The electoral dispute over Krachi West Constituency has come to an end with a Ho High Court declaring the New Patriotic Party (NPP) candidate, Mr Michael Yaw Gyato, as the winner of the 2016 parliamentary election.
Mr Gyato, who had been declared the Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency, faced a fierce legal battle from the National Democratic Congress (NDC) candidate, Mr Wisdom Gidisu, who sought to unseat him based on issues of over voting.
However, the high court, presided over by Justice Eric Baah, held that the petitioner could not make a clear case to warrant the cancellation of result from the six polling stations in dispute and, therefore, struck the matter out after over a one and half hour judgement last Friday.
The court ordered the registrar of the court to furnish the Electoral Commission (EC) with a copy of the judgement to certify Mr Gyato as the MP for the area.
Award of cost
The petitioner, Mr Gidisu is to pay a cost of GH¢20,000 to the MP and GH¢5,000 to the EC as first and second respondents in the case respectively.
Some party sympathisers who had thronged the court to support Mr Gyato, who is also the Deputy Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation, carried him high to signify victory.
In the suit, the petitioner raised issues of over voting at six polling stations such as Lapas, Njare A and B, Banka, and Tokorano L.A. primary schools and prayed the court to cancel the results of these areas and declare him winner of the election.
In the judgement, the court only determined an over voting case at Katanga polling station with one vote from a total ballot cast of 266 instead of 265 but said it was insignificant to cause a cancellation of the results of the said polling station.
For the other five, the court observed that the inconsistencies that occurred were mere entry and arithmetic mistake, which did not prove any over voting.
He noted that the polling agents formed integral part of the electoral system and, therefore, were not ‘dummies’ placed at the centres without any importance.
He, therefore, agreed with the respondents that if there were any irregularities, the polling agents would have been the first to raise issues with the situation, which did not occur in the instant case. The judge did not, however, rule out the fact that the petitioner might have a case even if his agents failed to raise issues.
Make EC definition of over voting statutory
The judge, who said he had a challenge defining what over voting was, said he relied on the EC working definition for over voting, which states that ‘Over voting will be deemed to have occurred when the number of ballots in the ballot box exceed the number of verified voters’, to determine the case.
Source: Daily Graphic
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Five DR Congo reporters freed after being held by police
- Must Voting To Create New Regions In GhanaTake Place Nationwide?
- No Traces Of One District, One Factory In B/A – Agyenim Boateng
- Mother Nature In Tears…
- Greeners Foundation Outlines Step To Revitalize Agriculture Among The Youth In Ghana
- Ghana Pull Out Of Africa Inter Club Competition Next Year
- Hearts of Oak Contract Rebel Samudeen Ibrahim Still In Ghana
- Dan Quaye Call On Normalisation Committee To Come To The Aid Of GPL Players
- WBO Africa Junior Middleweight Champion Allotey Donates To Korokoo Project
- Ghana’s Rising Star Jonathan Euro To Fight In Hong Kong
- Asamoah Gyan Urges Boxing Fans To Comport Themselves At WBO African Lightweight Championship
- Welbeck Oliviera Ayeh Glad To Join Black Bombers ...Targets Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
- Lifestyle: 10 foods you didn't realize were vegan
- Lifestyle: 10 differences between Halloween in the US and the UK
- Lifestyle: Meghan Markle's best outfits during her pregnancy so far
- Tech: Stephen Hawking warned that machines are getting smarter than ever, and dismissing it could be our worst mistake
- Lifestyle: 10 viral dog adoption stories that rocked the internet in 2018
- Lifestyle: Meghan Markle reportedly said her pregnancy feels like 'jet lag' and has her doing 4:30 a.m. yoga
- Did Mahama Really Admit He Cannot Fix A Broken Economy In 30 Months?
- Tsatsu Tsikata Is as Guilty as Rawlings and Cousin Kojo Tsikata in the Murder of the Judges
- The Literary World Of Ama Atta Aidoo
- 36 pupils pregnant , 31 between the ages of nine and 19 living with HIV
- Inequality gap widens in Ghana - GIDRN
- Assemblies must prioritise local tourism to stimulate growth
- Gushegu officers trained on GESI
- Seven in Court for alleged unlawful destruction of Stadium plastic chairs
- NGO aids girl rescued from child marriage to become a dressmaker
- Education remains inevitable weapon for economic transformation - UW Minister
- Thomas Partey Rubbishes Atletico Madrid Exit Report
- Mubarak Wakaso Cameos As Alaves Jump To Top Of La Liga With Celta Vigo Win
- Emmanuel Boateng & Raphael Dwamena Named In Levante Squad For Real Madrid Clash
- Former Hasmal Defender Alex Amuzu Switches To Bahir Dar Kenema In Ethiopia
- Thomas Partey Named In Atletico Madrid Squad To Face Villareal Amid Transfer Reports
- Tech: OnePlus rescheduled its upcoming smartphone event because Apple just recently announced its own event on the same day (AAPL)
- Tech: Twitter is shutting down bot accounts posting pro-Saudi tweets about missing dissident Khashoggi (TWTR)
- Politics: Trump's handling of Saudi Arabia and the Khashoggi case is alienating him from his biggest allies in Congress
- Avril Lavigne says she 'couldn't get the f*ck out of bed' with lyme disease
- Tech: Facebook is battling a tidal wave of fake news and misinformation on WhatsApp in Brazil (FB)
- Finance: Disappointing photos show what owning a yacht is like in real life
- Politics: Saudi officials reportedly confirm Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi is dead
- Lifestyle: 17 essential quotes from Kim Kardashian, from her brutal honesty to her offbeat sense of humor
- Lifestyle: 30 photos that show how Katy Perry's beauty looks have evolved