation; and it is the commencement of the process that is brewing trouble in the town.
Matters came to a head when the selection process was started in the palace of Nana Kwasi Omenako II, who is the head of the Akuapem Asona royal family (Asonahene) on Tuesday.
The Okuapemhemaa introduced Kwasi Akuffo to the Asonahene as the proposed successor to the late Omanhene and the nominee was sent to ‘Mogyawere,’ the palace of the Adumhene, Adu Panyin II, for confinement for about 40 days for traditional tutelage.
In the process, the Baamuhene, in the company of Nana Osim Kwatia, chief of Amanokrom and Akuapem Gyaasehene Nana Yaw Afari Bampoe, brought Kwadwo Kesse, slaughtered sheep and spilled the blood on his feet to signify the selection of another Akuapemhene.
They allegedly took over the palace and installed Kwadwo Kesse to occupy the Omanahene’s Hall of the palace as a new paramount chief of the Akuapem Traditional Area.
The police then stepped in as things were getting nasty, picked up the Baamuhene, who has since been granted bail, and asked the other chiefs to vacate the palace.
Later, the Municipal Chief Executive of Akuapem North, Dennis Agyapong, told Citi FM in Accra that the residents were in safe hands.
“There has been no casualty; there has been no quarrel; there has been no fight. Everything has been peaceful as it should be. From the outset, we have assured the people that their safety and security is paramount, so, we just put in place measures to ensure that their property and lives are protected,” he said.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Tech: Elon Musk is lovesick and lonely after Amber Heard breakup, and doesn't know who to date next
- Secret passageway found under 1,000-year-old Mayan temple
- The rise and rise of China's 'groundscraper' hotel
- KABA´s days at Techiman Senior High School
- Praise & Worship by 12 years old Odehyieba Priscilla ( Must Watch)
- Military Coup: Robert Mugabe UNDER SIEGE
- Cristiano Ronaldo secretly calls Messi over Ballon D'Or
- Hilarious online gallery compiles worst car modifications
- Dear Youth,Look! Old Age Is Coming
- New Music: E.L - Nina (Prod. by E.L)
- Rejoinder: Customs Officers Expose Finance Minister
- Celebrity Breakup: Ekow Smith and I were not compatible - Nikki Samonas
- Otiko Djaba’s cleavage causes stir in Parliament
- Quiz that’ll help you win every row with your other half
- I never attended secondary school – Obaapa Christy
- Doomsday warning to humanity signed by 15,000 scientists
- Yvonne Nelson: 'My pregnancy was planned': actress says she planned for it when she turned 29
- Mercy Johnson & Husband Shares Workout Photos
- DVD market is dead, you’re lucky if you sell 1000 - Shirley Frimpong-Manso
- Third Africa Business Media Innovators Summit To Convene Media Visionaries From 20 African Nations in Ghana
- 8 Major Things To Happen In 2018 Predicted
- Catholic priest mediates Mugabe's 'honourable exit'
- Jay Z, Kim Kardashian attend Serena Williams' wedding
- Mother's unique punishment to son goes viral
- FBI are investigating the judge that jailed Meek Mill
- KABA’s students recall fond memories of his days as a teacher
- Chelsea Clinton wears ladylike dress to Glamour event
- Watch: Wizkid drops music video for ‘Manya’, gives props to VIP
- Lifestyle: 5 adorable Ghanaian celebrity couples we hope never, ever break up
- Green tea supplements warning after teen's organ damage
- Students of Parkoso SHS study on bare floor
- Kwabena Kwabena not my lover – Frema
- Full story: How KABA died!
- Man United star Pogba and brother attend MTV awards
- Strategy: 5 books that can help you have a happier marriage
- Cristiano Ronaldo wants 7 Ballon d'Ors and 7 children
- Tech: A 20-year-old YouTube star just bought a $6.9 million mansion — take a look inside
- Video: Afia Schwarzenegger kisses Y FM’s presenter at DJ Mensah's All-White party
- Strategy: 9 ways to seem more attractive to everyone you meet
- Mugabe Agrees To Step Down, Negotiates For Wife To Leave
- I am not a Hearts of Oak supporter- Otumfuo
- US investigators return to scene of Niger ambush: military