An Accra Circuit Court has sentenced a vulganiser to 10 years’ imprisonment for possessing narcotic drugs without lawful authority.
Evans Kwame Adablah was arrested on June 15, 2016, at Dansoman in Accra following police intelligence that he was peddling dried leaves suspected to be cannabis.
He was arrested at Dansoman last stop with a black handbag which contained eight compressed parcels of the illegal substance.
According to the police, the convict admitted the offence in his caution statement but vehemently denied it when he was put before court.
He changed his story before the court, stating that he found the substance after a boy had lifted his kiosk from a piece of land after he was ordered to do so.
He said he initially wanted to submit the substance to the police but a friend he identified as Amankwa told him that he could become rich if he sold the substance.
He therefore pleaded with the said Amankwa to help him sell the drugs. It was then that he was arrested by the police.
The court, presided over by Aboagye Tandoh, after weighing the evidence put before him held that the prosecution led by Superintendent of Police Patience Mario was able to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt.
He said the statement by the convict that he found the substance under a lifted kiosk was an afterthought to prevent the law from taking its course.
He held that the forensic lab test result revealed that the substance was indeed cannabis and Evans Kwame Adablah knew what was in his possession.
He found the convict guilty and sentenced him to 10 years’ imprisonment in hard labour.
Mr. Tandoh further ordered the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the police service to destroy the substance in the presence of the court registrar.
BY Gibril Abdul Razak
Most Watched Videos
Most Read News
- Eyeing the White House: The Democratic Field
- NDC presidential election slated for 23rd February 2019
- Nigeria's Buhari says well enough for second term
- Free Zones Boss Okyere Baafi Emerges Best CEO For 2018
- When The Banks Breed Greed
- Circle Neoplan Station Catches Fire
- Suspected anglophone separatists release 30 kidnapped in Cameroon: security source
- A Letter To My Fellow Ghanaians! –The Ten Years Challenge
- Killing Ghanaian Businesses To Establish Foreign Ones Is An Exercise In Mediocrity
- 'Piloloo' At Eastern Library
- Laurent Gbagbo Acquittal By ICC--A Positive Development To The Court’s Image
- IPR Releases Nominees For 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- S2S Taekwondo Begins At Dansoman
- WISA Honours Alice “Baby Jet” Annum
- Ghanaian movie “Keteke” nominated for 2019 FESPACO in Burkina Faso
- Thomas Partey's Atletico Madrid dumped out of Copa Del Rey
- Ghanaians used to call me ugly until Patapaa came to my rescue – Lil Win
- Nigerian Technician convicted for defilement, incest pleads for mercy
- Major Mahama: Defence counsel describes evidence of witness as untrue
- Nigeria: main candidates set out stall as vote looms
- Mahama Gay Activist Photo Endorsed LGBT Rights - NPP Equalises Menzgold
- Mystery of Easter Island's Statues Finally Addressed
- NDC Accused of Diverting 100 Vehicles Meant for Education Ministry
- Man Secretly Marries 3 Women
- Political Vigilantism: There Will Be An Explosion in 2020 If...
- Human Rights Lawyer Wants GBA President Step Aside Over Rape Allegations
- UNHCR Provides Sustainable Support to Refugees in Ghana
- 80 Shops Gutted by Odorna Market Fire
- Abbad Reda Appointed CEO of MTN Afghanistan
- I Am Ready To Contest For GFA Presidency - Fred Pappoe
- Nwankwo Kanu Charges Nigeria To Clinch AFCON 2019
- Hearts of Oak Rubbishes President Cup Contest With Gt. Olympics
- AFCON 2019: Our Main Target Is To Win The Tourney - NFF President
- Derby Beat Southampton On Penalties In FA Cup Thriller
- Henry's Monaco Draw With Vieira's Nice
- Girona Shock Atletico In Copa del Rey
- Juventus 1-0 AC Milan: Cristiano Ronaldo Header Wins Supercoppa For Juve
- Over 80 shops razed by Odorna Market fire
- Fire fighters battle Odorna Market Fire
- PTA Council Cries Over 'Inexperienced' NABCo Teachers Used for SHS
- Bel-Aqua Bottled-Water Is Not Contaminated – Management
- Effective Living Series 2019: Doreen Baffoe Lists 10 Types of Employees Easily Recognized and Promoted