The accident scene
Eight people died on the spot while seven others got seriously injured after a Benz Sprinter Mini Bus carrying 22 passengers from Kumasi to Accra collided with a flat body articulated truck at Boankra, near Kumasi yesterday.
The truck, loaded with floor tiles, was coming from the opposite direction when the accident occurred at about 4.30 am.
The bodies of the deceased, who were all in the sprinter bus, including the driver and his mate, had been conveyed to the Ejisu Government Hospital mortuary pending autopsy.
Seven passengers, who sustained life-threatening injuries, had been admitted at the same hospital.
The Ashanti Regional Commander of the Motor, Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD), Chief Supt Frank Aborakwa, told DAILY GUIDE that the driver of the Sprinter bus with registration number EC 5249-17 attempted to overtake another Sprinter Bus but lost control when it bumped into a speed ramp and collided with the oncoming truck with registration number ER 538 X.
He said the truck driver also lost control and crashed into a nearby house on the outskirts of Boankra.
The Ashanti Regional MMTD Commander, Chief Supt. Frank Abrokwa, said some people at the accident scene helped convey the injured people to the hospital for treatment.
It took rescuers, mainly local community members, more than an hour to get all the passengers out of the mangled bus.
An eyewitness, Abawa Ruth, who described the scene of the accident to DAILY GUIDE, stated that several body parts were strewn on the road immediately after the accident as residents rushed to the scene.
“It was really a mess here with body parts which were picked up one by one by the police,” she said.
“Some of the passengers were thrown out from the bus, while others were trapped with broken limbs and crushed heads.
According to her, some bodies were also taken to the morgue by the police who reportedly arrived at the scene around 5:30 am.
The Ejisu Police said officers were confronted by a scene of “complete carnage” when they arrived at the scene.
Three were died at the spot while five died shortly after being transported to the hospital.
The police corroborated the account of the witnesses, and added that families of some of the victims had been informed accordingly.
From Ernest Kofi Adu & I.F. Joe Awuah Jnr, Kumasi
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Amewu unsure of new ECG owners
- 12 Exciting Talents In Europe With African Heritage
- These 5 car companies are owned by Africans and giving international brands a run for their money
- How Deputy Commissioner of Police Escaped Being Beheaded During Presidential Election
- 6 alternative ways to celebrate Ghana’s Independence Day
- EOCO to probe US $178 million contract to KelniGVG and Global Voice Group
- NDC has elected 'bloody' flagbearer - David Prah
- DCE Donates 100 bags Of Cement To Logba Tota Community For Tourist Info Centre
- Tottenham: Doubts Over Team Mentality Will Remain Until They Win Trophy, Says Lee Dixon
- More Car Assembly Plants Coming
- Chief Imam In London
- Man Kills Wife, Attempts Suicide At Ashaiman
- Work progressing on N4 footbridges
- If There's Anyone Who Disgraced The Presidency, Then It Is Kennedy Agyapong
- Macron Calls For France-Italy Ties To Be Mended
- Aisha Ahmad, Ahmed Kuru may replace Godwin Emefiele as CBN Governor
- Those 13 months in jail were the most difficult period of my life - Kotoko star Kwame Bonsu
- Shutdown Multi Credit Savings And Loans,Yaa Asantewaa Rural Bank in Kumasi- CVM To BoG
- “Kotoko will qualify” - Sarfo Gyamfi
- Meet the security guard who took bullet for Nkrumah in an attempted assassination in 1964
- Eric Bekoe Faces Prince Tagoe…In A Special Kotoko-Hearts Clash
- Swedru Girls' Model Junior High School inaugurated
- Ghana needs professional Police to ensure peace - Mrs Sackey
- Ayawaso Probe: 30 Persons Conveyed To Brempong’s House To Distribute Food
- GN Savings to pay salary arrears of government employees, Zoomlion workers, Pensioners – CEO
- Ofosu-Ampofo was never clear-headed, sober enough to lead the NDC – Gyampo
- Ayawaso Probe: Eye Witness Confesses To Being An Ex-Militia
- Student Counsellors of UEW canvass support in the fight against Hepatitis B
- Kasena-Nankana West District Assembly to prosecute households without toilet facilities
- Effutu branch of GHAPS marks 2019 week celebration
- The Corruption Of The Anc Predates Codesa – Never Mind Jacob Zuma’s Presidency
- Police Mad At NPP – Says NDC
- Sissala East Patrons Review BECE Results After Poor Performance
- Multimedia Grabs Top Sports Host
- Statement Of Appreciation From NPP BA Regional Youth
- Two of three bank mergers confirmed
- UBA group launches full banking operations in the UK
- Ninety (90) Years Of Education In The East Gonja Municipality (Salaga): The Journey So Far
- Ghana Needs Professional Policing for Peace
- Madagascar battles killer measles outbreak
- Hohoe schools observe Ghana's 62nd independence anniversary
- Assembly To Institute Scholarship Scheme To Deal With Low Level Of Education