Suntreso Government Hospital in the Ashanti Region, where a pregnant woman lost her life and that of her baby, has initiated an investigation into the incident amid allegations that a doctor demanded a bribe to care for the woman.
Medical Superintendent at the hospital, Dr. Agyarko Poku, has promised management of the health facility that it will apply the appropriate steps to probe the situation.
Angela Afriyie Agyemang’s husband, Solomon Lamo Latiff, is alleging that the fatal incident on Thursday occurred because the doctor in charge delayed a scheduled caesarean section and forced him to pay a “doctor motivation fee” of GH¢500.
Mr. Latiff, a pastor, has vowed to seek redress in court.
However, speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show on Wednesday, Dr. Poku said that although the doctor’s account of the event is markedly different from the allegations by the bereaved husband, the hospital is determined to unearth the truth.
He said a preliminary investigation is underway and mentioned that because the woman’s labour was not progressing, a caesarean section was recommended. But due to the number of cases the hospital was dealing with at the time, the C-section delayed.
“It’s a loss of life and we deem it as a very serious issue and we are going to go through all the administrative processes to investigative it,” he said, adding the length of time it took the doctor to attend to the woman will be a scrutinised.
“We need to take our time, go through everything. This is not an issue to be [discussed] on the radio,” he told the Super Morning Show.
He said a mortality audit will be soon be compiled and “an independent body, outside the [hospital], will also come in.”
Bereaved husband’s account
Meanwhile, online portals quote Mr. Latiff as saying during an interview on the radio:
“Thursday I was there, so while I was there, he [the doctor] told me how much I’m going to pay for somethings that the health insurance will not cover…so I said ok. Then he asked how much I was going to give to them. In fact, I understood what he said but I was not so much convinced that that’s what he actually meant.”
“So I asked, what is it? And he said motivation. So I asked him, how much do you take and he said GH¢500. He told me this personally. If I knew this is what was going to happen I would have recorded him …I sat there for about an hour, I didn’t see anything and after some hours I didn’t see anything. By then, my wife had been made to sit inside of the theatre. So after about 3 hours I went to the theatre and asked of what was going on and they told me they were doing some cleaning,” he narrated.
“So it was after I went to the doctor’s office to call him then he came and immediately he entered the theatre, he put my wife in there. He called me and marched me into the theatre and I went there and saw the lifeless body of my wife. I’m not going to end it here. I have decided that after everything is done, I’ll take the matter up. I intend to sue the doctor.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Chief Imam In London
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Ghana needs professional Police to ensure peace - Mrs Sackey
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- The Corruption Of The Anc Predates Codesa – Never Mind Jacob Zuma’s Presidency
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Kasena-Nankana West District Assembly to prosecute households without toilet facilities
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Statement Of Appreciation From NPP BA Regional Youth
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- Ninety (90) Years Of Education In The East Gonja Municipality (Salaga): The Journey So Far
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Ghana Needs Professional Policing for Peace
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Assembly To Institute Scholarship Scheme To Deal With Low Level Of Education
- Madagascar battles killer measles outbreak
- Kumasi: Police Arrest Fake ‘BNI’ Officer
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary