President Akufo-Addo launching AGI’s Captains of Industry book
President Akufo-Addo says high public debt, high fiscal deficit, high interest rates, rapidly depreciating currency and erratic power supply will not be a feature of his administration.
According to President Akufo-Addo, his administration was determined to continue down the road of fiscal discipline that has seen a marked improvement and strengthened the country’s macro-economy in the last two years.
“Indeed, we will, in this meeting of Parliament, legislate a fiscal rule that will outlaw any attempt by government to generate a fiscal deficit in excess of 5% in any given year,” he said.
The President continued, “I intend also to establish shortly a Presidential Fiscal Advisory Council, composed of reputable economists which will monitor the performance of fiscal management policy, and advice the President on appropriate measures to be taken to ensure fiscal discipline.”
President Akufo-Addo disclosed this at the 7th Association of Ghana Industries (AGI) Ghana Industry Awards over the weekend.
Addressing the gathering made up of business leaders and captains of industry, the President said that even though Ghana has seen a significant improvement in the latest World Bank Index of Doing Business, there is still a lot of work to be done to meet the goal of Ghana becoming the most business friendly environment in Africa, and indeed the world.
“The AGI and Government should work hand-in-hand to improve the business environment and achieve this goal. I would also urge our domestic businesses and industries to aspire towards meeting quality standards for their products and services in order to be able to integrate easily into global markets,” he said.
President Akufo-Addo also called on all private sector players to contribute their quota to the transformation of the Ghanaian economy.
“Creating wealth and prosperity for the majority of our people is a shared responsibility. My government is a listening one, and I encourage stakeholders to utilise the public-private dialogue platforms soon to be institutionalised by government to address issues of mutual concern in achieving the economic and industrial transformation of our country,” he added.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Prez Nana Addo Challenges Normalization Committee To Restructure Ghana Football
- Syria Kurds warn US pullout gives IS chance to rebuild
- ‘Retired assistant IGP’ arrested with 11 ATM cards and 10 chequebooks
- Major British airport forced to shut down for more than 12 hours by someone flying drones over the runway
- Boy Steals Show At ‘Akwasidae’
- Manhunt For 6 Highway Robbers
- Ashaiman Rolls Out Sanitation Fund
- GII Demands Resurrection Of Corruption Cases
- French police win pay rise after post-Yellow Vest go-slow
- An Introduction And Anatomy Of A False Ebola Article
- Between The Forest And The Sea – Akwasidae Of Asanteman On Our Minds
- I would not have finished secondary school if I worried about haters.
- Madagascar counts votes in tense election run-off
- Agreed Rules, COP24 and Climate Change Protest
- Advice and Wishing His Excellency the President a Merry Christmas
- Real Madrid Want To Offer Mourinho £18m A Year Deal
- GOC Takes Lead In Pre-Olympic Games 2020 Preparations
- Minigolf: Forbes Win Maiden Coca-Cola Clubs League
- U-23 AFCON Qualifier: Kwadwo Owusu Elated To Score Hat-Trick In Ghana’s Win Over Togo
- I didn't paint glossy picture of economy - Akufo-Addo reacts to question
- FIFA Ranking: Ghana end 2018 in 51st position, no. 6 in Africa
- Stakeholders demand transparency in fishing sector
- I'm disappointed in Akufo-Addo for insulting think tanks - Franklin Cudjoe
- The murder of 2 Scandinavian backpackers in Morocco has been declared 'an act of terror', and officials are investigating video of an ISIS-style beheading
- Ghanaian government picks a strategy to salvage deposits worth $2 million from vanishing
- Morocco eyes 'terror' link as it makes new arrests in hikers murder
- Travelers had to sleep on floors and grounded planes for hours after rogue drones shut down major London airport just before Christmas
- Belgium end year ranked ahead of world champions France
- Bank of England ends the year by leaving rates unchanged
- Twitter fans call out Sarkodie for 'ignorant' economic tweet
- Oslo property: Nana Addo should respect Ghanaians - Ablakwa
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (SPY, SPX, QQQ, DIA, FB, TLRY, BUD)
- Pulse, Africa’s new media publisher, makes its websites more accessible to all Africans through technology
- UBS: These 11 stocks are set to rocket higher in 2019
- 'Coal, beer, football': German clubs honour last mine
- Sex tape of married female MP caught in bed with colleague lawmaker leaks (Video)
- Indian farmers get $9bn loan relief ahead of elections
- Drone, guinea fowl comparison unncessary - MFWA to Nana Addo
- Monaco appoint experienced Passi to assist Henry
- Madagascar counts votes in tense election run-off
- The Government of Ghana has refused to remove the ban on illegal mining
- Courteney Cox bumped into Tom Selleck in a New York bar and fans are asking what Chandler would say