Stakeholders in a meeting with some chiefs in Nanton district
The Northern Women Development Association (NORWDA) in the Northern Region is advocating access to farmlands for women like their male counterparts.
Rural women throughout the Northern Region contribute greatly to agricultural production and are highly dependent on agriculture as their source of income and livelihood. Yet most of them are denied secure rights and access to land – the most important agricultural asset.
This has made it difficult for women in the region and the district to gain financial independence, making them largely dependent on their husbands.
According to the women group, their inability to have access to farmlands denies them the ability to complement the efforts of their husbands in catering for their children financially.
They said their plea to have equal access to farmlands does not mean they are competing with their male counterparts. Rather, it is aimed at reducing the burden on their husbands and also gaining their financial independence.
The group members said if they are given the opportunity to have access to farmlands, they will be able to double their inputs, thereby increasing food production in the region and Ghana in general.
They further added that due to the long-standing discriminatory cultural practice where farmlands are solely accessed by men, it has limited production capacity, livelihood, and income of women in the region and the Nantong District.
Therefore, they are calling and appealing to all stakeholders in the Nantong District to respond to their concerns and allow them access to farmlands.
The advocacy is funded by the Business Sector Advocacy Challenge Fund (BUSAC Fund) and their partners – USAID, EU and Danida.
Meanwhile, the chiefs and family heads in the district have indicated their willingness and commitment to release farmlands to women in the area to independently undertake agricultural activities for food production and income generation.
At a stakeholders’ meeting in the Nanton District, the chiefs and family heads of the various families in the district made a commitment to ensure that women are given equal access to farmlands in the district for agricultural purposes.
FROM Eric Kombat, Nanton
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- "I Won’t Die Until You Become President" - Nwabueze to Atiku
- IGP, Police Service Commission clash on special promotions: Reps begin probe
- TraderMoni A Trick For APC Vote-buying? Case Goes To Court
- Saraki Replies Oshiomhole: You Should Not Even Be Talking After "Collecting Dollars"
- Offa Robbery Update: "You Have Case To Answer"
- Mahama Was Rushed Into The Presidency
- Ahead Of 2019 Budget: New Taxes, Increases Will Be Unacceptable
- Sodomy Puts Assistant Headmaster Of KUHISS In Trouble
- Strike Action Declared At Laboratory Of U/West Hospital
- Vice President Yemi Osinbajo: A Pastor Only By Name
- Ghana's Ambassador To The US Secures Over $60m Of Scholarship For Ghanaian Students
- Japanese-Ghana School Wins Yosakoi Dance Festival 2018
- OFFICIAL: Ropapa Mensah Joins Nashville SC Permanently
- KNUST impasse: Asantehene's intervention timely
- Food and Drugs Authority seizes unlicensed body enhancement products
- Local firms lack capacity for oil deals - Amewu
- October inflation drops to 9.5%, lowest in five years
- Mortuary workers suspend strike over poor working conditions
- #GhBudget: Special Prosecutor office to receive funds to function
- 2018 Women's AFCON: Nigeria arrive in Ghana
- Gov't must stop lukewarm and ‘I don't care’ attitude on CETAG strike - NDC youth organiser
- Health Director orders killing of all stray dogs in Keta
- Tech: 10 things in tech you need to know today
- 5 best foods to control diabetes
- Finance Minister presents 2019 budget today
- Strategy: Meet the 8 Nigerians named on Forbes’ 30 Under 30 list for 2019
- Sports: Japan's cybersecurity minister admits: 'I don't use computers!'
- How to bake tiramisu cake
- Christians responsible for 70% of Ghana’s problems – Peace Council chair
- FG has not released cash for us to complete unemployment report; says NBS Boss
- Sports Tourism: Golf, More Than Just A Game
- Commemorating Alhaji Aliu Mahama: Six Years On
- NDC Congress: Vote For Women Candidates - WiLDAF Ghana To NDC Delegates
- The Disgruntled Former Prime Minister
- Kufuor Calls On Investors To Support Young Entrepreneurs
- Mark Of Excellence: NCC Chairman Congratulates Channel VAS Founder For Company’s Growth
- Mortuary Workers Call Off Strike
- NDC Polls: Ako Gunn kicks against NEC's decision of appointing communication officers from 2021
- NDC Polls: Action Youth for John Mahama descends heavily on Ofosu Ampofo
- Health Minister Cuts Sod For Construction Of Bogoso District Hospital
- Wayne Rooney To Be England Captain During Farewell Appearance
- 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: Black Stars Gears Up Ahead Of Ethiopia Clash [PICTURES]