TENANTS AT THE Ghana International Trade Fair Centre have come out to register their displeasure over treatment being meted out to them by the management of the facility which has caused anxiety in many shop owners.
At a press conference held at the Centre at La in Accra on Wednesday, October 10, Chairman of the Fair City Tenants Association (FCTA), Mr. Peter Awoonor, who served as the mouthpiece for the tenants, lamented the sour relationship between the tenants and management of the facility in recent times.
In his address, Mr. Awoonor disclosed that management had taken major decisions which had affected the facility without recourse to the tenants – a situation they consider as distasteful.
He claimed that management in a letter dated 25th September, 2018, partly stated: “THERE IS NO BOARD RESOLUTION APPOINTING FAIR CITY TENANTS ASSOCIATION AS THE OFFICIAL BODY REPRESENTING ALL TENANTS”. According to him, it indicates that they do not recognize the Association.
Furthermore, incessant increment of rent without consultation with the tenants or other stakeholders is also a problem they have been facing. Mr. Awoonor said management increased rent without engaging the leadership of the Tenants Association. He said a tenant who was paying GH¢1,200 as rent as of November last year was served a notice on 20th December, 2017, requesting him or her to pay an amount of GH¢8,540 as monthly rent.
The Association petitioned management for clarification on the newly stipulated amounts but has since not had any tangible response from them. The situation is currently in court.
Chairman for the Association claimed that management sent them a letter requesting tenants to move out of the centre as they are to embark on a project to break down the centre and rebuild it to meet international standards.
This he said was a laudable initiative but should follow the appropriate procedures such as engaging the tenants and all other stakeholders for collective participation since the various companies that occupy the Centre need to be informed in terms of plans and projects for the Centre.
BY Charles Cheku Armah & Nii Adjei Mensahfio
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- "I Won’t Die Until You Become President" - Nwabueze to Atiku
- IGP, Police Service Commission clash on special promotions: Reps begin probe
- Mahama Was Rushed Into The Presidency
- Ahead Of 2019 Budget: New Taxes, Increases Will Be Unacceptable
- Sodomy Puts Assistant Headmaster Of KUHISS In Trouble
- Strike Action Declared At Laboratory Of U/West Hospital
- Vice President Yemi Osinbajo: A Pastor Only By Name
- Ghana's Ambassador To The US Secures Over $60m Of Scholarship For Ghanaian Students
- Japanese-Ghana School Wins Yosakoi Dance Festival 2018
- OFFICIAL: Ropapa Mensah Joins Nashville SC Permanently
- Health Director orders killing of all stray dogs in Keta
- Tech: 10 things in tech you need to know today
- 5 best foods to control diabetes
- Finance Minister presents 2019 budget today
- Strategy: Meet the 8 Nigerians named on Forbes’ 30 Under 30 list for 2019
- FG has not released cash for us to complete unemployment report; says NBS Boss
- Sports Tourism: Golf, More Than Just A Game
- Commemorating Alhaji Aliu Mahama: Six Years On
- NDC Congress: Vote For Women Candidates - WiLDAF Ghana To NDC Delegates
- The Disgruntled Former Prime Minister
- Kufuor Calls On Investors To Support Young Entrepreneurs
- Mark Of Excellence: NCC Chairman Congratulates Channel VAS Founder For Company’s Growth
- Mortuary Workers Call Off Strike
- NDC Polls: Ako Gunn kicks against NEC's decision of appointing communication officers from 2021
- NDC Polls: Action Youth for John Mahama descends heavily on Ofosu Ampofo
- Health Minister Cuts Sod For Construction Of Bogoso District Hospital
- Wayne Rooney To Be England Captain During Farewell Appearance
- 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: Black Stars Gears Up Ahead Of Ethiopia Clash [PICTURES]
- Manchester United Rekindle Interest In Jerome Boateng
- Ghanaian Midfielder Koby Arthur Scores Winner For Macclesfield FC In Checkatrade Trophy
- Joe Dodoo Bags Brace For Blackpool In Checkatrade Trophy Win Over Accrington Stanley
- Ghanaian Duo Asante, Awako To Work Under Rick Schantz At Phoenix Rising
- AshantiGold Widfielder James Akaminko Writes To Management To Cancel Contract - Report
- Nigeria Arrive In Ghana Ahead Of AWCON
- Awutu Senya East constituency gets projects under one million per constituency
- Black Stars hold first training session in Kenya
- Mukarama revels in Black Maidens’ 5-0 romp over Uruguay
- No tax increment at port – Sammy Awuku
- Ursula fights BoG over Kelni GVG deal
- Too many taxes crippling businesses – COPEC
- NDC elects new national executive this weekend; will it be Asiedu Nketia or Koku Anyidoho?
- 5 probe KNUST crisis