The Ghana Football Association has been given the clearance to continue with the Premier League during the 2018 FIFA World Cup finals in Russia.
A directive from FIFA that all leagues must end before the commencement of World Cup on June 14 meant the Ghanaian topflight which made a late start would be suspended.
However, FIFA have granted the GFA a special dispensation to continue with its domestic programme during the global showpiece in order to be able to meet the Confederation of African Football’s (CAF) deadline for the registration of clubs and players who will qualify and take part in the 2019 CAF inter-club competitions.
The publication from the FIFA website read: ‘World soccer-governing body, FIFA has granted Ghana a special dispensation to continue with the Ghana Premier League and the Division One League during the Russia 2018 World Cup, which kicks off in June.
”Following the late kick off of the league, which has left the GFA far behind its calendar, the GFA requested FIFA to grant it a special dispensation to continue with it’s domestic programme during the world cup in order to be able to meet the Confederation of African Football’s (CAF) deadline for the registration of clubs and players who will qualify and take part in the 2019 CAF inter-club competitions.
”FIFA has no issue with the Ghanaian leagues continuing to play as long as players selected on the release lists of Participating Member Associations taking part in the 2018 FIFA World Cup are released to their federations as of 21 May 2018”, stated the FIFA letter which was signed by Deputy Secretary-General, Zvonimir Boban.
Ghana failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 2006.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- National Labour Commission Seeking Clearance To Charge Clients For Services
- Societe General To Meet Minimum Capital By September
- Professorial Research Chair In Petroleum Engineering To Be Established At KNUST
- Migrants taking Niger route to Europe falls 95%, says EU
- Antonio Conte Issues Statement Thanking Chelsea
- Nigeria to bring back stranded football fans from Russia
- Mandela's 'long walk to freedom' has just begun: widow
- Beauty Tips: How to get rid of stretch marks with aloe vera
- Augustin Dennis: DKB doesn't know enough about comedy to teach me how to write jokes - comedian
- World Cup 2018: France receive Hero's welcome after World Cup glory
- Ga Rural Bank records 66.22 per cent profit
- Court grants bail to car dealer
- Wobbling Ghana Cedi affects prices of grains in Wa
- Driver’s Mate jailed ten years for defilement
- Teacher remanded over countless sex with JHS leaver
- Africa’s economic growth fails to create jobs – report
- Gushegu communities stop open defecation
- Female teacher trainee performance increases
- BMW Club, auto community hold blood donation exercise
- Amponsah proposes refined league structure for Ghana football
- Villagers kill 300 CROCODILES in revenge over 1 crocodile killing a farmer
- ‘Ask a sensible question’- Kuami Eugene blasts Twitter fan who asked about his dressing
- Reekado Banks – Pull Up
- 7 Years Down The Line: Any Lessons From Gaddafi’s Demise For Africa Leaders?
- B/A: Tano North NDC Swears In New Executives
- 'Ghana's Economy In Crisis' - Minority
- Ghana Finance Week Slated For August 2018
- Professor Atukwei Okine Was A Literary Giant - And Foremost Pan-Africanist
- #EkitiDecides2018: My Takeaways
- A Reputation Worth Its Weight in Gold
- Bantama Traders Cry Over Imminent Collapse Of Their Businesses
- WordDigest: When Things Turned Around (62) Say No To Idols
- Ekiti: Between Oshiomhole And Secondus
- BOMBSHELL: BBC Delivers Humiliating Blow To Anas, Broadcaster Denies Role
- Maurizio Sarri: Chelsea Manager Would 'Give All His Possessions To Win' With New Club
- Alexis Sanchez: Man Utd Striker Misses Start Of US Tour Because Of Visa Issue
- Nana Ampomah Rescues Waasland-Beveren From Defeat Against Beerschot Wilrijk
- 2018 World Cup: The Good, Bad And Ugly From The World Cup In Russia
- Players My Age Usually Go To Qatar Or China - Ronaldo
- 2018 CAF CONFED. CUP: Aduana Stars Forward Bright Adjei Confident Ahead Of AS Vita Clash
- Black Princesses Team Visit Injured Striker Priscilla Adubea
- Kwadwo Asamoah Will Retire At Inter Milan - Agent