Salah Abdeslam, the sole surviving suspect from the 2015 Paris attacks, has been jailed for 20 years in Belgium over a gunfight that led to his arrest.
Abdeslam, 28, and co-defendant Sofien Ayari were both convicted of terror-related charges of attempted murder.
Ayari, 24, was also given a 20-year sentence. Both fired on officers who raided a flat in Brussels in 2016.
He is being held in a jail in France and is due to face trial there over the Paris attacks themselves.
He had refused to answer questions from the judge in the trial in Brussels, and eventually refused to attend the hearings.
Neither he nor Ayari, 24, was in court as the verdict was read out on Monday. Both received the maximum 20-year term requested by prosecutors.
The judge said that “there can be no doubt” about the two men’s involvement with “radicalism”.
What happened during the shootout and its aftermath?
On 15 March 2016, Belgian police hunting Abdeslam carried out a raid in the Forest area of Brussels.
They targeted a flat believing that the suspect – who by then had been on the run for four month – had been there.
When they moved in they exchanged fire with the three occupants. One of the three was killed and three officers wounded.
Abdeslam and Ayari managed to escape, but Abdeslam’s fingerprints were found in the flat, confirming his presence there.
He was picked up days later in a raid in the nearby Molenbeek area, and later transferred to France.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Protest In Senate Over Buhari’s Withdrawal of $496m Without Approval
- 26 Pharmacy Students Of KNUST For FAMU 2018 In Florida
- Multimedia Intensifies Justice Campaign For Latif Iddrisu
- Proposal To Elect MMDCEs Was Not Well Thought Out
- Weija Leprosarium Receives Support From GCB Staff
- Finance: 'There is no time to lose:' Deutsche Bank is embarking on a major overhaul — and it will lead to big job losses
- TRAGIC! Man Who Survived Helicopter Crash Gets Sliced To Death During Rescue By Another Chopper
- Dear Buhari, what if the youths are lazy and entitled?
- Subsidy increasing as rising oil price pushes petrol landing cost higher
- Prisoner Or Patient? The Fate Of Ghana’s Mentally Ill Offender
- Bugri Naabu In Critical Condition After An Accident, Airlifted To Accra For Medical Treatment
- Mr. President, Why This Unfair Treatment?
- BOG’s Bitter Yet Necessary Pills
- My Birthday Wishes And Prayers As A Police Officer
- Woman Kills Daughter At Korle-Gonno
- 8th Pre-Harvest Agribusiness Conference And Exhibition Launched
- 2 Nigerien Robbers Arrested At Weija
- Murder Of Journalist Couple In Bangladesh!
- Peace Council Indicts NDC
- Former Asante Kotoko PRO Taunts Hearts of Oak Ahead Of Sunday's Super Clash
- BREAKING NEWS... George Afriyie To Lose Position At CAF
- Zylofon Media Sponsorship Deal Will Benefit All Ghanaian Football Fan - Sannie Daara
- Hearts of Oak Supporters Chief In Ashanti Region Assures Team Of Safety Ahead Of Kotoko Clash
- At Argentina Football Club, Maradona Is God, Messi Is Adam
- Kasapreko, Two Others To Sponsor Beach Soccer Unity Cup
- Ashie's Opponent, Arrives For WBO Africa Clash On Friday
- Kofi Boakye Declares Interest In Contesting Cycling Presidency
- Sports Ministry To Take On Some Of YEA Sports Programme Recruits
- World Cup Boost For Egypt And Mohamed Elneny
- We have not sponsored anyone - Dan Botwe
- No turning back on banking reforms – Central Bank
- Businesses must realign to changing payment landscape – GhIPSS
- Jordan Ayew enjoying life at Swansea after Aston Villa nightmare
- Kumi Guitar: Highlife singer hospitalised
- Ghanaian Players Abroad: Patrick Twumasi bags brace for Astana
- Ekow Blankson: Ace actor apologise for calling new crop of actors as bunch of jokers
- Politics: Women have shared 8 ways they got over the insecurity of being cheated on — and some of the answers make a lot of sense
- Top Scorer: Jordan Ayew is a happy person at Swansea than he was at Aston Villa
- Photos: Bisa Kdei launches “Highlife Konnect” album in colourful African set-up
- Politics: A 28-year-old Instagram star and amateur stuntman has reportedly died in a motorcycle crash in New Zealand
- Anas Exposé: ECOWAS court places injunction against impeachment of 3 'corrupt' judges
- Homosexuality: Only God can deliver homosexuals - Lawyer Foh-Amoaning