The Roads Minister has assured the people of Volta region that, by the end of the first term of the Akufo-Addo regime the entire stretch of the Eastern Corridor Road would have been completed.
Kwasi Amoako Atta described the Eastern Corridor Road as being of great importance since it is the shortest route between the Southern sector and the Northern sector of the country.
Eastern Corridor Road is the linkage between 5 regions, i.e. Greater Accra, Eastern, Ashanti, Volta, and Upper East.
Mr Amoako Atta was speaking at Hohoe on Tuesday where he addressed Chiefs from South Dayi, North Dayi, Ho, Ho West, Kpando, Hohoe and Afadjato South, on day 2 of President Akufo-Addo’s 3-day tour of the Volta Region.
With seven different contractors having been awarded different contracts on different sections of the road, the Roads Minister noted that the Eastern Corridor road has had a chequered history.
He explained that COCOBOD is funding the Have – Hohoe Lots 1&2 (51.3km), and Hohoe – Jasikan (32km) stretches of the road. These sections have run into difficulties, as payments by COCOBOD have been suspended.
The section from Dodo Pepesu to Nkwanta was funded by an EU loan of a little over 320 million euros, which was worked on by Djibril Kanazoe, a renowned Burkinabe contractor.
“That Dodo Pepesu to Nkwanta road is in a very terrible, worse condition. The other sections, which are being worked on by other contractors, suffered delayed payments and were abandoned,” Amoako-Atta said.
He assured that the government is working very hard to work on the entire Eastern Corridor stretch to make it motorable.
“We have, therefore, packaged the areas that have never been done. We have put those areas under a facility called Sinohydro facility, and these areas cover the areas of Have to Hohoe and from Oti-Damanko to Gbinitri (168km). All the others are being repackaged, and arrangements are being made to send all the six contractors back to work,” he assured.
Mr Amoako Atta also assured the Chiefs and people of the Volta Region that “from now onwards, you are going to see and witness for yourselves, a renewed effort that will be sustained to work on the Eastern Corridor.”
He added, “It is the determination of the President, that by the end of the first term, the entire stretch of the Eastern Corridor will see the light of day, and I want to assure that it is receiving the attention of government.”
Additionally, the Roads Minister indicated that his Ministry is also working on many of the roads in the Volta Region, with roads in the Hohoe township also receiving particular attention.
“I am happy to inform you that, within the Hohoe area, five of your roads have been selected, and within the next 2 months, contractors are mobilising and will come to the site. Be assured that your roads are receiving the attention, just as any other roads in our country,” he added.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Ghana not dealing with sexual abuse correctly - Group
- In Katanga, fans want their 'Moses' home to battle Joseph
- Environment the loser in Gabon capital's rush for growth
- DSS Nabs Two Suspected ISIS Leaders In Abuja
- Policeman Fights An Okada Man In Lagos Over N200 Bribe?
- Amazing Benefits of Wearing Deodorants
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NSMQ 2018: Mawuli School Breaks BIHECO Hearts
- NPP MP Proposes Dialogue Over US-Ghana Visa Restriction
- Ghanaian Seeking Treatment In The UK Denied Visa By UK Government
- Stubborn Hawkers Frustrate AMA Evacuation
- Government Meeting With FIFA Over Anas Video Postponed Indefinitely
- Minority Go Crazy Over $259 Million Tax Waiver For Anglogold Ashanti
- John Kumah Makes Strong Case For One District, One Factory
- Ghana To Get Aerotropolis In Ningo-Prampram
- Kosmos Energy Partners Multimedia Group
- AMA Decongestion Running Out Of Steam
- Weather conditions derailing progress of work at Accra Sports Stadium - Report
- LIVESTREAMING: Badwam on Adom TV
- Speaker registers for new national ID
- Young girl recounts ordeal she went through in the room of a fake pastor
- There's no pride in virginity - Vicky Hammah
- US Commerce secretary visits Ghana, Kenya
- Vicky Hammah narrates how she was drugged; nearly raped
- NPP to sanction Gabby over false Buabeng Asamoah appointment
- George Mensah Okley takes over as new BOST boss
- Akufo-Addo is the only man committed to developing Zongo communities - Akakpo
- Exim Bank explores the natural endowments of the North
- I'm worried for 'Dondon's' safety - Suhuyini
- Batidam quits AU anti-graft board over ‘corruption, abuse of power’
- World Cup 2018: Female reporter 'sexually' harassed whiles covering World Cup
- Internal Politics: NDC owes Rawlings no apology; we’ve done nothing wrong – Asiedu Nketia
- Woman Binds Her Son, Puts Him In Car and Sets It On Fire
- Photo Of Maradona Crying After Argentina Lost 3-0 To Croatia
- Lagos Doctor Orders Nurse To Kneel Down, Flogs Her
- Driver steals N10m goods, arrested while praying for forgiveness
- Angry Nigerians Reacts To Senators, Reps 2018 Budget Padding
- Are NPP Settling For The End Justifies The Means?
- Daniel Asiedu’s “Confession” Is A Crock Of Muck
- Report Reveals Small Pelagic Fish Depleting
- Zylofon CEO Nana Appiah Mensah Supports Chief Imam Education Fund With GHC1 Million
- Visual Arts Should Be Renamed To Appropriately Reflect Content