The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has directed all member nations to carry out magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) tests on their players ahead of 2019 U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers.
The MRIs are used to determine the ages of the teenagers, who must be under 17 to train ahead of the qualifiers, to avoid instances of possible age cheating. It’s been used by FIFA since 2003 to ensure players are eligible, by scanning the bones in their wrists.
Nick Mwendwa, president of Football Kenya Federation (FKF) told KweséESPN on Tuesday that CAF has said it is compulsory to carry out the MRI tests.
“Yes, it is true we have all been asked to have the young players undergo the MRI tests. I think it is a good move so that we do away with cries of age cheating,” said Mwendwa.
Ahmed Hussein, the Uganda FA communications manager also confirmed to KweséESPN that his country’s teens will undergo testing ahead of the tournament in Tanzania in August.
“We shall conduct the MRI tests on all the 31 players summoned, starting on July 10 to July 15th,” he said.
“The tests will be conducted to ascertain the true age of players because it is one of the requirements by CAF.”
Hussain added that although doing the MRI tests is an expensive venture, it is worth it to avoid problems in the future.
Both Kenya and Uganda will battle in the regional qualifiers (central East Zone) slated for August 11-26 in Dar es Salaam. The qualifiers will feature Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, South Sudan and Djibouti.
Only one team will advance from the qualifiers to join the other teams from other regions for the 2019 AFCON U-17, slated for May 12-26th in Tanzania.
Apart from the hosts, each of the six zones will receive one spot in the final tournament, and the zone of the defending champions will receive an additional spot. Since Mali won the 2017 event, West Africa Zone will receive two spots.
The top three teams at the 2019 tournament will qualify for FIFA U-17 World Cup in Peru next year.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Turning The Tragedy Of Africa Into Prosperity; The Role Of Good Leadership
- REGSEC Initiates Moves To Broker Peace In Japekrom And Drobo
- EPA To Release Full Report On Mass Tilapia Deaths
- Fuel Prices Increase By 2.74% At Major Fuel Stations
- Kelni GVG: IMANI Denies been Bribed
- Double-Track Implementation: SHS Teachers Angry Over Neglect
- Dead Asutsuare Tilapia Not GMOs
- West Hills Mall's Old School Challenge Warms Up with Big Fitness Walk
- Eastern NDC Declares Support For Bagbin
- IAC Grabs Top International Awards
- Evans Mensah Makes Injury Return For HJK Helsinki In Win Over SJK
- CAL Bank Rounds Up Its 2018 Open Golf Championship
- Kwadwom Asamoah Hails Inter Teammates After Milan Derby Win
- Performance Of Ghanaian Players Abroad Wrap Up
- APO: Only a day to the 7th Remittance & Payment Expo, Lagos – Nigeria!
- 'I’m only projecting my heritage' – Ben Brako replies critics on half-naked photo
- Ekweremadu On His Way Out Of PDP Because Of Peter Obi?
- El-rufai Visits Survivors Of Kaduna Violence In Hospitals (Pics)
- Banky W: "I Am Battling Serious Food Poisoning"
- Amaechi Spotted Praying Seriously At Redeemed Church
- Tania Omotayo Weds Co-Restaurant Owner in Lagos (Photos)
- Oshiomhole In Trouble? Angry APC Governors Heading To Abuja To Sack Him
- 19yrs Old Girl Buys 2 Cars For Her Parents (Photos)
- Popular King's Son Graduates As Overall Best At NDA (Pics)
- Nana Addo’s 2yrs Far Better Than NDC’s 8yrs - NPP
- KNUST Students Protest Against ‘Brutalities’
- TOR Resumes Operations Next Week
- BoG Not Issuing Gh¢100 Note
- “My Salary Has Not Increased But Fuel Prices Keep Going Up" - Driver On Latest Hike In Fuel Prices
- Teenage Pregnancy: How A Daughter's Growing Belly Earns Her A Mother's Growling Slap
- What A Shock! Ghost Writes A Letter To Husband Who Butchered Her
- Traditional Leaders Should Emulate Late James Town Mantse
- GITAC Paves Way For Deepened Ghana-India Trading
- China Man Who Allegedly Killed 2 Other Chinese Declared Wanted
- Bashir Hayford To Strategize And Prepare Queens For AWCON 2018
- Daniel Kyeremeh Bags Hat-Trick As SV Wehen Thump Karlsruher
- Sean Adarkwa Nets Debut Goal For West Ham U-23 Against Swansea City U-23
- Former FC Ifeanyi Ubah Coach Yaw Preko Claims Some Clubs In Nigeria Want Him
- Stephen Appiah Optimistic Of Black Queens Hosting And Winning 2018 AWCON
- Godfred Donsah Makes Return From Injury To Warm Bench For Bologna In Draw With Torino
- Powers Throws Challenge To Bastie Samir, Gbese Bruno
- Ghana FA Offices To Open On Monday