General News of Friday, 8 December 2017
Late Major Maxwell Mahama
Defence Minister, Dominic Nitiwul has announced the Major Mahama Bill which was recently passed into law, will be amended.
Taking his turn at the meet the press series today [Thursday] the minister said the suggestions by some individuals for the bill to be expanded to cover others were a great decision.
“This suggestion is worth considering, and we’re putting a memo together to have a discussion with the Commander in Chief who’s the President so that we can take a relook at it. But let me tell you that the Armed Forces regulations, make provision very explicitly for people who get maimed, people who die or get incapacitated, or suffer some any form of injury, there are compensation for everyone of them. So it’s not as if there’s nothing.
But it looks like the people of Ghana want a specific law so that we can amend the Armed Forces regulations and set up a specific law for those category of persons who die. I think it’s worthwhile considering and we’ll do that and bring it. Only what I’ll tell you is that we the people must fund it.
He added: If every November, we all decide to give 0.05% of our salaries which is the Veterans month for that fund I’ll be very happy and I’m saying let’s champion that course, 0/05% of our salaries.”
Ghana’s Parliament in November approved a bill that will make the spouse and children of Major Maxwell Mahama the state’s responsibility.
The bill was introduced in Parliament Tuesday, October 24 in fulfilment of President Nana Akufo-Addo’s promise to the family of Major Mahama, a military officer lynched by a mob in Denkyira-Obuasi now New Oboase.
The soldier was murdered in May 2017 after residents of the Central Region town allegedly mistook him for an armed robber.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Tech: Gamers from across the eSports industry are paying tribute to the victims of the Madden shooting in Jacksonville
- Kenya reject chance to host 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations after Ghana axing
- Ghana stripped of hosting rights for 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations
- Dogboe dares fellow champions to a showdown
- Akufo-Addo to construct 20 TVET schools across Ghana
- Politics: Police have identified the suspect in the deadly shooting in Jacksonville — here's what we know about him
- Bawumia lauds Isaac Dogboe; says he is great
- Politics: The White House was going to issue a statement praising John McCain — until Trump reportedly nixed it
- Deadly Kidnappers Kill Businessman, Abduct His Girlfriend
- "PDP Presidential Ticket Shouldn’t Be For A Man With Big Pocket"
- Bridge Linking Gombe, Adamawa, Borno Gets Completely Cut Off
- Leave Us Alone, We're Not Answerable To You - Wike government in "fraud" battle with EFCC
- Here Are Essentials That Students Need as They Prepare to Return to School
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Olubadan Celebrates 90th Birthday, Ibadan Obas Absent (Photos)
- PDP Challenges Buhari To Debate On Good Governance
- Win Or Bust For Goal-shy Sundowns In CAF Champions League
- Over 400 Former Beige Bank Staff Sacked
- Lakeside Business Centre Backs Stronger National Banks
- Ace Ankomah Shreds Menzgold
- ECOWAS Brown Card Training Intensifies; Reaches National Bureau Secretariat
- Rehabilitation Of Ghana's Railways To 'Create 750 Jobs'
- 112 New Engineers Inducted Into Ghana Institution Of Engineering
- Newspaper Headlines: Monday, August 27, 2018
- Kofi Adams, Why Won’t Discerning Ghanaians Panic Over Mahama’s Comeback?
- Re- Okoampah’s Insults On Kufuor, Agyarko
- Freight forwarders strike over Cargo Tracking Notes
- CAF seeking new hosts for 2018 AWCON after dumping Ghana
- Waasland-Beveren star Nana Ampomah fires in brace in win at Genk
- Ghana to miss out of 2019 Women's World Cup, AWCON axing affects Black Queens
- Enterprise Insurance intensifies campaign for building insurance
- Lakeside Business Centre backs stronger National banks
- Consolidated bank sacks over 400 former Beige bank staff
- I’ve committed ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ to Allah – Bawumia
- Banks Merger: 400 BEIGE bank staff sacked as restructure of Consolidated bank begins
- Reformed: Mahama a changed man; he now listens to NDC Elders – Nii Lante
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana stripped of Africa Women's Nations Cup hosting rights
- Politics: North Korea's state newspaper claims the US is secretly plotting to 'unleash a war' while continuing to negotiate 'with a smile on its face'