General News of Friday, 8 December 2017
Late Major Maxwell Mahama
Defence Minister, Dominic Nitiwul has announced the Major Mahama Bill which was recently passed into law, will be amended.
Taking his turn at the meet the press series today [Thursday] the minister said the suggestions by some individuals for the bill to be expanded to cover others were a great decision.
“This suggestion is worth considering, and we’re putting a memo together to have a discussion with the Commander in Chief who’s the President so that we can take a relook at it. But let me tell you that the Armed Forces regulations, make provision very explicitly for people who get maimed, people who die or get incapacitated, or suffer some any form of injury, there are compensation for everyone of them. So it’s not as if there’s nothing.
But it looks like the people of Ghana want a specific law so that we can amend the Armed Forces regulations and set up a specific law for those category of persons who die. I think it’s worthwhile considering and we’ll do that and bring it. Only what I’ll tell you is that we the people must fund it.
He added: If every November, we all decide to give 0.05% of our salaries which is the Veterans month for that fund I’ll be very happy and I’m saying let’s champion that course, 0/05% of our salaries.”
Ghana’s Parliament in November approved a bill that will make the spouse and children of Major Maxwell Mahama the state’s responsibility.
The bill was introduced in Parliament Tuesday, October 24 in fulfilment of President Nana Akufo-Addo’s promise to the family of Major Mahama, a military officer lynched by a mob in Denkyira-Obuasi now New Oboase.
The soldier was murdered in May 2017 after residents of the Central Region town allegedly mistook him for an armed robber.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- What To Do If You're A Child of God & You Feel Stuck In Life
- Posters naming DRC's Kabila as candidate appear in capital
- US rejects calls for UN support to Sahel force
- What Has Happened To The Precious Dignity Of A Woman?
- New Music: Keeny Ice - Barcode
- Zylofon Cash Premier League: Kotoko coast past Elmina Sharks
- New Music: Strongman - Monster feat. B4Bonah (Prod. by TubhaniMuzik)
- Zylofon Cash Premier League: Results and scorers on match day 13
- Politics: Trump is reportedly considering a plan to slap tariffs on imported cars
- Amnesty highlights sex-for-food claims in Boko Haram-hit NE Nigeria
- Putin, leader of war-torn C.Africa want better ties
- New Music: Strique Phame - So Me Mu (Prod. by Jerry K)
- StreetBeatz: Sarkodie's "Adonai" producer claims he's a good singer
- Christian Council and Catholic Bishops stand against homosexuality
- Majority Leader refutes perception that executive is controlling parliament
- Minority not involved in $89m Kelni GVG deal – Haruna Iddrisu
- Akufo-Addo action on Anas video a diversionary tactic
- Ghana legend Rev Osei Kofi threatens massive ‘demo’ against protecting 'corrupt' FA officials
- Tarkwa-Nsuaem NPP Secretary accuses MCE of assault
- Poisoned ex-spy's daughter says wants to return to Russia 'in future'
- Marine Drive Investment Project gathers steam
- BoG raises concern at rising NPLs
- Ghana’s foreign reserves hit new high
- I rejected a GHC 45000 bribe from Zoomlion boss – Abronye alleges
- Akufo-Addo’s bad governance making Mahama an angel – Bawa
- Guy Smarts: Sleeping in on the weekends could help you live longer
- Christian Council and GCBC express concern over church abuses
- LGS signs Agreement to improve agriculture in Northern Ghana
- Akufo-Addo action on Anas video a diversionary tactic - General Mosquito
- Rev Osei Kofi threatens massive ‘demo’ against protecting 'corrupt' FA officials
- Meet Airport Cleaner Who Returned $6,000 She Found In Toilet
- Notorious Robber Begs For His Life After Being Caught In Delta
- E-Money's 10 Luxury Vehicles Impounded Over N6M Import Duty
- Things You Should Know About Travelling Abroad
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Successful Operation Vanguard Activities Lead To Over 1,000 Arrests
- Ghanaians Should Appreciate Research Value For Quality Healthcare Delivery
- Journalism And Professionalism- Where Does Ghana Stand?
- Finance Minister To Chair World Bank/IMF Development Committee
- “Restructuring The Electricity Sector”
- Betrayal Is Always A Bad Thing!
- Debt-Burdened Malaysia, Autocracy, Corruption And The Future Of Bangladesh