Kumasi Aug 9, GNA – The Kumasi Metropolitan Authority (KMA), is embarking on an exercise to get all legitimate Kejetia traders back as the first phase of the 248 million Euro Kejetia/ Central Market Re-development project nears completion.
Mr Osei-Assibey Antwi, KMA’s Chief Executive who hinted stopped short at setting timeliness to the completion of the three-phased project being executed by Messrs Contracta Engeharia Limited, a Brazilian contracting firm.
The Project started in July 2015 and was supposed to end in August 2018, but the KMA Chief Executive attributed the delay in the projects to law suits initiated by owners of buildings which stood in the way of the project sites and had to be demolished.
Mr Osei-Assibey said as part of a broad consultation scheme, validation and verification were on course to capture all former Kejetia shop owners on an authentic data-base to facilitate the reallocation of stores to them.
He told a section of the media in Kumasi in a media briefing that 93 million Euros, the first tranche of funds to commence the second phase of the project, has already been approved by Parliament in the current budget.
Mr Osei-Assibey said after resettling the former traders, the remaining space would be allocated to Central Market traders to be affected by the second phase, allaying the fears of all traders in the Central Market that they would all be sorted.
He said the teeming hawkers and transport operators whose commercial activities were causing congestion in the Central Business District (CBD), have also not been left out as the various satellite markets like Abinkyi, Adehye, Race Course and the Adomanu markets, have been allocated to them already.
‘KMA will stop at nothing to sustain efforts at moving Recalcitrant Street/floating hawkers and commercial transport operators to the satellite market to rid the CBD of filth and congestion,’ he averred.
He thanked the Kumasi Traditional Council, for its mediating role that enabled KMA to win the legal tussle saying that paved way for the continuation of the project.
Mr. Osei-Assibey rolled out KMAs meticulous plan to develop the Metropolis and this spanned sanitation, revenue mobilisation drive, construction of road network and de-congestion of the CBD.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Dogara: APC, PDP In Serious Battle For Control Of House
- Davido's Family Account Freezing By EFCC: PDP Slams Buhari
- Democracy Should Work For The People
- Audit Service Chair Should Resign
- AGI Applauds Decision To Implement CTN Without Charges
- Luv FM High School Debate Lines Up Prempeh College vs Armed Forces; YAGSS vs KUGISS
- KMA Committee To Validate Shop Owners At Kejetia
- Standards And Poor's Global Lauds Ghana's Monetary Policy
- Boxing: Canelo beats GGG on points to win WBC and WBA middleweight titles
- Horrific: Blind woman raped, impregnated, left with HIV
- Politics: How a no-deal Brexit could cripple Britain
- Economic Outlook: S&P raises Ghana's credit ratings to B with stable outlook
- Loaded Fuel Tanker Falls In Lagos, Emergency Officials Rescue The Situation (Photos)
- Akpabio and APC Leaders Attend Prayers For Buhari (Photo)
- ‘I Called Them Before I Have S*x With My Wife’ — Man Hypnotised By Scammers
- APC Lawmaker Caught Bathing In Market Ahead Of Osun Election
- 2019: PDP Strong Presidential Aspirants and Their Chances
- Flood Destroys 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless
- Nigeria Ranks Among Least Performing Economies
- Journalist Becomes First Female LG Boss In Anambra
- Presidency attacks HSBC over report on Buhari poor leadership
- Government Should Drastically Deal With BOST Oil Issues
- Free SHS And Double Track System Crucial
- Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge sets new marathon world record
- Akufo-Addo Claims Collapsed Banks Minimised Job Losses
- We Cannot Send People's Children To Private Schools
- I'm Not Responsible For Stacy's Death--Obengfo Doctor
- Collapse Of Banks Costs Taxpayers GHC12.7 Billion
- Atukwei Is Still Here With Us
- Kantanka’s Engine Display on Company’s Website Is Perfectly Savvy, Here’s Why
- The Development Of HIV Out Of The Virus Infectious Anemia Of Horses
- Chiefs applaud President for solid performance
- Forestry Commission destroys 8 hectors of food crops at Desiri
- Twenty sex workers arrested as MCE clamps down on brothels
- Asiedu Nketia forcibly seized microphone from National Chairman - Allotey Jacobs
- Kejetia Redevelopment: KMA inaugurates 11 member committee to validate traders
- Fitness: This 20 minute cardio circuit lets you ditch the treadmill
- Girl Smarts: 14 ways you can help if you think a loved one is suicidal