President Akufo-Addo and Special Prosecutor Martin Amidu
Former President Jerry John Rawlings has expressed worry about the seeming lackadaisical attitude of the Special Prosecutor – Martin Amidu – in prosecuting corrupt government officials and other individuals who have misappropriated state funds.
“I wonder what is holding him up. We do not want to see the perpetuation of crime. We don’t want to see crimes being committed with impunity. The power of virtue must override the power of vice,” the former president, who is an admirer of Mr. Amidu for his integrity and strong anti-corruption stance, said yesterday.
He made the comment when a delegation from the Assemblies of God, Ghana, paid a courtesy call on him to officially announce the passing away of the church’s former General Superintendent, Rev. Dr. Simon Bamalong Asore.
Mr. Rawlings challenged Mr. Amidu, a former Attorney General, to act swiftly on perceived corrupt public officials – both past and present – to stem the tide of corruption in the country.
He tasked the leadership of the church to find out from Mr. Amidu what might be preventing him from delivering since Ghanaians have high expectations of him in the fight against corruption.
He made reference to President Akufo-Addo’s challenge to the Special Prosecutor to deliver on his mandate.
Mr. Rawlings said the delay in identifying and prosecuting corrupt deeds by public officials would lead to impunity and further perpetuation of crime and corruption.
Mr. Rawlings later seized the opportunity to pay glowing tribute to Rev. Asore, who was a member of the Council of State from 1996 to 2000.
He described the late man of God as a quiet and self-respecting man of serious integrity and discipline.
On why he appointed Dr. Asore to the Council of State, he said, “We were searching for somebody with honour. Some of the tools needed to take out the rustiness were themselves rusty then, but he was a refreshing man of integrity whose spirituality was very high.”
The leader of the delegation, Rev. Dr. Harry Insaidoo, on his part, expressed gratitude to Mr. Rawlings for the role he played in bringing Rev. Asore to the public limelight.
He also thanked the current Akufo-Addo administration for arranging a state funeral for the late ex-General Superintendent.
Speaking about the values and principles that defined the late Rev. Asore, he said the man of God never pursued materialism and worked hard to expand the church from 250 missions to almost 1,900 missions during his tenure as head of the church.
BY Melvin Tarlue
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Chief Imam In London
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Ghana needs professional Police to ensure peace - Mrs Sackey
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- Kasena-Nankana West District Assembly to prosecute households without toilet facilities
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- The Corruption Of The Anc Predates Codesa – Never Mind Jacob Zuma’s Presidency
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Statement Of Appreciation From NPP BA Regional Youth
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Ninety (90) Years Of Education In The East Gonja Municipality (Salaga): The Journey So Far
- Ghana Needs Professional Policing for Peace
- Madagascar battles killer measles outbreak
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary
- Assembly To Institute Scholarship Scheme To Deal With Low Level Of Education