President Akufo-Addo launching AGI’s Captains of Industry book
President Akufo-Addo says high public debt, high fiscal deficit, high interest rates, rapidly depreciating currency and erratic power supply will not be a feature of his administration.
According to President Akufo-Addo, his administration was determined to continue down the road of fiscal discipline that has seen a marked improvement and strengthened the country’s macro-economy in the last two years.
“Indeed, we will, in this meeting of Parliament, legislate a fiscal rule that will outlaw any attempt by government to generate a fiscal deficit in excess of 5% in any given year,” he said.
The President continued, “I intend also to establish shortly a Presidential Fiscal Advisory Council, composed of reputable economists which will monitor the performance of fiscal management policy, and advice the President on appropriate measures to be taken to ensure fiscal discipline.”
President Akufo-Addo disclosed this at the 7th Association of Ghana Industries (AGI) Ghana Industry Awards over the weekend.
Addressing the gathering made up of business leaders and captains of industry, the President said that even though Ghana has seen a significant improvement in the latest World Bank Index of Doing Business, there is still a lot of work to be done to meet the goal of Ghana becoming the most business friendly environment in Africa, and indeed the world.
“The AGI and Government should work hand-in-hand to improve the business environment and achieve this goal. I would also urge our domestic businesses and industries to aspire towards meeting quality standards for their products and services in order to be able to integrate easily into global markets,” he said.
President Akufo-Addo also called on all private sector players to contribute their quota to the transformation of the Ghanaian economy.
“Creating wealth and prosperity for the majority of our people is a shared responsibility. My government is a listening one, and I encourage stakeholders to utilise the public-private dialogue platforms soon to be institutionalised by government to address issues of mutual concern in achieving the economic and industrial transformation of our country,” he added.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Chief Imam In London
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Ghana needs professional Police to ensure peace - Mrs Sackey
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- Kasena-Nankana West District Assembly to prosecute households without toilet facilities
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- The Corruption Of The Anc Predates Codesa – Never Mind Jacob Zuma’s Presidency
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Statement Of Appreciation From NPP BA Regional Youth
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Ninety (90) Years Of Education In The East Gonja Municipality (Salaga): The Journey So Far
- Ghana Needs Professional Policing for Peace
- Madagascar battles killer measles outbreak
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary
- Assembly To Institute Scholarship Scheme To Deal With Low Level Of Education