Three police officers stationed at the Weija District Police Command have been arrested by the Anti Robbery Squad for allegedly hiring out their assigned AK47 rifles to armed robbers.
A source close to the police said two of the police officers stationed at Kokrobite and another stationed at the Weija District Police Command allegedly hired the guns to the robbers over the weekend.
According to the source, after the officers handed over the guns to the robbers, who had planned to go for an operation on Saturday evening, they were involved in an accident.
An ex-police officer who did not know the accident victims were robbers took them to the hospital for treatment. On the way to the hospital, he overheard the armed robbers saying they had left their guns behind.
The armed robbers were scared the police officers who allegedly hired them the guns will be in trouble. This prompted the ex-police officer to alert the police command to look into the issue.
The police questioned the armed robbers who disclosed that indeed some officers had given out the guns for their operations.
The source claims the police officers were asked and they confirmed that the guns in question were theirs.
The full names of the suspects have not been made public but the source said two of them are referred to as Biggie and Stanley.
Weija District Police Commander, DSP Joseph Afuakpah told Adom News’ Kofi Adjei that the incident was a big blow to them but said he wasn’t in the position to further speak on the matter.
He said the case is being handled by the Anti-Robbery Unit of the Ghana Police Service.
DSP Joseph Afuakpah added that the three police officers have been handed over to the Regional Police Command for further investigations.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Protest In Senate Over Buhari’s Withdrawal of $496m Without Approval
- 26 Pharmacy Students Of KNUST For FAMU 2018 In Florida
- Multimedia Intensifies Justice Campaign For Latif Iddrisu
- Proposal To Elect MMDCEs Was Not Well Thought Out
- Weija Leprosarium Receives Support From GCB Staff
- Ghana's Debt Reported To Hit Distressed Levels 3 Years Running
- Journalist Assaulted At NPP Greater Accra Elections Fights Back
- Finance: 'There is no time to lose:' Deutsche Bank is embarking on a major overhaul — and it will lead to big job losses
- Opposition Party: NDC accused of printing NPP T-Shirts for propaganda
- TRAGIC! Man Who Survived Helicopter Crash Gets Sliced To Death During Rescue By Another Chopper
- Dear Buhari, what if the youths are lazy and entitled?
- Subsidy increasing as rising oil price pushes petrol landing cost higher
- Prisoner Or Patient? The Fate Of Ghana’s Mentally Ill Offender
- Bugri Naabu In Critical Condition After An Accident, Airlifted To Accra For Medical Treatment
- Mr. President, Why This Unfair Treatment?
- BOG’s Bitter Yet Necessary Pills
- My Birthday Wishes And Prayers As A Police Officer
- Woman Kills Daughter At Korle-Gonno
- 8th Pre-Harvest Agribusiness Conference And Exhibition Launched
- 2 Nigerien Robbers Arrested At Weija
- Murder Of Journalist Couple In Bangladesh!
- Peace Council Indicts NDC
- Former Asante Kotoko PRO Taunts Hearts of Oak Ahead Of Sunday's Super Clash
- BREAKING NEWS... George Afriyie To Lose Position At CAF
- Zylofon Media Sponsorship Deal Will Benefit All Ghanaian Football Fan - Sannie Daara
- Hearts of Oak Supporters Chief In Ashanti Region Assures Team Of Safety Ahead Of Kotoko Clash
- At Argentina Football Club, Maradona Is God, Messi Is Adam
- Kasapreko, Two Others To Sponsor Beach Soccer Unity Cup
- Ashie's Opponent, Arrives For WBO Africa Clash On Friday
- Kofi Boakye Declares Interest In Contesting Cycling Presidency
- Sports Ministry To Take On Some Of YEA Sports Programme Recruits
- World Cup Boost For Egypt And Mohamed Elneny
- We have not sponsored anyone - Dan Botwe
- No turning back on banking reforms – Central Bank
- Businesses must realign to changing payment landscape – GhIPSS
- Jordan Ayew enjoying life at Swansea after Aston Villa nightmare
- Wake up – Rawlings tells African leaders
- Cargill sees balanced cocoa market, growth in local processing
- Mallam Junction road to be closed April 30
- Kumi Guitar: Highlife singer hospitalised
- Ghanaian Players Abroad: Patrick Twumasi bags brace for Astana
- Ekow Blankson: Ace actor apologise for calling new crop of actors as bunch of jokers