Manchester United showed “big heart and soul” to twice come from behind to earn a draw against Arsenal, said manager Jose Mourinho.
Mourinho dropped high-profile duo Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku after recent disappointing performances which have brought only three points from the past 12 available – and, while quality was lacking, no-one could doubt his side’s endeavour and character.
Goalkeeper David de Gea made an uncharacteristic error as he failed to deal with Shkodran Mustafi’s tame 26th-minute header, which Ander Herrera could not clear before it crossed the line.
United were swiftly level through Anthony Martial after Arsenal keeper Bernd Leno could only half-clear a free-kick to set up an exciting second half.
Substitute Alexandre Lacazette scrambled Arsenal back in front after 68 minutes but United were on terms once more within seconds as Jesse Lingard pounced on Sead Kolasinac’s attempted backpass.
De Gea redeemed himself with a succession of fine saves as both sides had to content themselves with a point, with United now eighth in the Premier League and Arsenal, who extended their unbeaten run this season to 20 games, dropping to fifth.
“As always we made mistakes and we paid for the mistakes,” said Mourinho.
“Today was more the same, but with great spirit and people ready to have a go and fight hard. It was a credit to the team.”
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Jenna Jameson just revealed she's lost a total of 80 pounds on the keto diet
- How Florian Munteanu cut weight for 'Creed II'
- How to prepare egg salad
- Strategy: Amazon's 8-million-square foot HQ2 site in Long Island City will use land previously designated for affordable housing
- Lifestyle: 11 sneaky 'Harry Potter' references you may have missed in 'Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald'
- Thirty-seven dead after C.Africa clashes: UN
- Salah snatches winner as Egypt edge Tunisia in Cup of Nations
- Ghanaian Among LinkedIn's 2018 Top Voices In Philanthropy And Global Development
- Barclays Partners Invest In Africa
- NCCE Decries Negative Attitudes Towards Sanitation
- Dagbon Receives Roadmap For Peace
- US gives Chad boats, trucks for fight against jihadists
- Ten police injured, 30 people arrested at Algerian top-flight match
- Film tribute to French photographer killed in C. Africa
- Nigerian court cuts jail terms for ex-state governors
- Zverev books spot in semis at ATP Finals
- Former 'Black Queens' Players Lead 2018 TOTAL AWCON Trophy Tour In Accra
- Asante Kotoko Policy Analyst Counts Benefits Of Soccerex Exhibition
- Kenya Loses CAS Appeal Over Women's Nations Cup Exclusion
- AWCON 2018: We won’t repeat past mistakes – Cameroon coach
- 'It will be an honour to qualify for France 2019 - Algeria coach
- Nestle calls for more youth leadership
- Women's AFCON: Queens are ready to re-write history by winning this tournament - Hayford
- Goldfields pay $16 million to government
- We are ready for Black Queens – Algeria skipper
- Over 90% of banking fraud comes from employees - BOG
- Ablekuma North NADMO sensitizes churches
- Israeli investors commended for investing outside Accra
- The Events Centre: Gbawe’s iconic face
- Lifestyle: We've seen the villain in 'Fantastic Beasts' before — here's everything you need to know about him for future movies
- Lifestyle: Your mom’s dating history can impact your own love life, for better or worse
- Lifestyle: 20 of the best Thanksgiving movies of all time, according to critics
- Tech: Leaked photos show Google could be working on a budget Pixel 3 with a headphone jack that costs $400 — and it could have the same amazing camera (GOOG, GOOGL)
- Lifestyle: 12 car brands that have the worst customer experience
- Lifestyle: White Dunkin' Donuts franchisee calls the cops on black woman for using the store's free Wi-Fi without ordering anything
- Lifestyle: The most successful GoFundMe campaigns of all time
- Lifestyle: This 140-day cruise for the '1% of the 1%' visits all 7 continents — here's a look inside the ship, where suites cost up to $240,000 per person
- Lifestyle: A new photo of Princess Eugenie's reception dress shows that it was designed to show off her back scar
- Politics: Newt Gingrich claims a 'green wave' of liberal 'dark money' is electing a slew of Democrats to California House seats but the numbers tell a different story
- Finance: 15 cars that changed the world
- Lifestyle: Melania Trump's hotel bill for a one-day trip to Canada cost $174,000
- Tech: The Leonid meteor shower is peaking this weekend — here's how to see the stunning annual event