Heyman Adu (middle), Chief News Editor A. R. Gomda (right), Ag Editor William Yaw Owusu (left) in a group picture with the student
THE CHIEF News Editor of Daily Guide Newspaper, A.R. Gomda, has advised journalism students to inculcate the habit of reading wide in order to become successful in their career.
“It is important to read, read, read, read everything. Everything is important in journalism and in life. Just be inquisitive so as to learn and know a bit of everything,” he said.
Mr. Gomda gave the advice when he interacted with 20 students from the Ghana Institute of Journalism (GIJ) who visited Daily Guide last Friday to learn about newspaper production.
He also educated the students about the pre-computer days of newspaper production, the sources of news, story writing, newspaper design, proofreading and common terminologies in the newspaper industry.
The Ag Editor, William Yaw Owusu, while addressing the students shared insight on how news stories are gathered and the importance of reading.
He also entreated students to listen to good radio stations to improve both the acceptable use of the English Language and news reporting
Mr. Owusu urged the students to always seek the thoughts of others and to accept criticisms when they are made regarding their reports as journalists.
Also addressing the students was Jamila A. Okertchiri, who is now a health reporter at Daily Guide. The award-winning journalist also shared her experiences with the students and urged them to follow their interests for the purpose of specialization.
“Inasmuch as you want to do or know a bit of everything, you should have some kind of specialization in a topic when it comes to journalism,” she added.
The visit which lasted for two hours saw the students tour Daily Guide’s printing press, including the company’s newly established radio station (Radio Guide) and television station (DGN).
Mrs. Heyman Adu, a lecturer at GIJ, who led the students, said the visit was to expose student journalists to practical journalism as well as encourage and inspire them.
Mrs. Adu asked the Chief News Editor to consider collaborating with GIJ in the training of student-journalists.
“I believe we could collaborate in several ways where Daily Guide would be of help to especially western publications limited. If that is done, our student would be able to benefit,” she added.
By: Brimah, Mohammed
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- An attack on one journalist is an attack on the entire press agentry - V. L. K. Djokoto
- Momade elected as Mozambique's opposition leader
- Netanyahu set for first-ever visit by Israel PM to Chad
- Tracing The Roots Of Poverty In Mineral Rich Africa
- Prestea/Huni-valley: Petepom MA School Gets Ultra-modern KG Block
- Mozambique ruling party grapples with state debt scandal
- Turkish Side Göztepe And Chelsea Agree Loan Deal For Baba Rahman
- Fatal crash near 37 Military Hospital kills 5
- IGP storms Yendi for final funeral rites of Ya-Na Andani
- Partner of renowned Ghanaian investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas shot dead
- SHS teachers under NaBCo inexperienced - PTA
- How NAM 1 Was Arrested In Dubai
- ‘CHINESE ORDER’
- NDC Election Off
- NPP Lambasts NDC Over Menzgold
- Deadly Explosion At Military Base
- NDC Blames NPP For ‘Promoting’ Menzgold
- MFWA Condemns Killing of Anas’ Team Member, Demands Prompt Investigations
- The Murder Of Ahmed Hussein-Suale, Is A Vindication Of His Good Works
- No-Confidence Survivor: Theresa May and Brexit
- Restiveness In Alavanyo
- Ndewura Jakpa “Stabbed-In-The-Back”
- Human Beings Are Destroying Life On Earth But Deluding Ourselves That We Are Not
- Amidu Writes: Crime Will Always Be Treated As Crime In The Office Of The Special Prosecutor – Stop Politicizing Purely Criminal Conduct
- Zimbabwe Awaits Russian Investors
- Shambolic Attempt By The Kwabre East MP To Hoodwink Constituents Shameful And Insulting
- CAN: Persecution Of Ex-Christians And Witch Hunting In Nigeria
- CF CC: Augustine Sefa Ruled Out Of Kotoko-Coton Sports Match
- Australian Open 2019: Halep Survives Scare To Beat Kenin To Advance
- Caf CC: Ghana's Daniel Laryea Handed Sfaxien,Vipers Playoff Decider
- CAF CC: Kotoko Supporters Told Not To Lower Their Expectations Ahead of Coton Sports Clash In Kumasi
- CAF CC: Kotoko Player Cautioned Against Complacency Ahead Of Coton Sports Encounter In Kumasi
- Kotoko must check revenue leakages at gates — Nana Yaw Owusu
- Baba Rahman to join Turkish top-flight side Goztepe
- Police launch investigation into murder of Ahmed Suale
- NAM1 uses 'beautiful girls' to lure 'big men' to Menzgold
- Godfred Saka leaves Karela United
- Referendum on electing MMDCEs and district elections slated for September
- How NAM 1 was arrested in Dubai
- 5 perish in accident near 37 Military Hospital