TENANTS AT THE Ghana International Trade Fair Centre have come out to register their displeasure over treatment being meted out to them by the management of the facility which has caused anxiety in many shop owners.
At a press conference held at the Centre at La in Accra on Wednesday, October 10, Chairman of the Fair City Tenants Association (FCTA), Mr. Peter Awoonor, who served as the mouthpiece for the tenants, lamented the sour relationship between the tenants and management of the facility in recent times.
In his address, Mr. Awoonor disclosed that management had taken major decisions which had affected the facility without recourse to the tenants – a situation they consider as distasteful.
He claimed that management in a letter dated 25th September, 2018, partly stated: “THERE IS NO BOARD RESOLUTION APPOINTING FAIR CITY TENANTS ASSOCIATION AS THE OFFICIAL BODY REPRESENTING ALL TENANTS”. According to him, it indicates that they do not recognize the Association.
Furthermore, incessant increment of rent without consultation with the tenants or other stakeholders is also a problem they have been facing. Mr. Awoonor said management increased rent without engaging the leadership of the Tenants Association. He said a tenant who was paying GH¢1,200 as rent as of November last year was served a notice on 20th December, 2017, requesting him or her to pay an amount of GH¢8,540 as monthly rent.
The Association petitioned management for clarification on the newly stipulated amounts but has since not had any tangible response from them. The situation is currently in court.
Chairman for the Association claimed that management sent them a letter requesting tenants to move out of the centre as they are to embark on a project to break down the centre and rebuild it to meet international standards.
This he said was a laudable initiative but should follow the appropriate procedures such as engaging the tenants and all other stakeholders for collective participation since the various companies that occupy the Centre need to be informed in terms of plans and projects for the Centre.
BY Charles Cheku Armah & Nii Adjei Mensahfio
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Here are the capitals of the newly created regions
- Ahmed Suale Came To My House Jittering—Nyantakyi
- National Folklore Board Signs Contract To Protect Folklore
- "It's a joy to see my two sons playing for Bayern and Barcelona"- KP Boateng' father
- 'I condemn Nana B for slapping Sammy Gyamfi' - Failed NPP Youth Organizer
- You Have Surprised Me, Ex-President Mahama!
- Menaye shades Asamoah Gyan with photo of Muntari and son plus 'DNA' caption
- Date For 2019 BECE Revised
- Manasseh Azure Awuni exposes corrupt female appointee at Jubilee House
- Police Administration reshuffles senior officers
- Why There Will Not Be Another Biafra
- This is how angry man punished rat for chewing his phone charger
- Step mum who left boy’s hand to rot after cutting it sentenced
- Asamoah Gyan is a disgrace; must be ashamed of himself now – Ghanaians
- FLASHBACK: I'll die for NAM 1 because of his money - Willi Roi
- VIDEO: Anokye Supremo’s body finally arrives in Ghana
- Shatta Wale and Andy Dosty go on a twitter war - both threaten each other for digging their own graves
- I did not justify 'bloody widow' placards – Sam George sets record straight
- Takoradi: Audio Tape Exposes Arrested Kidnapper
- The Oracle Played A Game Of Chess In Dagbon With The Rise Of Naa Abubakari Mahama (Naa Gariba II)
- Hear Ye the Truth, the Family of the Late Tiger Eye PI Journalist Ahmed Hussein-Suale
- 3 reasons why a first degree is not valued in Ghana anymore
- Nkoranza NPP youth defect to NDC over Techiman capital
- Huge Crowd At Agyarko’s Funeral
- Bawumia Attends World Economic Forum
- Police Make Headway In Anas Boy’s Murder
- Concerned Police Officer Writes To The President
- Asabke Breaks Down In Court, Afoko Expresses Outrage
- LIVE UPDATES: Ghana vs Mali (U-20 AFCON)
- FLASHBACK: Jesus' second coming may never happen – Willi Roi
- I exchanged phones with Okyeame Kwame for a week – wife reveals
- Ahead Of 2020 Elections: NPP Activist Dares Mahama To Put His Family At The Battlefront
- GES Directive For WR School Heads
- Chantelle Asante rocks her baby bump on Instagram!
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Dies In Car Crash Few Days To Her Wedding
- Public Workers To Enjoy Digitised Payments From July
- Significance of Nana Addo’s yellow smock at Yaa-Naa’s investiture explained
- Volta Region Erupts For John Mahama
- Kotoko Shops For Holding Midfielder
- Corporal Punishment: Compliance On Ban Needs More Than ‘Threat’ Of Sanction
- Ghana Post MD, New Board Members Meet Asantehene Otumfuo
- Body of football player Emliano Sala found in plane wreckage