Students in class
The Talensi District Director of Education, Miss Emilia Abdullah Adiza, has said that the district has a number of challenges facing the educational sector, but sees the absenteeism of students and teachers as a big worry to the District Education Directorate.
According to her, apart from the inadequate number of teaching and learning materials in schools in the district, structures and furniture, children absenting themselves from school at will and lateness of teachers to school are the most pressing issues.
There is a situation where children absent themselves from school to work for money in illegal mining areas in the Talensi District. There is also another group of students who absent themselves on market days.
She linked these unpleasant situations to the low performance of students in the district but gave an assurance that some efforts were underway to change the situation.
The District Director of Education was speaking in an interview in Bolgatanga in reaction to the theme for this year’s World Teachers’ Day: “The Right to Education Means the Right to a Qualified Teacher: The Role of Stakeholders”.
For a very long time, many teachers posted to schools in the Talensi District have preferred to stay in Bolgatanga and Tongo as they travel some long distances on a daily basis to get to their schools.
The Talensi District cannot boast of good roads apart from the road linking Bolgatanga to Tongo hence riding motorbikes over these bad roads cause the teachers to be late to school. There are cases where teachers travelling to their schools have been involved in minor accidents or the motorbikes damaged as a result of the bad nature of the roads. These among other issues are the leading causes of their frequent absence from class.
She believes that one sure way of reducing teacher-absenteeism is to get teachers to be attracted and motivated to stay near or in the communities where their schools are located. This would help curb lateness.
Over the years, some stakeholders in the Upper East Region have suggested that the Ghana Education Service should post teachers to schools that are closer to their dwelling places, but this suggestion cannot be implemented fully because many teachers prefer to stay in communities with all social amenities, including electricity and health facilities.
FROM: Ebo Bruce-Quansah, Bolgatanga
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo
- Body of football player Emliano Sala found in plane wreckage