Government has claimed credit for stable supply of power, a position likely to trigger opposition uproar in the credit-taking industry of politicians.
Information Minister, Mustapha Hamid, was keen to impress upon Joy News reporter Parker Wilson that the bygone days of power erraticity is because “we have made the prudent financial decisions that have allowed us to be able to stablise the power”.
Although Ghana hads enough installed generation capacity of 2,930 megawatts (MW) by 2012, it could rarely produce 2,100MW to meet demand.
In a costly spree of assembling power plants, the Mahama administration procured four additional power projects: Karpower barge (225 MW); Ameri Power (250 MW); TICO steam turbine (110 MW); and BXC solar (20 MW) in what was described as the “fastest mobilisation of power in the history of Ghana”.
While announcing an end to power crisis in a February 2016 address to Parliament, Mahama would later add a caveat that “our energy challenges are not over but at least for now, we have been able to fix the problem”
He explained that although government has been able to match demand and supply, several generating assets are gas-based which could trigger a relapse into power rations if government is not able to get enough gas to feed them.
The Information minister Mustapha Hamid would feel the NPP is justified in its view that the energy crisis that plagued the John Mahama administration was down to financial challenges and not technical problems as the NDC had argued.
But the claim will not go unnoticed as the repeat of same by the Finance minister Ken Ofori-Atta during his budget presentation last month was met with boos and jeers from the Minority NDC.
The Minority leader Haruna Iddrisu was in disbelief at the Finance minister’s comment and told the media “we were told that they have provided a reliable electricity, I am sure for lack of a better word, he had wanted to say that he had inherited reliable supply of electricity’’
The NDC has a jealous regard for Mahama’s record and insists that it handed over political power and sufficient electrical power to the NPP in January 2017.
“Dumsor ended as far back as January 2016 and you can check from GRIDCo, these are fact and not opinions”, the Minority has said.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Politician Accuses Policeman Of Shooting, Breaking His Leg
- We won’t accept less than N30,000 minimum wage - Labour
- Woman Steals Her Family Friend's Children... she's on the run
- Nude Bath Video of Osun Lawmaker: Update From The Court
- 17 Grabbed For Galamsey At Nzema East
- Storekeeper Who Stole Free School Uniforms Under Investigations
- Nana Addo Set To Graduate NABCO Recruits Today
- Oti Region Presents Its Presidential Candidate For NDC Leadership Race
- State-Owned Gold Refinery Project To Create Over 1,000 Jobs
- Nzema East MCE donates furniture, shoes to schools in Municipality
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Striker Bismarck Appiah Joins Ethiopian Champions Jimma Abba Jifar FC
- 2019 AFCON Qualifier: Nigeria Beat Libya To Go Top Of Group E
- Kotoko Confirm Readiness To Re-Sign Midfielder Adjei
- Brazil Edge Past Argentina With Injury-Time Winner
- France Add To Germany's Woes As Griezmann Leads Comeback Win
- Kotoko To Engage Karela United In A Friendly
- 2019 AFCON Qualifier: Uganda Extend Group L Lead After Impressive Win Over Lesotho
- I Would Have Loved To Have Played For Kotoko – Dan Quaye
- Samudeen Ibrahim Arrives In Morocco For Raja Casablanca Switch
- 2019 AFCON Qualifier: Benin Blow Group D Wide Open With Shock Win Over Algeria
- APO: Rugby: Zambia face Algeria in the decider game to determine who qualifies to the Gold Cup 2019
- First photos of newly-built Kejetia market in Kumasi
- Tech: MTV is bringing back 'The Real World' for Facebook Watch, and will let the audience vote on the direction of the show
- APO: Get Into Rugby - Zambia : U12-14 Independence Tag Rugby Games 2018
- Politics: 'I don't think he has any money': Trump taunts Michael Avenatti after legal win and discounts his potential 2020 presidential bid
- Nigerian Actor Blossom's Wife Suffers Serious Burns After She Poured Hot Water On Her Body (Photos)
- APC, Police Colluding To Stop My Election Petition – Adeleke
- Nayorigo Primary School Lacks Furniture,Textbooks
- Father’s Scarecrow, My Sex Life And Millennials: Part I
- Gowon’s Injustice To Taiwo: Curse On Nigeria?
- Over 200 Global Food Movement Leaders and Organizations Reject "Gene Drives"
- Support Local Contractors - Alhaji PMC Urges Gov’t
- Namibian Delegation In Ghana To Strengthen Trade Relations
- Can A Fig Tree Produce Olives?
- Free SHS: Double Track To Run For 6 Years – MP
- Highlighting 1M Job Losses Without Corresponding Gains: An Illustrative Case Of Intellectual Dishonesty?
- Somalia Needs True Freedom, Peace And Progress
- Abdul Razak Feels Disappointed For Not Given The Opportunity To Coach A National Team
- SHOCKING: Black Stars Management Member Demanded 20,000 Euros From Elvis Manu To Help Him Get A Call-Up - Arhinful Reveals
- Ghana Hosts West African Zone One Triathlon Championship 11th November
- Kasim Nuhu Set To Return For TSG Hoffenheim Ahead Of FC Nuremberg Clash