Valerie Sawyerr, a former Board Member of the Ghana National Gas Company, has descended on Ghana’s two criminal prosecuting agencies, the Attorney General’s Department (AG) and the Economic and Organised Crime Organisation (EOCO), suing them over the infamous Cabinet audit report.
Valerie has filed processes at the High Court praying it to quash the report of the Cabinet Committee Responsible for the Coordination of the Investigations/Forensic Audit, which has received the attention of the public.
The report, which came out a few weeks ago, revealed that helicopters purchased from China Aero Technology Import and Export Corporation were not used for the purpose intended.
It was further revealed, per the report, that the helicopter parts, which were part of the initial contract price, were not delivered, same as the training cost, which was also part of the initial contract.
The audit disclosed further that contract sums were inflated, whilst there were non-performance and contract breaches costing the nation in excess of $60 million.
Contending that the audit report amounts to a breach of the natural rules of justice and right to administrative justice, in a sworn affidavit she prayed the court to declare same, adding: “A declaration that the audit report completed and submitted to the 2nd Respondent was made in breach of the rule of natural justice, audi alteram partem“.
She further prayed the court for “A declaration that the audit report, which implicated me, as a former board member of Ghana National Gas Company Limited, was done in breach of my right to administrative justice, and my right to a fair hearing.”
Also, “A declaration that the audit report which implicated me, as a former board member of the Ghana National Gas Company Limited, contravenes Article 23 of the 1992 Constitution.”
In relation to the above, she further prayed the court to quash the report, its findings, observations and recommendations.
The writ added: “An order of Certiorari bringing up into this court for purposes of being quashed, and quashing the Audit Report which was completed and submitted to the 2nd Respondent, and which implicated me as a former board member of Ghana National Gas Company Limited.”
Valerie also wants the court to restrain the agencies involved in the related case from inviting her for questioning, adding that the invitations amount to harassment.
The writ stated: “An order of injunction restraining 2nd and 3rd respondents from going ahead to invite me as a subject of interest into investigation of allegations of procurement infractions at Ghana National Gas Company, when the Audit Report has been completed and submitted to the 2nd Respondent without me being given a hearing.”
Johnson Asiedu Nketia, General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), had earlier asked former NDC appointees indicted in the audit report not to honour any invitation from the different government agencies investigating the issue.
Valerie Sawyerr had condemned the report in an article earlier.
A cabinet sanctioned report of some state-owned companies uncovered the misappropriation of over GH¢800 million by heads of those state institutions.
Among the 16 companies probed by the committee included (but not limited to) the Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation Company (BOST), Micro and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC), Ghana Free Zones Board, Ghana Standards Authority (GSA), and Ghana Technology University College.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- The Backpack Messiah
- Ethiopian rebels fire verbal volley over peace deal
- French PM kicks off national debate with Yellow Vests
- We’re Not Communicating Well For Ghanaians To Understand What We've Achieved – Bawumia
- Former Keta MCE Found Dead
- How 2 Men Were Caught With $2.8m By EFCC At The Airport
- Boko Haram mastermind of deadly Nigeria blasts arrested: police
- Burundi crisis summit postponed again: official
- Macron in Chad for Christmas dinner with Barkhane troops
- UN report on horror of gang rape and exploitation of migrants in Libya
- GHC180m approved for Special Prosecutor; Minority alleges clash of ‘egos’ with AG
- Former Keta MCE found dead in suspected suicide
- AshantiGold SC sign Burkina Faso goalkeeper Baba Zongo
- Meet the Catholic Priest who left his cassock to marry after 15 years
- CAF Confed Cup: Sharks aiming to swim against the tide in Kumasi
- GFA Normalization Committee sends goodwill message to Kotoko
- Parliament Approves Drone Agreement. Here is All You Need to Know About Ghana's "blood Delivery Drones".MP4
- By switching to lower-cost remittance services, the Ghanaian diaspora could send their loved ones an extra gift this Christmas
- Melcom gives back with appreciation dinner
- The Sad Story of Innocent Yousif Musah Who Got Stabbed
- CAF CC: Ashanti Regional Minister Buys 100 Tickets For Kotoko Supporters Ahead Of Sharks Encounter
- Go tough on Ghana’s ‘uncivilized’ sanitation – Rawlings
- Meet the 21-year-old Ghanaian tech whiz who’s coded for Instagram and Snapchat
- Amidu’s office can’t justify GHC30m expenditure – Minority
- Ex President Kufuor’s MCE for Keta commits suicide in uncompleted building
- Seize, sell Menzgold and NAM1's assets to pay clients – Ato Forson to government
- Segun and Ronke Abiona, the couple behind the Nicole and Giovanni brand talks to Business Insider in this exclusive interview
- Jose Mourinho: Manchester United sack manager
- White Lady flies down to arrest Sakawa Boy who duped her of over €20,000
- Capital Bank: Ato Essien Countersues Recievers
- Media Analysts Rate Journalists Performance at President's Encounter
- Cargill Ends 10th Anniversary With Family Day
- Kwabena Duffour's Suit Thrown Out
- Minority Accuses Special Prosecutor and A-G of 'Clash of Egos'
- Bawumia Falter Party Communicators for Not Telling Their Good Works
- Catholic Priest Leaves Altar to Marry After 15 years of Service
- Jerry Arthur Gets Full Scholarship From Bayport to University
- Govt Urged to Consult Widely on Fiscal Council Formation
- Asante Akyem North Teachers Grapple with Accommodation
- Christian Atsu Helps Free 10 Prisoners By Paying Court Fines [PHOTO]
- Kwaku Agyemang 'rejected' free medical equipment, drones offered to Ghana - MAMA-HELP
- Builsa overlord lauds Akufo-Addo over promise