Ghana Technology University College (GTUC) lecturers have today declared an indefinite strike on all campuses in the country over government’s failure to form a governing council for the school.
They are arguing that the absence of a governing council for the school has derailed the school from progressing in several key areas. Government has set up an Interim Management Committee (IMC) to run the affairs of the University in the absence of a governing council.
But according to the faculty members, some decisions taken by the IMC have not benefited the school. Hence their decision to go on an indefinite strike to compel government to as a matter of urgency constitute a governing council for them.
They have withdrawn all academic services on the Accra, Takoradi, Kumasi, Koforidua and Ho campuses with immediate effect until government sets up the governing council to steer the affairs of the school.
The lecturers are also demanding the passing of the GTUC bill which has been in limbo since 2009 to regularize the University as a Public Institution
Speaking at a Press Conference at the Accra Campus earlier today, Samuel Kingsford Seglah who is chairman of the GTUC Lecturers Association reiterated that it has been a year since the IMC took over the school but as at now they do not even know the strategic plans of the committee to move the school forward.
“It has been about almost a year since the IMC took over and in this time we cannot tell the strategic direction of the IMC as far as managing the University is concerned”, Mr. Seglah said.
He continued; “Three issues will engage our attention in this discussion. The absence of a governing council, the passage of the GTUC bill and the removal or ending of the term of office of the IMC because we want a substantive management team in office. The absence of a governing council has affected the running of the University adversely. For instance certain promotions and key appointments have been pending for more than a year”.
They say the appointment of a President or Vice Chancellor is a function of the University Council and in the absence of the council it cannot be done at the moment. This they have bemoaned because it has not allowed for the smooth running of the University.
The indefinite strike action is set to remain in force until government constitute a governing council for the University and submits the GTUC bill to parliament for passage whiles taking steps to end the reign of the interim management team.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo
- Body of football player Emliano Sala found in plane wreckage