Forty-eight-year-old Udeme is standing trial for allegedly stabbing her husband, Symphorosa Otike-Odibi, to death at their residence on Diamond Estate, Sangotedo, Lagos State.
The Punch had reported that Udeme was also alleged to have mutilated the corpse of her husband after killing him.
Offor, at the Thursday proceedings, while being led in evidence by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Titilayo Shitta-Bay, said she was surprised when she saw the message as Udeme was billed to travel out of the country that day.
She added that she replied to the text message saying that she thought Udeme had packed her things for the trip.
She said, “In the text message to her, I reminded her that our agreement was that she should travel first and take care of her health because she has a thyroid problem. We agreed that when she comes back, we will address the relationship with her husband and see if the marriage will work out.
“She sent me a second message that read, ‘I have tried.’ I called her several times, but she did not pick the calls. I sent Udeme another message asking why she did not pick my calls, but she did not reply till I went to bed.
“Around 4am, I got a call from Udeme’s mum that Udeme and Symphorosa had had a fight, asking if she should come to Lagos. But I told her that Udeme was billed to travel to the UK that day that she should exercise patience.
“I called Symphorosa’s younger brother, Andrew, around past 5am; he did not pick the call. Later, Andrew called back and I told him that I received a call from Udeme’s mum. He said he also received a similar call from his mum the previous day that Udeme and Symphorosa were fighting. He added that they were adults and should be able to resolve their issues.”
Offor stated that Udeme’s mum called back and told her that Symphorosa was dead, adding that she started screaming until her husband came to collect the phone from her.
Offor, who said she had known the defendant since 1992 when they were both employed by Diamond Bank, added that Udeme was her chief bridesmaid when she wedded in 1996.
She stated further that since they met in 1992, they had been friends, adding that she knew the deceased at the University of Benin.
Offor said, “I knew the deceased for over 30 years; we met at UNIBEN and he was my elder brother’s friend and was even my elder brother’s best man when he got married in 1998.
“The deceased and the defendant got married in October 2014. I was present at their wedding; I was aware that they were having issues in their marriage and Udeme wasn’t happy. I knew because she confided in me last year that she was travelling to the UK to take some time off.
“She came back from the UK before Easter and she told me that Symphorosa wasn’t eating at home, so she did not bother to cook his food. I advised her to cook for him even if it was a small portion.
“On May 2, 2018, I saw Udeme; she had called and asked me to assist her to pack her things, so I drove to their house on Diamond Estate, Songotedo. We packed the things she needed for another UK trip and we went to a cinema to see a movie.”
During cross-examination by the defendant’s counsel, Oluseye Bamgbose, Offor said the defendant was a peaceful person and that for the 26 years that she had known her, she had never seen her arguing with anybody.
The presiding judge, Justice Asedayo Akintoye, adjourned the matter till October 30, for continuation of trial.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo
- Body of football player Emliano Sala found in plane wreckage