Kumasi based leading private commercial radio station, OTEC FM, today Saturday, September 22, 2018 held a day’s training programme for its numerous employees.
The employees were trained as part of measures to improve worker-efficiency, and also OTEC FM Ghana‘s resolve to equip its staff to enable them deliver world class services aimed at maintaining its status as number one commercial station in the Kumasi Metropolis.
According to the Management of the company, given their growing market appeal and wide listener base, it has become necessary to adapt to international best practices, hence the training.
An ace journalist, Kofi Adu Domfe who facilitated the training workshop said the independence of journalists do not only enhance their profession, but also build their credibility that will allow the audience to consume their works to their benefits.
According to the multiple international award winner, lack of consistence lack of professionalism in their works, shows their biases and it creates an avenue for people to question your will objectivity and end loosing respect from the audience.
“Independence of the journalist is very important because it smacks of ability to withhold your biases, the ability to forgo any nuisances that comes with discomfort of a subject. So as a journalist, work is to ask the relevant questions and feeds the audience with credible information for the public to take their own decisions,” he said.
According to him, once your credibility is affected, there is no way your audience will respect your personality, consume your works and will lose their respect.
“If the public knows you have set your own agenda, you will end up feeding the public with personal information which are bias, the target audience will not benefit from your work because you have taken your stands already. Once you lose their respect, they will not consume your work,” he echoed.
The CEO of Institute of Business Management and Journalism (IBMJ), Philip Owusu Fordjour, lecturing on the topic “Agenda Setting”, urged media practitioners to look at interested issues that are of public concern to discuss.
“As a journalist, you must not follow the bandwagon, that is, you must toe the line on what the other media houses are discussing. You must set your own agenda and that can be done through research which is also done by asking the public relevant questions to know problems affecting them,” he added.
“That’s the mark of a professional and genius journalist,” he concluded.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- "I Won’t Die Until You Become President" - Nwabueze to Atiku
- IGP, Police Service Commission clash on special promotions: Reps begin probe
- TraderMoni A Trick For APC Vote-buying? Case Goes To Court
- Saraki Replies Oshiomhole: You Should Not Even Be Talking After "Collecting Dollars"
- Mahama Was Rushed Into The Presidency
- Ahead Of 2019 Budget: New Taxes, Increases Will Be Unacceptable
- Sodomy Puts Assistant Headmaster Of KUHISS In Trouble
- Strike Action Declared At Laboratory Of U/West Hospital
- Vice President Yemi Osinbajo: A Pastor Only By Name
- Ghana's Ambassador To The US Secures Over $60m Of Scholarship For Ghanaian Students
- Japanese-Ghana School Wins Yosakoi Dance Festival 2018
- OFFICIAL: Ropapa Mensah Joins Nashville SC Permanently
- KNUST impasse: Asantehene's intervention timely
- Food and Drugs Authority seizes unlicensed body enhancement products
- Health Director orders killing of all stray dogs in Keta
- Tech: 10 things in tech you need to know today
- 5 best foods to control diabetes
- Finance Minister presents 2019 budget today
- Strategy: Meet the 8 Nigerians named on Forbes’ 30 Under 30 list for 2019
- Sports: Japan's cybersecurity minister admits: 'I don't use computers!'
- FG has not released cash for us to complete unemployment report; says NBS Boss
- Sports Tourism: Golf, More Than Just A Game
- Commemorating Alhaji Aliu Mahama: Six Years On
- NDC Congress: Vote For Women Candidates - WiLDAF Ghana To NDC Delegates
- The Disgruntled Former Prime Minister
- Kufuor Calls On Investors To Support Young Entrepreneurs
- Mark Of Excellence: NCC Chairman Congratulates Channel VAS Founder For Company’s Growth
- Mortuary Workers Call Off Strike
- NDC Polls: Ako Gunn kicks against NEC's decision of appointing communication officers from 2021
- NDC Polls: Action Youth for John Mahama descends heavily on Ofosu Ampofo
- Health Minister Cuts Sod For Construction Of Bogoso District Hospital
- Wayne Rooney To Be England Captain During Farewell Appearance
- 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: Black Stars Gears Up Ahead Of Ethiopia Clash [PICTURES]
- Manchester United Rekindle Interest In Jerome Boateng
- Ghanaian Midfielder Koby Arthur Scores Winner For Macclesfield FC In Checkatrade Trophy
- Joe Dodoo Bags Brace For Blackpool In Checkatrade Trophy Win Over Accrington Stanley
- Ghanaian Duo Asante, Awako To Work Under Rick Schantz At Phoenix Rising
- AshantiGold Widfielder James Akaminko Writes To Management To Cancel Contract - Report
- Nigeria Arrive In Ghana Ahead Of AWCON
- Awutu Senya East constituency gets projects under one million per constituency
- Black Stars hold first training session in Kenya
- Mukarama revels in Black Maidens’ 5-0 romp over Uruguay