A dismissed policeman, Akanmu Kabiru, has been sentenced to three years’ imprisonment by an Oyo State High Court for receiving bribe from an armed robbery suspect, Badmus Akojode.
The court also convicted two other policemen in absentia.
The convicted policemen – Tajudeen Olalere and Omotosho Lawrence – have been on the run since they jumped bail.
The ex-police officers were arraigned before Justice A. I. Akintola by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on four charges bordering on asking and receiving gratification from a suspect in the course of investigating a robbery case.
The ICPC told the court that the offences were committed in May 2007 when the police officers asked for and received the sum of N200,000 from Akojode in order to exonerate him from an armed robbery case they were investigating.
The commission also said the offences contravened sections 8 (1) (a), and 26 (1) (c) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000, and punishable under Section 8 (1)(b) of the same act.
The accused who had earlier pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them were found culpable by the court.
The judge subsequently sentenced Kabiru to three years’ imprisonment.
He also gave the order that those that had jumped bail should be found and made to face the music.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- National Cathedral: Public Concerns Will Be Address – Duncan Williams
- Mistletoe is actually a tree-killing parasite — here's how it became a Christmas icon
- ‘I invest Ghc760,000 all lock inside, if President Akufo-Addo no speak we go die’ – Menzgold customer
- Implement UN conventions on refugee status - Sam George
- Christian Atsu is weakest link in Newcastle United shirt - Fans rating
- Why red and green are the colors of Christmas
- EC sets Januay 31, 2019 for Ayawaso West by-election
- Christmas Greetings To You All
- Obasanjo: It's Our Responsibility To Work For Peace In Nigeria
- Shock As Nigerian Man Dies 3 Weeks To His Wedding
- Musician Continue To Play His Guitar As Doctors Operate On His Brain (Photo)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- We Need Money To Celebrate Christmas - Lagos Bank Robbers
- Late Alex Badeh's Killers Release His Kidnapped Friend
- Powerful trio cast a shadow over Congo poll
- BRING IT ON!: Kotoko-Sharks Proves Ghanaians Are Ready For Regular Football
- Stephen Appiah Receives Condolence From Fenerbahce After Losing Mum
- Christmas: Let us pay attention to the next good – Rev Opuni-Frimpong
- Christians celebrate Christmas today
- Ghanaians ‘have everything to celebrate’ this Christmas – NPP
- Akwa Ibom Finally Approve Big Stadium For Buhari
- Robbers Kill OAU Student For Refusing To Surrender iPhone
- President Buhari's Christmas Message To Nigerians
- Drunk BRT Driver Flees After Knocking Down Naval Officer’s Wife In Lagos
- Nigeria resolves $8 bln row with MTN
- All Set For Cabic Christmas Eve Fight Night Boxing at Bukom Boxing Arena
- Jessie Lartey Commends Boxing Ghana
- Thomas Partey denies being unhappy at Atletico Madrid
- Be careful corruption doesn't ‘kill’ your Government – IMANI warns Akufo-Addo
- Summer Hills Estates: Where we call home
- LIVESTREAMING: Badwam on Adom TV
- EC sets date for Ayawaso West-Wuogon by-election
- CBN, MTN resolve forex repatriation issue as MTN agrees to pay $52.6 million
- 5 things to remove from your wedding budget in 2018
- 4 signs of a bad girlfriend
- 4 signs your girlfriend is a marriage material
- Ghana Revenue Authority to auction forfeited cars and goods on Dec 27
- Former Black Stars captain, Stephen Appiah, writes an emotional tribute to late mother
- Oti Referendum: Police intercept guns, ammunition
- 'Live a Live That Reflects Christ Nature' - Church of Pentecost