Stakeholders in a meeting with some chiefs in Nanton district
The Northern Women Development Association (NORWDA) in the Northern Region is advocating access to farmlands for women like their male counterparts.
Rural women throughout the Northern Region contribute greatly to agricultural production and are highly dependent on agriculture as their source of income and livelihood. Yet most of them are denied secure rights and access to land – the most important agricultural asset.
This has made it difficult for women in the region and the district to gain financial independence, making them largely dependent on their husbands.
According to the women group, their inability to have access to farmlands denies them the ability to complement the efforts of their husbands in catering for their children financially.
They said their plea to have equal access to farmlands does not mean they are competing with their male counterparts. Rather, it is aimed at reducing the burden on their husbands and also gaining their financial independence.
The group members said if they are given the opportunity to have access to farmlands, they will be able to double their inputs, thereby increasing food production in the region and Ghana in general.
They further added that due to the long-standing discriminatory cultural practice where farmlands are solely accessed by men, it has limited production capacity, livelihood, and income of women in the region and the Nantong District.
Therefore, they are calling and appealing to all stakeholders in the Nantong District to respond to their concerns and allow them access to farmlands.
The advocacy is funded by the Business Sector Advocacy Challenge Fund (BUSAC Fund) and their partners – USAID, EU and Danida.
Meanwhile, the chiefs and family heads in the district have indicated their willingness and commitment to release farmlands to women in the area to independently undertake agricultural activities for food production and income generation.
At a stakeholders’ meeting in the Nanton District, the chiefs and family heads of the various families in the district made a commitment to ensure that women are given equal access to farmlands in the district for agricultural purposes.
FROM Eric Kombat, Nanton
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo
- Body of football player Emliano Sala found in plane wreckage