President Akufo-Addo presenting a Commandant Award to JUO Asomaning Mabel.
President Akufo-Addo says attempts to get the Special Prosecutor Martin Amidu to back down on certain cases he is investigating will not work.
Delivering the keynote address at the graduation ceremony for Officer Cadet Course Intake 25 of the Ghana Prisons Service at the Prison Officers Training School yesterday, the President said “and to those who are sending chiefs and men of God to the Special Prosecutor to intervene on their behalf to try to dissuade Martin Amidu from conducting his investigations, from the little I know of the man, they are engaged in a fruitless venture.”
It follows revelations by the Special Prosecutor, Martin Amidu that former Minister for Environment, Mahama Ayariga, who is also the incumbent Member of Parliament (MP) for Bawku Central, sent some chiefs and men of God to plead with Mr Amidu to stop investigations into the importation of three second-hand white Toyota Land Cruiser V8 vehicles after refusing to honour an invitation by the Economic and Organized Crime Office (EOCO) over the matter.
He said “under my watch as President of the Republic, the laws of this land will be applied to the letter, and without recourse to the ethnic, religious or political affiliations of the person involved.”
The President assured the Director-General of the Ghana Prisons Service that he would assist in helping to improve reformation and rehabilitation in the country’s prisons.
He disclosed that the media landscape is replete with many examples of persons, who became hardened in prison and were unable to successfully integrate themselves into the society upon their release, thus perpetrating criminal acts which bring them back to prison.
“It’s important that we give them the assurance of a better life after prison by upholding their dignity and human rights. Officers of the service must, at all times, exhibit high level of discipline and professionalism in the discharge of their duties,” he added.
President Akufo-Addo urged the country’s security services to jealously guard the peace, security and stability of the nation.
Crime, he said, has become more sophisticated and multi-dimensional, and the country cannot win the war against it if the security agencies engage in needless tussle for supremacy.
“Each one of you has a unique mandate towards the maintenance of peace and security of our country.
President Akufo-Addo acknowledged the two officer cadets who emerged as the Best Officer Cadet, Senior-Under-Officer Stephen Kumah and the best in academic performance, Junior-Under-Officer Mabel Asomaning.
Their achievements make them the proud and worthy recipients of the Sword of Honour and the Academic Cane Awards respectively. On behalf of government and the people of Ghana, I say a big Ayekoo to them,” he added.
The President expressed concern about congestion in the country’s prisons and reiterated the commitment of his government to address the problem soon.
According to him, the country’s prisons, which were built to accommodate some 9,875 inmates, had been exceeded by some 48 per cent.
“Nsawam Prisons, for example, was built to house 850 persons. Its current occupancy stands at 3,450 persons of which 223 are remand prisoners. Originally, there was no provision for remand prisoners at Nsawam,” he said.
To this end, President Akufo-Addo told the gathering that “we need to do something about these figures, and my government is determined to so.”
Following the successes chalked up under the ‘Justice for All’programme, the President indicated that the programme is expanding steadily to cover prisons at Nsawam, Tarkwa, Sekondi, Akuse, Obuasi and Winneba.
He indicated that under the programme, two projects involving the construction of a 2,000-capacity remand prison at Nsawam and expansion of accommodation for staff at the Ankaful Maximum Security Prison had been started and would be completed and operationalised soon.
By Charles Takyi-Boadu, Presidential Correspondent
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- Democracy Should Work For The People
- Audit Service Chair Should Resign
- AGI Applauds Decision To Implement CTN Without Charges
- Luv FM High School Debate Lines Up Prempeh College vs Armed Forces; YAGSS vs KUGISS
- KMA Committee To Validate Shop Owners At Kejetia
- Standards And Poor's Global Lauds Ghana's Monetary Policy
- Loaded Fuel Tanker Falls In Lagos, Emergency Officials Rescue The Situation (Photos)
- Akpabio and APC Leaders Attend Prayers For Buhari (Photo)
- ‘I Called Them Before I Have S*x With My Wife’ — Man Hypnotised By Scammers
- APC Lawmaker Caught Bathing In Market Ahead Of Osun Election
- 2019: PDP Strong Presidential Aspirants and Their Chances
- Flood Destroys 35 Edo Communities, Renders 30,000 Homeless
- Nigeria Ranks Among Least Performing Economies
- Government Should Drastically Deal With BOST Oil Issues
- Free SHS And Double Track System Crucial
- Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge sets new marathon world record
- Akufo-Addo Claims Collapsed Banks Minimised Job Losses
- We Cannot Send People's Children To Private Schools
- I'm Not Responsible For Stacy's Death--Obengfo Doctor
- Collapse Of Banks Costs Taxpayers GHC12.7 Billion
- Atukwei Is Still Here With Us
- Kantanka’s Engine Display on Company’s Website Is Perfectly Savvy, Here’s Why
- The Development Of HIV Out Of The Virus Infectious Anemia Of Horses
- Fitness: This 20 minute cardio circuit lets you ditch the treadmill
- Girl Smarts: 14 ways you can help if you think a loved one is suicidal
- Politics: China is repressing an ethnic Muslim minority on an unprecedented scale — here are their excuses for imprisoning people
- Horror: Student stabs teacher to death
- Photos: Man arrested for stealing MPs’ toilet roll at Parliament House
- Unbelievable: Man born with penis finally loses virginity at 45
- Ghanaian Players Abroad: Richmond Boakye bags BRACE on Red Star Belgrade return debut
- Newly enrolled female students of Katanga and ‘Conti’ halls possessed-73-year-old woman
- ‘I can’t live with a man who doesn’t beat, slap me once in a while’- Actress
- WE WOULD VOTE AGAINST YOU IN 2020, IF YOU COLLAPSE MENZGOLD – CUSTOMERS TO GOVERNMENT
- Chiefs applaud Akufo-Addo for ‘solid performance’
- Mr Ibu “chopped” me just ONCE-Lady Confesses after one night stand
- Building A Good Life Of Purpose
- Cute photos from Nigerian man Gifted Harmony & Chinese lover's wedding
- Meet Journalist Who Exposed Kemi Adeosun's Fake NYSC Cert.