National Democratic Congress (NDC) flagbearer aspirant, Sylvester Mensah, has indicated he and fellow aggrieved aspirants will still push for a more favourable filing fee than the GHc 300,000, from the initial figure of GHc 400,000.
The reduction followed a proposal from the NDC’s Council of Elders, after nine of the aspirants had petitioned over the matter.
The petitioners will be meeting the Council of Elders later today, Thursday.
Speaking on Citi TV’s The Point of View, Mr. Mensah welcomed the reduction as proof of the NDC’s democratic credentials.
“I have a lot of confidence in the party. I have a lot of confidence in our Council of Elders and I am not surprised at all that the council has convened this meeting to discuss the challenge. We have processes for redress in our party and our system works.”
But he insisted that the processes have not ended because the meeting later today could provide an avenue for more compromise.
“We’ll all have input into the discussions… It is not a meeting where we are going to be told take this or leave it. It is going to be an engagement. We are going to discuss.”
“Perhaps the discussion that ensued today would be reviewed and our input will be sought,” he added.
All the aspirants, aside from former President John Mahama, petitioned the party’s Council of Elders over the filing fees and other matters of concern.
In the petition, the nine aspirants proposed that fees for collection of forms be GHS 5,000 whiles the filing fees be GHS100,000.
Mr. Mensah also maintained that the period leading up to the presidential primary is too short.
“Operating the whole process of picking of nominations and elections in 45 days is woefully inadequate. If you add one week and shift it to about 52 days. It is woefully inadequate… One would have expected that a minimum of six weeks would be provided for aspirants to conclude their campaign.”
The new date for the primaries is now Saturday 26th January 2019.
This was one of the changes the Functional Executive Committee (FEC) acting on behalf of the National Executive Committee (NEC) and upon advice from the NDC’s Council of Elders made.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Jenna Jameson just revealed she's lost a total of 80 pounds on the keto diet
- How Florian Munteanu cut weight for 'Creed II'
- How to prepare egg salad
- Thirty-seven dead after C.Africa clashes: UN
- Salah snatches winner as Egypt edge Tunisia in Cup of Nations
- Ghanaian Among LinkedIn's 2018 Top Voices In Philanthropy And Global Development
- Barclays Partners Invest In Africa
- NCCE Decries Negative Attitudes Towards Sanitation
- Dagbon Receives Roadmap For Peace
- US gives Chad boats, trucks for fight against jihadists
- Ten police injured, 30 people arrested at Algerian top-flight match
- Film tribute to French photographer killed in C. Africa
- Nigerian court cuts jail terms for ex-state governors
- Zverev books spot in semis at ATP Finals
- Former 'Black Queens' Players Lead 2018 TOTAL AWCON Trophy Tour In Accra
- Asante Kotoko Policy Analyst Counts Benefits Of Soccerex Exhibition
- Kenya Loses CAS Appeal Over Women's Nations Cup Exclusion
- AWCON 2018: We won’t repeat past mistakes – Cameroon coach
- 'It will be an honour to qualify for France 2019 - Algeria coach
- Nestle calls for more youth leadership
- Women's AFCON: Queens are ready to re-write history by winning this tournament - Hayford
- Goldfields pay $16 million to government
- We are ready for Black Queens – Algeria skipper
- Over 90% of banking fraud comes from employees - BOG
- Ablekuma North NADMO sensitizes churches
- Lifestyle: We've seen the villain in 'Fantastic Beasts' before — here's everything you need to know about him for future movies
- Lifestyle: Your mom’s dating history can impact your own love life, for better or worse
- Lifestyle: 20 of the best Thanksgiving movies of all time, according to critics
- Tech: Leaked photos show Google could be working on a budget Pixel 3 with a headphone jack that costs $400 — and it could have the same amazing camera (GOOG, GOOGL)
- Lifestyle: 12 car brands that have the worst customer experience
- Lifestyle: White Dunkin' Donuts franchisee calls the cops on black woman for using the store's free Wi-Fi without ordering anything
- Lifestyle: The most successful GoFundMe campaigns of all time
- Lifestyle: This 140-day cruise for the '1% of the 1%' visits all 7 continents — here's a look inside the ship, where suites cost up to $240,000 per person
- Lifestyle: A new photo of Princess Eugenie's reception dress shows that it was designed to show off her back scar
- Politics: Newt Gingrich claims a 'green wave' of liberal 'dark money' is electing a slew of Democrats to California House seats but the numbers tell a different story
- Finance: 15 cars that changed the world
- Lifestyle: Melania Trump's hotel bill for a one-day trip to Canada cost $174,000
- Tech: The Leonid meteor shower is peaking this weekend — here's how to see the stunning annual event
- Lifestyle: An off-duty pilot who attacked an Emirates flight attendant and drunkenly threatened to blow up the plane is headed to jail for a year
- WATCH: Godwynn bounces back with "Down Gbeshie"
- APO: Renewal of U.S.-Libya Science and Technology Agreement Increases Opportunities for Youth and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Educators
- 2019 Budget: Residents Expose Ofori-Ata Over Completed Oda Recreational Park