Kumasi Aug 9, GNA – The Kumasi Metropolitan Authority (KMA), is embarking on an exercise to get all legitimate Kejetia traders back as the first phase of the 248 million Euro Kejetia/ Central Market Re-development project nears completion.
Mr Osei-Assibey Antwi, KMA’s Chief Executive who hinted stopped short at setting timeliness to the completion of the three-phased project being executed by Messrs Contracta Engeharia Limited, a Brazilian contracting firm.
The Project started in July 2015 and was supposed to end in August 2018, but the KMA Chief Executive attributed the delay in the projects to law suits initiated by owners of buildings which stood in the way of the project sites and had to be demolished.
Mr Osei-Assibey said as part of a broad consultation scheme, validation and verification were on course to capture all former Kejetia shop owners on an authentic data-base to facilitate the reallocation of stores to them.
He told a section of the media in Kumasi in a media briefing that 93 million Euros, the first tranche of funds to commence the second phase of the project, has already been approved by Parliament in the current budget.
Mr Osei-Assibey said after resettling the former traders, the remaining space would be allocated to Central Market traders to be affected by the second phase, allaying the fears of all traders in the Central Market that they would all be sorted.
He said the teeming hawkers and transport operators whose commercial activities were causing congestion in the Central Business District (CBD), have also not been left out as the various satellite markets like Abinkyi, Adehye, Race Course and the Adomanu markets, have been allocated to them already.
‘KMA will stop at nothing to sustain efforts at moving Recalcitrant Street/floating hawkers and commercial transport operators to the satellite market to rid the CBD of filth and congestion,’ he averred.
He thanked the Kumasi Traditional Council, for its mediating role that enabled KMA to win the legal tussle saying that paved way for the continuation of the project.
Mr. Osei-Assibey rolled out KMAs meticulous plan to develop the Metropolis and this spanned sanitation, revenue mobilisation drive, construction of road network and de-congestion of the CBD.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo
- Body of football player Emliano Sala found in plane wreckage