Kwesi Amoako-Atta (3rd right) with some officials of GHA at the programme
The Ghana Highway Authority (GHA) raked in GH¢1.8 million in revenue last year from 36 toll booths constructed on some highways across the country.
In 2017, GHA recorded GH¢1.79 million, representing a 4.3 per cent increase.
The Roads and Highways Minister, Kwesi Amoako-Atta, revealed this when he officially commissioned four new toll booths with Point of Sale (POS) devices at Badukrom in the Shama District of the Western Region yesterday.
POS devices are electronic gadgets used to process payments at retail locations by recording transactions and printing receipts.
The toll booth was originally located at Beposo on the Takoradi-Accra main road and close to the bridge over River Pra in the area.
The dilapidated structure was located within the Beposo town, which caused frequent accidents in the area.
To this end, there was the need for GHA to relocate the toll booth to a convenient and spacious place.
He said that the POS devices
would ensure tracking of tickets sold at any period by toll booth attendants.
Mr. Amoako-Atta explained that the machine had been introduced to assist GHA and the Ghana Road Fund Secretariat (GRFS) to curb revenue loss since it would minimize under-declaration of sales.
The new facility also has automatic vehicle counting devices to make sure that all vehicles that pay the toll on a daily basis are recorded.
The minister indicated that the GH¢2.2 million facility, dubbed ‘Badukrom Plaza’ was constructed by the Bridge and Maintenance Unit of the Ghana Highway Authority.
Mr. Amoako Atta indicated that the new facility has a beautiful canopy with four toll booths, paved road approach, three room offices with washrooms, closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras and solar power.
He mentioned that there was an elaborate programme to improve all 36 toll booths in the country.
He also revealed that very soon, all toll booths would come under different management which would be expected to renovate them in the country.
The minister charged all motorists not to discard tickets issued to them at the toll booths since there would be random check of tickets on the road by personnel of the GHA.
He was hopeful this year’s revenue target of GH¢1.9 million from the toll booths would be met to assist in the construction and rehabilitation of roads.
From Emmanuel Opoku, Takoradi
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- An attack on one journalist is an attack on the entire press agentry - V. L. K. Djokoto
- Momade elected as Mozambique's opposition leader
- Netanyahu set for first-ever visit by Israel PM to Chad
- Tracing The Roots Of Poverty In Mineral Rich Africa
- Prestea/Huni-valley: Petepom MA School Gets Ultra-modern KG Block
- Mozambique ruling party grapples with state debt scandal
- Sudan reinforces Khartoum ahead of march
- Tullow Hopes To Drill, Complete 7 New Wells In Jubilee And TEN Oil Fields
- Kennedy Agyapong Has Questions To Answer In The Murder Of Anas' Partner
- Cross party Brexit talks begin after May survives confidence vote
- Turkish Side Göztepe And Chelsea Agree Loan Deal For Baba Rahman
- Ghanaian Defender Issahaku Yakubu Joins Egyptian Club Wadi Degla
- Inter Allies To Hold Two Weeks Justifier
- Chelsea Star Ruben Loftus-Cheek Denies Online Rumours That He's Gay
- Fury Deserves Bigger Purse for Wilder Rematch
- Fulham’s Approach For Attamah Larweh Rejected By Basaksehir
- Bayern Munich Step Up Chase For Highly Rated Hudson-Odoi
- Social media reactions to killing of Anas' undercover investigator
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Fatal crash near 37 Military Hospital kills 5
- IGP storms Yendi for final funeral rites of Ya-Na Andani
- Partner of renowned Ghanaian investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas shot dead
- SHS teachers under NaBCo inexperienced - PTA
- Exclusive Interview: Former Cover Drive lead singer Amanda Reifer reveals why her music has gotten darker
- 53 soldiers sue Menzgold over GHS 2.5m locked-up investment
- Here’s why you need to publish content when you’re looking for job
- Police officer, 2 National Security operatives reportedly busted for robbery
- About 70 shops razed in Odorna Market Fire
- How NAM 1 Was Arrested In Dubai
- ‘CHINESE ORDER’
- NDC Election Off
- NPP Lambasts NDC Over Menzgold
- Deadly Explosion At Military Base
- NDC Blames NPP For ‘Promoting’ Menzgold
- MFWA Condemns Killing of Anas’ Team Member, Demands Prompt Investigations
- The Murder Of Ahmed Hussein-Suale, Is A Vindication Of His Good Works
- No-Confidence Survivor: Theresa May and Brexit
- Restiveness In Alavanyo
- Ndewura Jakpa “Stabbed-In-The-Back”
- Human Beings Are Destroying Life On Earth But Deluding Ourselves That We Are Not