Rev. Dr. Daniel Ogbarmey-Tetteh
Director General of Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), Rev. Dr. Daniel Ogbarmey-Tetteh, has revealed that he is also a victim of a failed investment.
Failing to mention the name of the investment firm, the former vice president of Databank told Francis Abban on the Morning Starr Monday that he lost his money shortly after investing in the policy.
“I wouldn’t want to mention the organization but I put some money in some company and after a week or so it fell flat. I just have to lick my wounds and move on,” he said.
Dr. Ogbarmey-Tetteh urged Ghanaians to do strict background checks of investment firms before they sign up with them.
“When there is a big juicy package from an agency then there is a higher risk so our commission was to inform and create awareness that was why we issued several notice to the public. One should be interested in the corporate governance of the organization, interested whether it’s been licensed or not and details underlying their operation. Regulated business should play along some rules and regulation and that one has to familiarize itself with these rules on our website or approach SEC if you are in doubt or send us email as some people has done.
“If you need economic development, you need patient capital and you can only get that in the security industry. If an agency promises you higher returns but low risk, look for the exit doors,” Dr. Ogbarmey-Tetteh advised.
He also stated that SEC will, in the coming days, issue a statement on the growing cases of cryptocurrency in Ghana.
“One of these days, SEC will issue a notice on cryptocurrency. The laws of the country do not recognize cryptocurrency as currency or not. Globally, there are no rules regularizing cryptocurrency. We want to assure the investors that regulation is being setup by the commission to ensure the players in the industries are doing the right thing.”
Commenting on Menzgold, the SEC boss said claims that they caused the collapse of the popular gold trading firm are untrue.
“I don’t think SEC is responsible for the collapse of Menzgold. There was something fundamentally flawed in the business model and so it was bound to happen,” he pointed out.
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- Nigeria's Buhari says well enough for second term
- Free Zones Boss Okyere Baafi Emerges Best CEO For 2018
- When The Banks Breed Greed
- Circle Neoplan Station Catches Fire
- Suspected anglophone separatists release 30 kidnapped in Cameroon: security source
- A Letter To My Fellow Ghanaians! –The Ten Years Challenge
- Killing Ghanaian Businesses To Establish Foreign Ones Is An Exercise In Mediocrity
- 'Piloloo' At Eastern Library
- Laurent Gbagbo Acquittal By ICC--A Positive Development To The Court’s Image
- IPR Releases Nominees For 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- S2S Taekwondo Begins At Dansoman
- WISA Honours Alice “Baby Jet” Annum
- Ghanaian movie “Keteke” nominated for 2019 FESPACO in Burkina Faso
- Thomas Partey's Atletico Madrid dumped out of Copa Del Rey
- Ghanaians used to call me ugly until Patapaa came to my rescue – Lil Win
- Nigerian Technician convicted for defilement, incest pleads for mercy
- Major Mahama: Defence counsel describes evidence of witness as untrue
- Buildings at Earthquake-prone zones can collapse during tremors - GGSA
- “First Port Rule” comes into operation in March
- Nigeria: main candidates set out stall as vote looms
- Mahama Gay Activist Photo Endorsed LGBT Rights - NPP Equalises Menzgold
- Mystery of Easter Island's Statues Finally Addressed
- NDC Accused of Diverting 100 Vehicles Meant for Education Ministry
- Man Secretly Marries 3 Women
- Political Vigilantism: There Will Be An Explosion in 2020 If...
- Human Rights Lawyer Wants GBA President Step Aside Over Rape Allegations
- UNHCR Provides Sustainable Support to Refugees in Ghana
- 80 Shops Gutted by Odorna Market Fire
- Abbad Reda Appointed CEO of MTN Afghanistan
- I Am Ready To Contest For GFA Presidency - Fred Pappoe
- Nwankwo Kanu Charges Nigeria To Clinch AFCON 2019
- Hearts of Oak Rubbishes President Cup Contest With Gt. Olympics
- AFCON 2019: Our Main Target Is To Win The Tourney - NFF President
- Derby Beat Southampton On Penalties In FA Cup Thriller
- Henry's Monaco Draw With Vieira's Nice
- Girona Shock Atletico In Copa del Rey
- Juventus 1-0 AC Milan: Cristiano Ronaldo Header Wins Supercoppa For Juve
- Over 80 shops razed by Odorna Market fire
- Fire fighters battle Odorna Market Fire
- PTA Council Cries Over 'Inexperienced' NABCo Teachers Used for SHS