General News of Friday, 8 December 2017
Late Major Maxwell Mahama
Defence Minister, Dominic Nitiwul has announced the Major Mahama Bill which was recently passed into law, will be amended.
Taking his turn at the meet the press series today [Thursday] the minister said the suggestions by some individuals for the bill to be expanded to cover others were a great decision.
“This suggestion is worth considering, and we’re putting a memo together to have a discussion with the Commander in Chief who’s the President so that we can take a relook at it. But let me tell you that the Armed Forces regulations, make provision very explicitly for people who get maimed, people who die or get incapacitated, or suffer some any form of injury, there are compensation for everyone of them. So it’s not as if there’s nothing.
But it looks like the people of Ghana want a specific law so that we can amend the Armed Forces regulations and set up a specific law for those category of persons who die. I think it’s worthwhile considering and we’ll do that and bring it. Only what I’ll tell you is that we the people must fund it.
He added: If every November, we all decide to give 0.05% of our salaries which is the Veterans month for that fund I’ll be very happy and I’m saying let’s champion that course, 0/05% of our salaries.”
Ghana’s Parliament in November approved a bill that will make the spouse and children of Major Maxwell Mahama the state’s responsibility.
The bill was introduced in Parliament Tuesday, October 24 in fulfilment of President Nana Akufo-Addo’s promise to the family of Major Mahama, a military officer lynched by a mob in Denkyira-Obuasi now New Oboase.
The soldier was murdered in May 2017 after residents of the Central Region town allegedly mistook him for an armed robber.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Driver who killed WASS student on Adenta highway arrested
- I never said Mahama led corrupt regime – Rawlings
- Boateng made me mature - Mellissa Satta
- Ghana defender Daniel Opare makes Sergio Ramos confession
- Kwesi Appiah has 'lost it' after Benjamin Tetteh snub - Dreams FC administrative chief
- Tech: Apple announces hardware issues with its iPhone X and 13-inch MacBook Pro
- Politics: The US and Japan finished their 'largest and most complex' military exercise, amid rising tensions with China
- Tech: CEO Jeff Lawson says Twilio is committing $1M to homelessness programs after Prop C passed: 'Let's get it done' (TWLO)
- Anas’ Number 12 video fake – Nyaho-Tamakloe
- Kotoko to face Cameroonian FA Cup champions in Confederation Cup preliminary round
- NPP gov’t didn’t prioritize completion of Adenta footbridges – Inusah Fuseini
- 'We would give Hearts of Oak a good fight' - Willie Klutse
- Finance Ministry to write off $141milion GRIDCo debt
- Hansa Rostock continues to sweat over fitness of injury-prone Phil Ofosu- Ayeh
- ‘No national service, no employment’ – Napo warns trainee teachers
- Demonstration looms on Tema motorway over deadly potholes
- Oshiomhole Battle: Buhari, Tinubu, Others Meet To Decide
- Woman R*ped By Notorious Boys In Presence Of Boyfriend
- VP Osinbajo Replies House Of Reps
- 12 Illegally Imported Exotic Cars Seized By Customs
- Six Reasons Why Oshiomhole Is In Trouble
- Son Of Ex-governor Chime Set To Wed, Releases Pre-Wedding Photos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Free Train Rides From Aladja-Warri To Itakpe-Abuja
- Dino Melaye and Senator Adeleke All Smiles In The Senate
- Some Give Testimony in Church After Asking Babies from Devil – Mike Bamiloye
- Libyan players set for Italy summit in fresh bid to solve crisis
- GOIL, GLICO, Teachers Fund in race for new flag-carrier
- Government secures US$250m agricultural machinery
- Barclays Bank Ghana launches Super Fans Fanzone
- This ear pimple popping video is explosive and horrifying
- Police dispute Adenta-Madina highway death toll
- Lack of footbridges on Adentan-Madina highway: Akufo-Addo blames past governments
- Politics: Fox News went silent on Twitter — and it could be because of protesters who showed up at Tucker Carlson's house
- What To Do If You're Waiting On God For Something Better
- Here's What You Should Do Before Eating Beans
- Flight attendant breastfeeds passenger’s baby as mother runs out of baby food
- I Started Duping People After A Man Duped Me - Fraudster impersonating Atiku’s aide
- Refusal To Obey Court Order Is Corruption – Emir
- Kidnappers Abduct Woman In Church, Rescued By Police
- Adenta protest: The lawlessness must stop – GHS boss
- NDC Race: Central Region banks hope in Bagbin