THE DANISH International Development Agency (DANIDA) has provisionally handed over the extended portion of the Eastern Corridor Fiber Optic Backbone project to the Government of Ghana.
The 165 kilometers extended backbone project links Ho to Accra; and its implementation started in 2016 with Kenpong Construction Limited playing a key role as the subcontractor.
It seeks to provide a telecommunications infrastructure on which government’s digitization programmes shall operate.
The actual Eastern Corridor Fiber Optic Backbone Project, which spans 800 km, linking Ghana’s south and north as well as international submarine gateways, commenced in 2013 with a €38 million support from the government of Denmark. It serves major towns such as Ho, Kpando, Jasikan, Nkwanta, Bimbilla, Yendi, Tamale, Gushiegua and Bawku as well as 23 smaller communities.
The project, with a data centre and a managed service component to ensure the security of data on the entire network, was designed and implemented by Alcatel-Lucen, with support from Ghanaian construction company, Kenpong Construction Limited.
Speaking at the handing-over ceremony on Friday, April 13, the Minister of Communications, Ursula Owusu-Ekuful, indicated that about 120 communities were connected along the Eastern Corridor route which is expected to be managed by the National Information Technology Agency (NITA).
According to her, the decision to link neighbouring communities along the fiber optic route was to enable them “utilize the high-speed access that it grants them to both voice and data connectivity.”
“Without a robust fiber optic network, it is too expensive to deliver telecommunication services to remote parts of the country or to deliver high-speed internet services to even those of us in the urban areas,” she observed.
“So it was imperative that the government put in place a fiber loop around the country on which we will utilize to extend services to all the communities along the route,” she added.
The minister explained that President Akufo-Addo’s New Patriotic Party (NPP) government is keen on digitizing the Ghanaian economy and providing a better e-governance service for the masses.
In a remark, the Ambassador of Denmark to Ghana, Tove Degnbol, described the Eastern Corridor Fiber Optic Project as the backbone of Ghana’s digitization strategy.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Once upon a time... preserving folk tales in Benin
- South Africa inquiry into top-level state graft opens
- 'Blast fishing' thrives in Libya's chaos
- Cairo looks to curb street sheep slaughter for Eid holiday
- Politics: Two people have died after another strong earthquake ripped through the Indonesian island of Lombok
- Politics: Photos show the destruction from flooding in the Indian state of Kerala, killing at least 350 people
- Politician Attacked By Thugs, Left With Broken Head (Photos)
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- 5 Ways To Know If You Are Dehydrated
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- University Of Education Winneba To Admit More FREE SHS Beneficiaries In 2020
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, August 20, 2018
- Re: Mahama's boys bought V8, Built Mansions In 4 Years--Bagbin
- Bagbin Claims Mahama Boys Bought V8 And Built Mansions
- Christian Council Is Much Too Vocal For The Good Of Its Established Reputation
- Re-certification Of Customised Number Plates Set To Begin On 1st October
- Free SHS, Double-Track Are Boldest Initiatives Ever
- Ghana Government Likely To Ban Plastic Items
- Passion Air Ready For Domestic Flight Operations
- Police Critical For Successful Implementation Of ECOWAS Brown Card Scheme
- COPEC calls for national dialogue on 'sustained' fuel price increases
- Over a dozen banks yet to meet GHC400m minimum capital
- Passion Air joins domestic aviation industry
- Weekend Wrap: Review of big matches played in Europe over the weekend
- Music: Bulldog rates Iwan as best reggae/dancehall artiste in Ghana
- Sermon: Worship God, not your pastors – Otabil to ICGC members
- Profile: Jorginho, Chelsea's new midfield maestro
- Politics: Shots were reportedly fired at the US embassy in Turkey
- Poor Governance: Mahama’s boys grabbed V8, mansions in 4 years – Alban Bagbin
- Trolls: The look on Man United’s Vice-Chairman, Ed Woodward's face during their humiliating defeat to Brighton
- #MourinhoOut: Man United fan starts GoFundMe to raise £12 million for Jose Mourinho sacking
- Nursing Mother, Baby Drown As Lagos Officials Chase Residents
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Kwankwaso Not Welcome In Kano - Governor Ganduje
- Dancing Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Saraki Fires Back: Buhari Presidency Lacks Foresight, Too Slow