Ghana Technology University College (GTUC) lecturers have today declared an indefinite strike on all campuses in the country over government’s failure to form a governing council for the school.
They are arguing that the absence of a governing council for the school has derailed the school from progressing in several key areas. Government has set up an Interim Management Committee (IMC) to run the affairs of the University in the absence of a governing council.
But according to the faculty members, some decisions taken by the IMC have not benefited the school. Hence their decision to go on an indefinite strike to compel government to as a matter of urgency constitute a governing council for them.
They have withdrawn all academic services on the Accra, Takoradi, Kumasi, Koforidua and Ho campuses with immediate effect until government sets up the governing council to steer the affairs of the school.
The lecturers are also demanding the passing of the GTUC bill which has been in limbo since 2009 to regularize the University as a Public Institution
Speaking at a Press Conference at the Accra Campus earlier today, Samuel Kingsford Seglah who is chairman of the GTUC Lecturers Association reiterated that it has been a year since the IMC took over the school but as at now they do not even know the strategic plans of the committee to move the school forward.
“It has been about almost a year since the IMC took over and in this time we cannot tell the strategic direction of the IMC as far as managing the University is concerned”, Mr. Seglah said.
He continued; “Three issues will engage our attention in this discussion. The absence of a governing council, the passage of the GTUC bill and the removal or ending of the term of office of the IMC because we want a substantive management team in office. The absence of a governing council has affected the running of the University adversely. For instance certain promotions and key appointments have been pending for more than a year”.
They say the appointment of a President or Vice Chancellor is a function of the University Council and in the absence of the council it cannot be done at the moment. This they have bemoaned because it has not allowed for the smooth running of the University.
The indefinite strike action is set to remain in force until government constitute a governing council for the University and submits the GTUC bill to parliament for passage whiles taking steps to end the reign of the interim management team.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Rubber Bullets Were Used On Adentan Protesters--Police
- "Fix Our Streetlights"
- KNUST Primary Teachers Back Their Counterparts To Strike
- Kenpong; A Treasure Worth Celebrating - Charles Taylor
- Go Back To School--Minister Charges Striking Teachers Of Colleges Of Education
- Teshie-Aglizaa Road Will Be Fixed--MP Okoe Boye Assures
- Nana Addo Has No Interest In Oti Region Creation
- Tema Port Expansion Project: Cranes Set To Sail To Ghana
- Analysis: Why Ghana Needs A National Airline
- Doctors Surgically Remove Toy Stuck In Boy's Throat (Pics)
- Ad Agencies Turning Down Atiku Adverts for Fear of Buhari?
- Story Of Lady Who Fell From The Sky After Getting Sucked Out Of A Plane (Photos)
- Angola bets on largest-ever offshore oil investment
- Fighting wars and disease, smartphones on the frontlines
- Libya warlord casts shadow over Italy's bid to solve crisis
- Africa Investment Forum Exceeds Expectations
- 3 civilians killed in attack on UN contractor in Mali
- Chiefs Want Schools Under Trees Replaced
- Media Coalition Accuses MPs Of Being Disinterested In RTI
- Upper West residents welcome Wa UDS autonomy announcement
- GRA arrests four persons for diverting Free Zone Enclave goods
- Ghana servicing interest on debt with its internal revenue
- AAU reiterates commitment to attainment of AU’s vision 2063
- Professor Yankah calls for harmonisation of African universities
- Moshake advises NDC to ‘cure administrative ignorance’
- Parents urged to protect the interest of their children
- New price for sachet water rejected by sellers
- Huudu Yahaya not stepping down from chairmanship race - Campaign team
- Ghana Rugby: Herbert Mensah praises Interplast and other sponsors
- My office ‘almost hopeless’ to fight corruption – Martin Amidu laments
- 4 amazing health benefits of salmon
- Politics: Trump has reportedly decided to fire Homeland Security secretary Kirstjen Nielsen — and it could come as soon as this week
- Lifestyle: Police in Albuquerque, New Mexico, are responding to reports of a shooting
- Tinunu's Wealth Questionable? EFCC Boss Asks Journalist To Write Petition
- Obasanjo Speaks: Govs Against LG Autonomy Are Enemies Of Nigerians
- Millionaire Chief Bademosi's "Killer" Arraigned, Sent To Prison
- Hoodlums vandalise 18 vehicles, rob traders openly in Lagos
- Nigerian Prince Who Scammed People In US Appears In Court, Begs To Go Home (Photos)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Nana Addo Deceiving Ghanaians With Incorruptible Clean Appointees Claim--NDC
- 'We Do Not Invite Players Base On Public Influence' - Richard Kingson Slams Critics
- LIVESTREAMING: Badwam on Adom TV