The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has directed all member nations to carry out magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) tests on their players ahead of 2019 U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers.
The MRIs are used to determine the ages of the teenagers, who must be under 17 to train ahead of the qualifiers, to avoid instances of possible age cheating. It’s been used by FIFA since 2003 to ensure players are eligible, by scanning the bones in their wrists.
Nick Mwendwa, president of Football Kenya Federation (FKF) told KweséESPN on Tuesday that CAF has said it is compulsory to carry out the MRI tests.
“Yes, it is true we have all been asked to have the young players undergo the MRI tests. I think it is a good move so that we do away with cries of age cheating,” said Mwendwa.
Ahmed Hussein, the Uganda FA communications manager also confirmed to KweséESPN that his country’s teens will undergo testing ahead of the tournament in Tanzania in August.
“We shall conduct the MRI tests on all the 31 players summoned, starting on July 10 to July 15th,” he said.
“The tests will be conducted to ascertain the true age of players because it is one of the requirements by CAF.”
Hussain added that although doing the MRI tests is an expensive venture, it is worth it to avoid problems in the future.
Both Kenya and Uganda will battle in the regional qualifiers (central East Zone) slated for August 11-26 in Dar es Salaam. The qualifiers will feature Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, South Sudan and Djibouti.
Only one team will advance from the qualifiers to join the other teams from other regions for the 2019 AFCON U-17, slated for May 12-26th in Tanzania.
Apart from the hosts, each of the six zones will receive one spot in the final tournament, and the zone of the defending champions will receive an additional spot. Since Mali won the 2017 event, West Africa Zone will receive two spots.
The top three teams at the 2019 tournament will qualify for FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru next year.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Ghana not dealing with sexual abuse correctly - Group
- In Katanga, fans want their 'Moses' home to battle Joseph
- Environment the loser in Gabon capital's rush for growth
- DSS Nabs Two Suspected ISIS Leaders In Abuja
- Policeman Fights An Okada Man In Lagos Over N200 Bribe?
- Amazing Benefits of Wearing Deodorants
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NSMQ 2018: Mawuli School Breaks BIHECO Hearts
- NPP MP Proposes Dialogue Over US-Ghana Visa Restriction
- Ghanaian Seeking Treatment In The UK Denied Visa By UK Government
- Stubborn Hawkers Frustrate AMA Evacuation
- Government Meeting With FIFA Over Anas Video Postponed Indefinitely
- Minority Go Crazy Over $259 Million Tax Waiver For Anglogold Ashanti
- John Kumah Makes Strong Case For One District, One Factory
- Ghana To Get Aerotropolis In Ningo-Prampram
- Kosmos Energy Partners Multimedia Group
- AMA Decongestion Running Out Of Steam
- Weather conditions derailing progress of work at Accra Sports Stadium - Report
- LIVESTREAMING: Badwam on Adom TV
- Speaker registers for new national ID
- Young girl recounts ordeal she went through in the room of a fake pastor
- There's no pride in virginity - Vicky Hammah
- US Commerce secretary visits Ghana, Kenya
- Vicky Hammah narrates how she was drugged; nearly raped
- NPP to sanction Gabby over false Buabeng Asamoah appointment
- George Mensah Okley takes over as new BOST boss
- Akufo-Addo is the only man committed to developing Zongo communities - Akakpo
- Exim Bank explores the natural endowments of the North
- I'm worried for 'Dondon's' safety - Suhuyini
- Batidam quits AU anti-graft board over ‘corruption, abuse of power’
- World Cup 2018: Female reporter 'sexually' harassed whiles covering World Cup
- Internal Politics: NDC owes Rawlings no apology; we’ve done nothing wrong – Asiedu Nketia
- Woman Binds Her Son, Puts Him In Car and Sets It On Fire
- Photo Of Maradona Crying After Argentina Lost 3-0 To Croatia
- Lagos Doctor Orders Nurse To Kneel Down, Flogs Her
- Driver steals N10m goods, arrested while praying for forgiveness
- Angry Nigerians Reacts To Senators, Reps 2018 Budget Padding
- Are NPP Settling For The End Justifies The Means?
- Daniel Asiedu’s “Confession” Is A Crock Of Muck
- Report Reveals Small Pelagic Fish Depleting
- Zylofon CEO Nana Appiah Mensah Supports Chief Imam Education Fund With GHC1 Million
- Visual Arts Should Be Renamed To Appropriately Reflect Content