Three police officers stationed at the Weija District Police Command have been arrested by the Anti Robbery Squad for allegedly hiring out their assigned AK47 rifles to armed robbers.
A source close to the police said two of the police officers stationed at Kokrobite and another stationed at the Weija District Police Command allegedly hired the guns to the robbers over the weekend.
According to the source, after the officers handed over the guns to the robbers, who had planned to go for an operation on Saturday evening, they were involved in an accident.
An ex-police officer who did not know the accident victims were robbers took them to the hospital for treatment. On the way to the hospital, he overheard the armed robbers saying they had left their guns behind.
The armed robbers were scared the police officers who allegedly hired them the guns will be in trouble. This prompted the ex-police officer to alert the police command to look into the issue.
The police questioned the armed robbers who disclosed that indeed some officers had given out the guns for their operations.
The source claims the police officers were asked and they confirmed that the guns in question were theirs.
The full names of the suspects have not been made public but the source said two of them are referred to as Biggie and Stanley.
Weija District Police Commander, DSP Joseph Afuakpah told Adom News’ Kofi Adjei that the incident was a big blow to them but said he wasn’t in the position to further speak on the matter.
He said the case is being handled by the Anti-Robbery Unit of the Ghana Police Service.
DSP Joseph Afuakpah added that the three police officers have been handed over to the Regional Police Command for further investigations.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- National Labour Commission Seeking Clearance To Charge Clients For Services
- Societe General To Meet Minimum Capital By September
- Professorial Research Chair In Petroleum Engineering To Be Established At KNUST
- Migrants taking Niger route to Europe falls 95%, says EU
- Antonio Conte Issues Statement Thanking Chelsea
- Nigeria to bring back stranded football fans from Russia
- Mandela's 'long walk to freedom' has just begun: widow
- Beauty Tips: How to get rid of stretch marks with aloe vera
- Augustin Dennis: DKB doesn't know enough about comedy to teach me how to write jokes - comedian
- World Cup 2018: France receive Hero's welcome after World Cup glory
- Ga Rural Bank records 66.22 per cent profit
- Court grants bail to car dealer
- Wobbling Ghana Cedi affects prices of grains in Wa
- Driver’s Mate jailed ten years for defilement
- Teacher remanded over countless sex with JHS leaver
- Africa’s economic growth fails to create jobs – report
- Gushegu communities stop open defecation
- Female teacher trainee performance increases
- BMW Club, auto community hold blood donation exercise
- Amponsah proposes refined league structure for Ghana football
- Villagers kill 300 CROCODILES in revenge over 1 crocodile killing a farmer
- ‘Ask a sensible question’- Kuami Eugene blasts Twitter fan who asked about his dressing
- Reekado Banks – Pull Up
- 7 Years Down The Line: Any Lessons From Gaddafi’s Demise For Africa Leaders?
- B/A: Tano North NDC Swears In New Executives
- 'Ghana's Economy In Crisis' - Minority
- Ghana Finance Week Slated For August 2018
- Professor Atukwei Okine Was A Literary Giant - And Foremost Pan-Africanist
- #EkitiDecides2018: My Takeaways
- A Reputation Worth Its Weight in Gold
- Bantama Traders Cry Over Imminent Collapse Of Their Businesses
- WordDigest: When Things Turned Around (62) Say No To Idols
- Ekiti: Between Oshiomhole And Secondus
- BOMBSHELL: BBC Delivers Humiliating Blow To Anas, Broadcaster Denies Role
- Maurizio Sarri: Chelsea Manager Would 'Give All His Possessions To Win' With New Club
- Alexis Sanchez: Man Utd Striker Misses Start Of US Tour Because Of Visa Issue
- Nana Ampomah Rescues Waasland-Beveren From Defeat Against Beerschot Wilrijk
- 2018 World Cup: The Good, Bad And Ugly From The World Cup In Russia
- Players My Age Usually Go To Qatar Or China - Ronaldo
- 2018 CAF CONFED. CUP: Aduana Stars Forward Bright Adjei Confident Ahead Of AS Vita Clash
- Black Princesses Team Visit Injured Striker Priscilla Adubea
- Kwadwo Asamoah Will Retire At Inter Milan - Agent