President of the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS), Elisha Oheneba Essumang has revealed that the Student body of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) wants their Vice Chancellor, the Dean of Student and head of Security to resign from their post.
It can be recalled that some students of KNUST were arrested for a holding vigil on campus last Friday for not obtaining permission from school authorities. Through the process, one student was allegedly manhandled by the internal security and is currently on admission at the KNUST hospital.
The Students Representative Council (SRC) together with some leading members of NUGS embarked on a demonstration exercise to highlight their displeasure to how they are being treated in the school particularly by their internal security. A move which has subsequently led to the destruction of property in the school and a curfew have been imposed on the school with Ghanaian student expected to vacate the school premises tomorrow.
In an interview with Class FM this evening, President of NUGS, Elisha Oheneba reacting to what has happened in KNUST said; “The students don’t want to hear anything but three things, we are saying that the head of security must resign, the Dean of Students must also resign and the Vice Chancellor who should have shown leadership, has yet to show leadership, he must also resign”.
According to him, NUGS has sworn an allegiance and the oath of allegiance to protect the right and freedom of all Ghanaian students. Therefore they are going to do anything they have to do to resist any oppressors rule. He insists that they are going to do that with all their might just as out National Anthem clearly states.
President Essumang further disclosed that they have scheduled a meeting with the Minister of Education tomorrow to deliberate on what and happened and the way forward. They have also planned a press conference to be held on Friday. They are also looking forward to petition His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo concerning the matter.
NUGS has also commended the KNUST SRC for not bowing to what they describe as oppressors rule. Despite emphasizing that they not supports violence and vandalism, NUGS president observes that Ghana is a country where the rules of law works and must be allowed to work.
“We are living in a country where the rule of law and equality before the law works and today the SCR we recommend them and we recommend the over 25,000 students who tromped the streets of KNUST to demonstrate and to register their displeasure against the University Management that enough is enough of the brutality”, Elisha Oheneba Essumang said.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- The Backpack Messiah
- Ethiopian rebels fire verbal volley over peace deal
- French PM kicks off national debate with Yellow Vests
- We’re Not Communicating Well For Ghanaians To Understand What We've Achieved – Bawumia
- Former Keta MCE Found Dead
- Agric Ministry Denies Claims Of $12m Missing Fertilizer
- Good News For Divisional Chiefs, Judicial Committee Members As They Earn Allowances From Next Year
- Can new EU measures turn the tide on marine pollution?
- Kintampo SHS needs special attention - Kintampo South PM
- CEPS warns bus drivers against carrying smuggled goods
- Okolla Morris On A Mission In Ghana To Shock WBO Africa Champion Harrison
- Government is confident of peaceful referendums - Dan Botwe
- We’re Failing At Selling Our “Significant” Achievements – Bawumia
- How 2 Men Were Caught With $2.8m By EFCC At The Airport
- Boko Haram mastermind of deadly Nigeria blasts arrested: police
- Burundi crisis summit postponed again: official
- Macron in Chad for Christmas dinner with Barkhane troops
- UN report on horror of gang rape and exploitation of migrants in Libya
- GHC180m approved for Special Prosecutor; Minority alleges clash of ‘egos’ with AG
- Former Keta MCE found dead in suspected suicide
- AshantiGold SC sign Burkina Faso goalkeeper Baba Zongo
- Meet the Catholic Priest who left his cassock to marry after 15 years
- CAF Confed Cup: Sharks aiming to swim against the tide in Kumasi
- GFA Normalization Committee sends goodwill message to Kotoko
- ASHMA to prosecute households without toilet facilities after February 2019
- Parliament Approves Drone Agreement. Here is All You Need to Know About Ghana's "blood Delivery Drones".MP4
- By switching to lower-cost remittance services, the Ghanaian diaspora could send their loved ones an extra gift this Christmas
- Melcom gives back with appreciation dinner
- Rémy Martin teams up with artist Matt W. Moore to invite us to rethink the way we see the world
- Mustapha Hamid makes false claims on pelele drains in Ashanti region - Masawudu Mubarick
- How KFC became China's most popular fast-food chain and made nearly $5 billion last year
- VIDEO: Ebony didn’t have a place to sleep when I met her – Bullet
- Wife catches slay queen driving husband’s car, she dragged her out of the car
- Martell launches two new cognacs with a fantasy themed exclusive celebration
- Ghana will maintain cocoa production target despite oversupply on the world market
- Police officer sets himself ablaze after realising that his wife has 3 illicit lovers
- The Sad Story of Innocent Yousif Musah Who Got Stabbed
- CAF CC: Ashanti Regional Minister Buys 100 Tickets For Kotoko Supporters Ahead Of Sharks Encounter
- Go tough on Ghana’s ‘uncivilized’ sanitation – Rawlings
- Meet the 21-year-old Ghanaian tech whiz who’s coded for Instagram and Snapchat
- Amidu’s office can’t justify GHC30m expenditure – Minority
- Ex President Kufuor’s MCE for Keta commits suicide in uncompleted building