General News of Thursday, 7 December 2017
Parliament of Ghana
Deputy Minority Whip Ahmed Ibrahim says it is time the Executive takes government business more seriously.
He says just a year after Ghanaians voted the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) into office, some ministers of state are taking the business of Parliament for granted.
His comments come on a day when five Ministers who had questions to answer on the floor as well as some Members of Parliament (MPs) abandoned government business to attend the late Asantehemaa’s funeral in Kumasi.
“If you look at the order of the day, the business committee cannot sit and arrange business for the day and not even one of the businesses that were slated is ready for execution.
“Railway, Lands, Regional Organisation Ministers are all not ready to answer questions? Just one year down the line, if you can’t handle the power then give it to us…we are ready,” the Banda MP said.
With this kind of attitude, he wondered how Ghana will go beyond aid, a mantra President Akufo-Addo has so popularized.
But the Majority Leader Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu told journalists the sitting on Thursday was brief because MPs had to go participate in the funeral ceremony of the Asantehene’s deceased mother in Kumasi.
“The statement was mischief inspired…we have decided that we will be part of the funeral of the Asantehemaa, so this day was to count as a sitting day that is why we migrated a lot of the business to be transacted today to Friday and Monday,” he said.
He said he is surprised by the comments because the minority was aware since it was a collective agreement adding he communicated with the Minority Leader.
According to him, it also has nothing to do with the Thanksgiving ceremony organized by the NPP to celebrate its election victory.
“The Thanksgiving was slated to end at 9 am in the morning,” he said.
However, Mr Ibrahim said there was no agreement in the house, adding the Majority Leader who is the leader of government business in the House and also the chairman of the Business Committee should have known better.
He questioned how Mr Mensa-Bonsu who is fully aware of the upcoming funeral scheduled appearances of five ministers to answer questions on the same day.
The MP argued that the Ministers were aware that they must appear before the House and Wednesday’s order of business also mentioned it so he had ample time to inform the MPs about the cancellation which he failed to do.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Tech: Elon Musk is lovesick and lonely after Amber Heard breakup, and doesn't know who to date next
- Secret passageway found under 1,000-year-old Mayan temple
- The rise and rise of China's 'groundscraper' hotel
- KABA´s days at Techiman Senior High School
- Praise & Worship by 12 years old Odehyieba Priscilla ( Must Watch)
- Military Coup: Robert Mugabe UNDER SIEGE
- Cristiano Ronaldo secretly calls Messi over Ballon D'Or
- Hilarious online gallery compiles worst car modifications
- New Music: E.L - Nina (Prod. by E.L)
- Rejoinder: Customs Officers Expose Finance Minister
- Celebrity Breakup: Ekow Smith and I were not compatible - Nikki Samonas
- Otiko Djaba’s cleavage causes stir in Parliament
- Quiz that’ll help you win every row with your other half
- I never attended secondary school – Obaapa Christy
- Doomsday warning to humanity signed by 15,000 scientists
- Mercy Johnson & Husband Shares Workout Photos
- DVD market is dead, you’re lucky if you sell 1000 - Shirley Frimpong-Manso
- 8 Major Things To Happen In 2018 Predicted
- Catholic priest mediates Mugabe's 'honourable exit'
- Jay Z, Kim Kardashian attend Serena Williams' wedding
- Mother's unique punishment to son goes viral
- FBI are investigating the judge that jailed Meek Mill
- KABA’s students recall fond memories of his days as a teacher
- Chelsea Clinton wears ladylike dress to Glamour event
- Watch: Wizkid drops music video for ‘Manya’, gives props to VIP
- Lifestyle: 5 adorable Ghanaian celebrity couples we hope never, ever break up
- Green tea supplements warning after teen's organ damage
- Students of Parkoso SHS study on bare floor
- Kwabena Kwabena not my lover – Frema
- Full story: How KABA died!
- Strategy: 5 books that can help you have a happier marriage
- Cristiano Ronaldo wants 7 Ballon d'Ors and 7 children
- Tech: A 20-year-old YouTube star just bought a $6.9 million mansion — take a look inside
- Video: Afia Schwarzenegger kisses Y FM’s presenter at DJ Mensah's All-White party
- Strategy: 9 ways to seem more attractive to everyone you meet
- Mugabe Agrees To Step Down, Negotiates For Wife To Leave
- I am not a Hearts of Oak supporter- Otumfuo
- Hollywood blockbusters are subtly fuelling sexism
- Yvonne Nelson’s baby ‘daddy’ shares new photo
- Sandra Achums Welcomes Baby Boy In Germany (Photos)
- Tiwa Savage beats Yemi Alade, wins best female West African act at AFRIMA
- Lilwin electrifies Kumkum Bhagya stage with crazy dance moves