The Roads Minister has assured the people of Volta region that, by the end of the first term of the Akufo-Addo regime the entire stretch of the Eastern Corridor Road would have been completed.
Kwasi Amoako Atta described the Eastern Corridor Road as being of great importance since it is the shortest route between the Southern sector and the Northern sector of the country.
Eastern Corridor Road is the linkage between 5 regions, i.e. Greater Accra, Eastern, Ashanti, Volta, and Upper East.
Mr Amoako Atta was speaking at Hohoe on Tuesday where he addressed Chiefs from South Dayi, North Dayi, Ho, Ho West, Kpando, Hohoe and Afadjato South, on day 2 of President Akufo-Addo’s 3-day tour of the Volta Region.
With seven different contractors having been awarded different contracts on different sections of the road, the Roads Minister noted that the Eastern Corridor road has had a chequered history.
He explained that COCOBOD is funding the Have – Hohoe Lots 1&2 (51.3km), and Hohoe – Jasikan (32km) stretches of the road. These sections have run into difficulties, as payments by COCOBOD have been suspended.
The section from Dodo Pepesu to Nkwanta was funded by an EU loan of a little over 320 million euros, which was worked on by Djibril Kanazoe, a renowned Burkinabe contractor.
“That Dodo Pepesu to Nkwanta road is in a very terrible, worse condition. The other sections, which are being worked on by other contractors, suffered delayed payments and were abandoned,” Amoako-Atta said.
He assured that the government is working very hard to work on the entire Eastern Corridor stretch to make it motorable.
“We have, therefore, packaged the areas that have never been done. We have put those areas under a facility called Sinohydro facility, and these areas cover the areas of Have to Hohoe and from Oti-Damanko to Gbinitri (168km). All the others are being repackaged, and arrangements are being made to send all the six contractors back to work,” he assured.
Mr Amoako Atta also assured the Chiefs and people of the Volta Region that “from now onwards, you are going to see and witness for yourselves, a renewed effort that will be sustained to work on the Eastern Corridor.”
He added, “It is the determination of the President, that by the end of the first term, the entire stretch of the Eastern Corridor will see the light of day, and I want to assure that it is receiving the attention of government.”
Additionally, the Roads Minister indicated that his Ministry is also working on many of the roads in the Volta Region, with roads in the Hohoe township also receiving particular attention.
“I am happy to inform you that, within the Hohoe area, five of your roads have been selected, and within the next 2 months, contractors are mobilising and will come to the site. Be assured that your roads are receiving the attention, just as any other roads in our country,” he added.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- CAF Confederation Cup: Race For Knockout Stage Heats Up
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- My ex-staff now hawks tiger nuts; it breaks my heart – UT’s Amoabeng
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Ghanaians descend heavily on Anas following Sannie Daara legal knockout in human rights suit
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Dr. Da Costa Applauds Gov’t over New Ambulances
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Ozil Ready To Frustrate Arsenal
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- Gen. Mosquito, Ofosu-Ampofo, Ponkoh, run for cover as NDC meeting turns bloody
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Chief Imam In London
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- These 5 fuel stations have decreased their fuel prices despite the weak performance of the Ghanaian cedi
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary
- Ghana needs professional Police to ensure peace - Mrs Sackey