Former President of the Republic of Cape Verde, Pedro Verona Rodrigues Pires has backed calls for age limits of persons who wish to contest for the presidency on the continent.
He said presidential aspirants beyond a certain age limit must not only be truthful but must do an introspection of themselves and tell if they are capable or not to lead.
He also called for a clean health certificate for aspirants who want to lead, adding that future presidents must not spend all their meagre resources of their countries on medical bills.
Addressing a press conference in Tamale ahead of the annual African Leadership Lecture series, organized by the University for Development Studies (UDS) Mr. Rodrigues Pires said even though the health of people sometimes does not depend on their age, younger people are generally believed to be healthier.
Mr Rodrigue Pires said his generation fought for the liberation of Africa and questioned what the current generation of leaders is fighting for.
He called on African leaders to continue the fight against corruption, mismanagement among others in order to leave a legacy for posterity.
He said the only way this can be achieved is to ensure that institutions work.
Mr Rodrigue Pires called for a paradigm shift from what he referred to as the ‘me’ syndrome in Africa to the ‘us’ syndrome, adding, it is only when that is done that the continent would see some meaningful development.
The Vice Chancellor of the University for Development Studies (UDS), Professor Gabriel AyumTeye who spoke to the media after the press conference said the university intends to establish a training center for Africa leadership to train the youth on leadership skills.
He said the objective is to train the youth so that when they move into public positions in the future they don’t make same mistakes that past presidents made.
Prof Teye said they would build a patriotic spirit in these upcoming leaders who would see the development of their nations as the right way to go instead of developing themselves through corrupt means.
He said the leadership series has marketed the UDS on the international front.
Prof Teye added that through the lecture series they have had the opportunity to collaborate with other universities outside the country.
The three-day lecture which begins today will be on the topics; “A vision of the struggle for liberation from colonialism,” a vision of the construction of sovereign states and African challenge to be delivered by former president Rodrigue Pires.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- Premium Passport Application Center Set Up To Enable Ghanaians Acquire Passports In A Short Period
- Check history..stop talk (Shatta Wale) Don't study English and History. Study what makes money.
- Christmas Celebration In Ethiopia
- Why Claw Back NAM1 Personal Assets- Gained From Investors Deposits?
- South African Doctor To Build Hospital For Her Rural Folks
- ALJA National President Honored In US
- Breast Care International fetes Kumasi Children’s Home
- The Race To Represent NPP In Parliament: Who Is Who In The Tolon Constituency?
- Sudan president vows reform after deadly protests
- President Akufo-Addo says he's looking forward to 2019 with a "sense of hope and optimism"
- Nigerian billionaire, Femi Otedola, joins Dangote in the refining business
- National Cathedral: Public Concerns Will Be Address – Duncan Williams
- Gov't Has The Power To Confiscate Assets Of Menzgold - Ato Forson
- Two Ghanaians Wants Injunction Placed On Referendum For New Regions
- Electoral Commission Sets January 31, 2019 For Ayawaso West Wuogon Bye-Election
- Ghana Revenue Authority To Auction Forfeited Cars And Goods Dec 27 To Mop-Up Revenue
- Don't study English and History. Study what makes money. That's why Nkrumah's dream is not reality
- Stephen Appiah Gets Special Birthday Message From Juventus
- Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey clarifies 'unhappy' comments
- Liquidate assets of Menzgold to pay customers – Charles Mensah
- Mistletoe is actually a tree-killing parasite — here's how it became a Christmas icon
- Signs of better and brighter tomorrow very clear- Akufo-Addo says in Christmas message
- ‘I invest Ghc760,000 all lock inside, if President Akufo-Addo no speak we go die’ – Menzgold customer
- Implement UN conventions on refugee status - Sam George
- Christian Atsu is weakest link in Newcastle United shirt - Fans rating
- Why red and green are the colors of Christmas
- EC sets Januay 31, 2019 for Ayawaso West by-election
- Christmas Greetings To You All
- Obasanjo: It's Our Responsibility To Work For Peace In Nigeria
- Shock As Nigerian Man Dies 3 Weeks To His Wedding
- Musician Continue To Play His Guitar As Doctors Operate On His Brain (Photo)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- We Need Money To Celebrate Christmas - Lagos Bank Robbers
- Late Alex Badeh's Killers Release His Kidnapped Friend
- Powerful trio cast a shadow over Congo poll
- BRING IT ON!: Kotoko-Sharks Proves Ghanaians Are Ready For Regular Football
- Stephen Appiah Receives Condolence From Fenerbahce After Losing Mum
- Christmas: Let us pay attention to the next good – Rev Opuni-Frimpong
- Christians celebrate Christmas today
- Ghanaians ‘have everything to celebrate’ this Christmas – NPP