Salah Abdeslam, the sole surviving suspect from the 2015 Paris attacks, has been jailed for 20 years in Belgium over a gunfight that led to his arrest.
Abdeslam, 28, and co-defendant Sofien Ayari were both convicted of terror-related charges of attempted murder.
Ayari, 24, was also given a 20-year sentence. Both fired on officers who raided a flat in Brussels in 2016.
He is being held in a jail in France and is due to face trial there over the Paris attacks themselves.
He had refused to answer questions from the judge in the trial in Brussels, and eventually refused to attend the hearings.
Neither he nor Ayari, 24, was in court as the verdict was read out on Monday. Both received the maximum 20-year term requested by prosecutors.
The judge said that “there can be no doubt” about the two men’s involvement with “radicalism”.
What happened during the shootout and its aftermath?
On 15 March 2016, Belgian police hunting Abdeslam carried out a raid in the Forest area of Brussels.
They targeted a flat believing that the suspect – who by then had been on the run for four month – had been there.
When they moved in they exchanged fire with the three occupants. One of the three was killed and three officers wounded.
Abdeslam and Ayari managed to escape, but Abdeslam’s fingerprints were found in the flat, confirming his presence there.
He was picked up days later in a raid in the nearby Molenbeek area, and later transferred to France.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Democracy Should Work For The People
- Audit Service Chair Should Resign
- AGI Applauds Decision To Implement CTN Without Charges
- Luv FM High School Debate Lines Up Prempeh College vs Armed Forces; YAGSS vs KUGISS
- KMA Committee To Validate Shop Owners At Kejetia
- Standards And Poor's Global Lauds Ghana's Monetary Policy
- Boxing: Canelo beats GGG on points to win WBC and WBA middleweight titles
- Horrific: Blind woman raped, impregnated, left with HIV
- Politics: How a no-deal Brexit could cripple Britain
- Economic Outlook: S&P raises Ghana's credit ratings to B with stable outlook
- Loaded Fuel Tanker Falls In Lagos, Emergency Officials Rescue The Situation (Photos)
- Akpabio and APC Leaders Attend Prayers For Buhari (Photo)
- ‘I Called Them Before I Have S*x With My Wife’ — Man Hypnotised By Scammers
- APC Lawmaker Caught Bathing In Market Ahead Of Osun Election
- 2019: PDP Strong Presidential Aspirants and Their Chances
- Flood Destroys 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless
- Nigeria Ranks Among Least Performing Economies
- Journalist Becomes First Female LG Boss In Anambra
- Presidency attacks HSBC over report on Buhari poor leadership
- Government Should Drastically Deal With BOST Oil Issues
- Free SHS And Double Track System Crucial
- Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge sets new marathon world record
- Akufo-Addo Claims Collapsed Banks Minimised Job Losses
- We Cannot Send People's Children To Private Schools
- I'm Not Responsible For Stacy's Death--Obengfo Doctor
- Collapse Of Banks Costs Taxpayers GHC12.7 Billion
- Atukwei Is Still Here With Us
- Kantanka’s Engine Display on Company’s Website Is Perfectly Savvy, Here’s Why
- The Development Of HIV Out Of The Virus Infectious Anemia Of Horses
- Chiefs applaud President for solid performance
- Forestry Commission destroys 8 hectors of food crops at Desiri
- Twenty sex workers arrested as MCE clamps down on brothels
- Asiedu Nketia forcibly seized microphone from National Chairman - Allotey Jacobs
- Fitness: This 20 minute cardio circuit lets you ditch the treadmill
- Girl Smarts: 14 ways you can help if you think a loved one is suicidal
- Politics: China is repressing an ethnic Muslim minority on an unprecedented scale — here are their excuses for imprisoning people
- Horror: Student stabs teacher to death
- Photos: Man arrested for stealing MPs’ toilet roll at Parliament House